2022 Pistons Offseason

Deleterious

13 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Four games on national TV. Three on NBATV and one on TNT.  The TNT game is against Philly. 

Six game West coast trip around Thanksgiving. Then another five game trip around New Years.

First five games aren't bad but then it gets ugly. Atlanta x2, Golden State, Milwaukee x2.

Four national TV games ties them with 6 other teams for the least amount.

Over half (42) of Golden States games are on national TV.  Lakers are second with 39.

This fascinates me.  If you subscribe I recommend reading the article.

How the 2022-23 NBA schedule was made: Everything you could ever want to know from the person in charge of it

Where do you start when it comes to putting together an 82-game schedule for 30 teams? When did this all start for you and the team?

So it’s essentially a year-round process. With spikes in work and focus. The first thing we do each year is gather the arena availabilities from all 30 teams for the following season. That actually starts the prior fall; it’s usually around November. We’ll send out the first memo and have teams go in and for the first time input the availabilities in their arenas, and typically at that point most of it’s available. San Antonio has the rodeo, LA has The Grammys, there might be a Disney On Ice tour set, but not a lot of events are confirmed at that point. And then through the fall, winter, spring, teams are just continually updating our portal with changes to their availability. So concert gets scheduled, an event gets scheduled, the NFL schedule comes out and all of a sudden we know dates we need to avoid in certain markets. Like in Philadelphia where they share a parking lot we can’t have an Eagles game at the same time as a Sixers game. So they’re just updating that throughout the year. That’s sort of a passive process that goes on with, again, a couple of key points where we get a flood of information. Like when the NHL schedule comes out and all of a sudden we know which dates will be used by our NHL teams, which ones not. So that goes on and then we really start in earnest on the game scheduling part of it right after Finals. The champion is a big determinant of some of our national television windows — opening night and the ring ceremony. A fairly unwritten, but consistent tradition now of the champion hosting a game on Christmas. So the Finals start that process.

Free agency, trades, and the early July timeframe, obviously, are critical for our national television schedule as well. And so I’d say first, second week of July, we’re for the first time sitting down with our network partners to start to put together a television schedule, which effectively serves as the backbone for the rest of the schedule. So we have something on the order of 170 or so national television games. Once you set those you then start to sort of pencil in road trips — especially the cross-country ones around that. You know Golden State is going to play at Boston on a certain date and by definition they’re going to be on an East Coast trip, so you might look for other things — like are they going to play at New York on television? They can play at Miami on television. Things like that.

We sort of use that TV schedule and those long road trips as the building block. That’s in the early July timeframe. Then we pass it off to folks on my team — data scientists led by Patrick Harrel — and they input those feed games, if you will, into our software, which is a proprietarily-designed optimizer that takes all of the input games, locks those on the board and then builds a 1,230 game schedule around it with all of the constraints that we’ve put in there around what we want to see with travel and back-to-backs and weekend nights and competitive balance and spreading out of matchups and all these various considerations. And it’ll say, Okay, obviously you can’t perfect everything but here’s the best I can do — computer says that — with all the constraints you gave me, it’ll spit out a bunch of schedules. After poring over literally billions. Then our team will sort of review those. See which ones are promising, which ones to toss out. They might send some back to the optimizer and say, “Okay, this one looks pretty good. But here’s a bunch of issues we’re spotting, go try to fix those.” And that’ll sort of get us to that maybe early-August timeframe. Then once we get to a point where we’re pretty comfortable, we let the humans do the last little bit of massaging and fixing to clean up any small issues that remain.

We send the draft to the teams. They have a day or two to comment on their schedule, usually confirming that their arenas are available. If they have comments on the more cosmetic side, like, “Hey, I don’t like this road trip because back-to-back is tough. Can I host the game this night?” It’s not often we can address a lot of those, right? Because at that point moving games around doesn’t just impact that team. There’s a domino effect not just for the opponent for that game, but all the other teams as well, and so we’re fairly limited there. But we’ll try to address as much as we can. And then we release the full schedule.

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

This fascinates me.  If you subscribe I recommend reading the article.

How the 2022-23 NBA schedule was made: Everything you could ever want to know from the person in charge of it

It is one of those things that gets underappreciated for how difficult it must be.

I remember maybe 15 or so years ago Sportscenter had a special dedicated to this Husband and Wife who were in charge of MLB scheduling. Its been so long I can't remember the details but if IIRC it was just them two that did the whole leagues schedule and they did it all out of their house with up until just a few years before it aired with just pencil and paper and no cpus. 

11 hours ago, buddha said:

this will be the time when we all complain about them ruining their lottery odds.

This is the first year in a while that I'm not too invested into the lottery. This draft is supposed to be really deep anyway so they should get a good player even if they're in the lower end of the lottery. Some really good wings too which is the Pistons biggest need.

I want to see progression this season. I don't expect miracles but 30-35 wins should be a good target even for a team as young as this one mainly because I expect Cade to be THAT good. If they go under, assuming relatively good health, I'd start to be concerned that maybe this young core isn't quite as good as I think they are.

Edited by NYLion

It would be awesome to get Wembanyama but knowing that you are going to have a 14% chance of getting him even if you finish dead last makes it hard to spend all season rooting for losses. Like NYLion said the draft is supposedly pretty deep so unless you do indeed get Victor there probably isn't much of a difference between picking 2 or 10th so I'll be rooting for wins and most importantly progress from the young guys. 

Damn near looks like a Pistons practice at Rico Hines.  Bottom pic is Cade guarding Steph.

Rico Hines runs the best pickup games for NBA players in the summer.  Strictly NBA players.  A lot of players from all teams there and you normally play with your teammates.  Which is why everyone has on Pistons gear.

cywvwq69omi91.jpg

745tm45h2di91.jpg

• Like 1