2022 Pistons Offseason

Deleterious

The Celtics offered Brown, guard Derrick White and a draft pick to the Nets for Durant, sources said. The proposal was rejected, and Brooklyn has asked Boston — in any proposal — to include Brown, Defensive Player of the Year Marcus Smart, draft picks and potentially one more rotation player, those sources added. Currently, the Celtics are less inclined to include Smart along with multiple other player or pick assets, but the franchise is mulling over next steps on how to approach discussions.

As of right now, the Celtics have emerged as a serious possibility as a landing spot for Durant. They have tremendous interest in bringing him in and view him as a piece that could take them over that final hurdle. Although there is work to be done, there is a deal to be had that would suffice the Nets’ overwhelming ask.

I get that Brooklyn has to counter and try to get more.  But not sure they will get a better package than Brown from another team.

Phoenix - People say just wait till Ayton becomes trade eligible in the middle of the year and trade him.  Problem is he has a no trade clause for the next year.  So he can kill any trade to a team he doesn't like.

Miami - IMO any deal has to be built around Bam.  And currently it is illegal for Miami to trade Bam to Brooklyn.  So not sure how that gets done.

Golden State - They seem pretty serious on transitioning from their current core to their young players.  I doubt they are willing to part with guys like Kuminga or Moody.

Toronto is still in the mix probably.  All reports are they have zero interest in trading Barnes.

Unless Toronto is willing to give up Barnes I definitely don't see a scenario where they get anybody as good as Brown. It's a fun scenario to think about and I no it won't happen but what if OKC offers up SGA one of their young non Giddey/Chet players and some picks for KD? Giddey, Chet and KD along with whatever young guys that aren't part of the trade could cause nightmares for opposing teams but they still probably wouldn't be good enough to win the whole thing with which is why it won't happen but it's fun to think about. 

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2022/7/11/23203674/bill-simmons-nba-trade-value-2022-summer-list

BTW here's Bill Simmons' latest trade value list. Since I brought up SGA in the post above I was surprised to see that he only had him at 42, in fact he had Jaden Ivey 1 spot higher. Cade was all the way up at number 15 in the "True Franchise Guys" tier 1 spot ahead of Barnes. FWIW he had Mobley at 9 in the "Untouchables" tier. 

11 hours ago, Deleterious said:

I am old enough to remember when these were considered some of the worst jerseys in pro sports.

They're still terrible. And why would we want to usher in the new era of Piston basketball by linking them to one of the worst? Use the reds from '04, not these.

On 7/19/2022 at 5:03 PM, Deleterious said:

If I had a chance to move companies for the same pay but the job was easier, I would do it in a heartbeat. So would you, so would everyone.

Actually, I had that opportunity more times than I can count in my career. For more pay as well. Instead I chose to stick with the team and the culture that I built and to take on the challenge of building that into something bigger. We did, it succeeded, and it was something that I could never have experienced by jumping ship and taking an easier job.

There are many in this world who are content with settling and just making their life easier, but that's not what I expect from the <1% of players who make it to the NBA level. Those people I expect to have competitive pride as well as a desire to achieve greatness and create a legacy.

Sometimes the best things in life require challenge, sacrifice, and a strong sense of competitiveness to achieve.

1 hour ago, Betrayer said:

Actually, I had that opportunity more times than I can count in my career. For more pay as well. Instead I chose to stick with the team and the culture that I built and to take on the challenge of building that into something bigger. We did, it succeeded, and it was something that I could never have experienced by jumping ship and taking an easier job.

There are many in this world who are content with settling and just making their life easier, but that's not what I expect from the <1% of players who make it to the NBA level. Those people I expect to have competitive pride as well as a desire to achieve greatness and create a legacy.

Sometimes the best things in life require challenge, sacrifice, and a strong sense of competitiveness to achieve.

I will guess that your employer valued what you brought to their company and culture.  They were invested in your success and personal happiness.   There was some loyalty to who you were and the work that you had accomplished. That’s how good corporations operate.  

The NBA is not this way.

It is 100% what can you do for me right now to help the bottom line of getting closer to winning a championship.   If they can find another body that will help them get even a little step closer, the player is out regardless of the prior relationship.  Today’s players have figured this out and have taken the same approach.  They are going where the best money or best opportunity to win a championship depending on their personal motivation.  

Edited by Hongbit

18 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I will guess that your employer valued what you brought to their company and culture.  They were invested in your success and personal happiness.   There was some loyalty to who you were and the work that you had accomplished. That’s how good corporations operate.  

The NBA is not this way.

It is 100% what can you do for me right now to help the bottom line of getting closer to winning a championship.   If they can find another body that will help them get even a little step closer, the player is out regardless of the prior relationship.  Today’s players have figured this out and have taken the same approach.  They are going where the best money or best opportunity to win a championship depending on their personal motivation.  

I don't see this in regards to the Durant situation. They signed him and paid him when he was injured and going to miss an entire season. They brought in the players he wanted. They brought in the coach he wanted. They did everything he wanted.

• Like 1

the nets rebuilt completely from yhe ground up after the disaster of the garnett/pierce trade.  they brought in a great coaching staff, stuck to a philosophy, and began to build a winning culture.

then they tore it all down to sign an injured durant and a petulant shit in kyrie.  and then doubled down by trading for fat james harden.  topped it off with a ridiculous coaching hire.

they made this bed and now they can sit and die in it.

32 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I don't see this in regards to the Durant situation. They signed him and paid him when he was injured and going to miss an entire season. They brought in the players he wanted. They brought in the coach he wanted. They did everything he wanted.

He’s a hired gun.   Nets shouldn’t have expected any long term loyalty.  It’s their error for catering the future around someone that was essentially treating his time with them as a consulting gig.  

Regarding the jerseys... I'm 48 and hated them.  My son is 21 and he and his friends loved them.  He bought one last year and I guess the story is... we're not the demographic they are after anymore.  Makes me sad.  I'm going out to yell at some clouds now.

• Like 1

I'm cool with the throwbacks, especially if it is something they only wear like 10 times a year or something but it is weird to see all the love they are getting considering how disliked they were among many of the fans at the time.

I wonder if they will go all out and have a matching floor for the jerseys too like most other teams do or if Gores will just be cheap and have them play on the red white and blue court despite wearing teal? 

why would the league retire kobe's number?  

i get that his death was a tragedy (much moreso because of his daughter), but a league wide number retirement?  seems excessive.

they should name an award for him. maybe the most selfish player in the league that season?  jk.

maybe set up a scholarship or a program in his name for something to do with youth girls bball?  he seemed to be into that and his role as a "girl dad" before he died.  reinventing himself after his...unfortunate...escapades in denver.

Definitely one of the best of all time and certainly the best winner of all time along with being one of the most influential ambassadors.  

So weird though, just the other day a video showed up in yt recommendations about Russell so I thought to myself "I can't remember if he passed away or not?" so I went and checked and saw he was still alive. Two days later he dies, same thing happened to me with John Madden last year. I guess I need to stop googling old athlete/celebs to see if they are still alive.