2022 Pistons Offseason

Deleterious

He failed so hard for so many years straight that at the time I could really only come up with two ways it was possible to fail that hard:

1) It was built through sheer luck (or someone else's influence)
2) He was actively working to ruin the franchise and do everything wrong on purpose

To this day I'm still wondering what the answer was.

5 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

He failed so hard for so many years straight that at the time I could really only come up with two ways it was possible to fail that hard:

1) It was built through sheer luck (or someone else's influence)
2) He was actively working to ruin the franchise and do everything wrong on purpose

To this day I'm still wondering what the answer was.

he really had a strange career as a gm, from being one of the best to being one of the worst almost overnight. 

I find it hard to believe that Pistons team was built on sheer luck. All those players were castoffs from other teams plus a late 1st round pick who just all fit so well together. It was a situation where the sum was greater than the parts. I just don't think that happens by accident. For some reason, he lost his marbles and traded Billups and over payed for role players. I'm not sure we will ever see a front court of Monroe-Drummond-Smith of 3 total non shooters. 

8 minutes ago, buddha said:

he really had a strange career as a gm, from being one of the best to being one of the worst almost overnight. 

He had one good idea that was ideal for a particular circumstance   Think of it like a musician that writes one great song and never charts again 

Edited by gehringer_2

8 hours ago, Betrayer said:

Or maybe Hammond had a lot more to do with Dumars' success than people think.

That would be a more viable opinion if Hammond had any success outside of Detroit.  He has been pretty bad anywhere he was GM.

Joe was a huge success as GM even though things spiraled at the end.  Most organizations would kill to win a title in 14 years and there are still some teams that have never won.  

Everything - and I mean everything - would have to click perfectly for them to be in the play-in. Not because they're a bad team acting like they might be good (the Dre years), but because they're all about 19-22 years old. They simply need another couple years to grow and learn. Spurs got a play-in game with 34 wins in the West, but in the East it was 43 wins for Charlotte.

I'll reserve my final predictions for October, but right now I'm thinking 32-35 wins based upon what they did in the second half of last season. I don't think the loss of Grant hurts them much and the addition of some front-court vertical threats,  some athleticism, and the growth of the second and third year players should help. Shooting and spacing (along with youth) will be the things holding them back

27 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I guess it depends on how much stock you put into how they finished with a healthy Cade and Bagley last year cause weren't they like a .500 team in the 2nd half of the season in games Cade played in?

Looks like they were 11-21 from game #42 on when Cade played.