2022 Pistons Offseason

Deleterious

1 hour ago, casimir said:

Does this put too much emphasis on winning the tip?

I wonder what the average number of points scored per OT period is?  I searched basketball reference, but to no avail.

I don't think so.  It is not sudden death and your opponent will have to score on 3 (2 is possible with a foul on a made 3 pointer) possessions to win.  Plenty of time to defend.

Another version of that system will be used at the G-League Winter Showcase in Vegas.  They are going to copy the All Star game and set a target score for the 4th quarter.

At the start of the 4th quarter the game clock is shut off.  A target score is set and whichever team hits it first will be the winner.  Sounds like they will take the leading teams score at the end of the 3rd quarter and add 24 points to it.  That is the target score.

Another announcement.  The Ignite Team (The team where the draft prospects play) will play a full 50 game schedule this year.

5 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I don't think so.  It is not sudden death and your opponent will have to score on 3 (2 is possible with a foul on a made 3 pointer) possessions to win.  Plenty of time to defend.

I don’t know.  I think a team can grab a quick 7 in a quick 90 seconds.  It doesn’t happen often, but it isn’t unheard of.  I guess it’ll play itself out in the G league and it’ll go from there.

I suppose in the regular season, OK, fine.  There are 82 games, and if a team misses the playoffs by a game, this new rule shouldn’t be the excuse.  So, if this does become an NBA rule, I wonder if it will also be used in the playoffs?

20 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

At the start of the 4th quarter the game clock is shut off.  A target score is set and whichever team hits it first will be the winner.  Sounds like they will take the leading teams score at the end of the 3rd quarter and add 24 points to it.  That is the target score.

This one sounds more interesting. I could see something like this actually bringing defense back to the NBA......

:classic_dry:

On 9/1/2022 at 4:16 PM, Deleterious said:

Pretty pumped as a Pistons fan to have Mitchell in the conference.  You wont have to take Cleveland seriously.

Sort of feel bad for Mobley and to a lesser extent, Allen.  Garland and Mitchell are the worst defensive backcourt in the league, by far.  You are going to have perimeter players taking free runs at the rim all game.  Ask Gobert how that worked out.

They'll be a fun team to watch that gets a lot of wins in the regular season, but once the playoffs come around their weaknesses will be attacked and exploited. Bigs like Allen get played off the court by 5-out offenses in the playoffs these days and then what happens? The answer: A Layup line. Those two little guards are going to have to score non-stop on high efficiency (not what they're known for) to win playoffs games or be lucky enough to go up against teams that don't have the personnel to drag Allen out of the paint and make them bench him or pay for leaving him on the court.

It was announced yesterday that the French team Victor plays for will be in Vegas to play two exhibition games against the Ignite team.  ESPN will broadcast both games.  I forgot the exact dates but its the first week in October, I think the 4th and 6th.

Scoot Henderson plays for Team Ignite so we will get the #1 lock vs the #2 lock in next years draft.

9 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

You old timers hate any new jerseys though. 

They're ugly, which, OK, that's subjective.  But the numbers are going to be tough to see, essentially black on black with a bit of white outline around the number?  That's a practicality issue for identifying players when you cannot do so from other characteristics during actual live play.

Edited by casimir

So much better than the gray ones. Kinda have a Clippers or maybe a Euroleague vibe, but I don't mind them. Maybe my expectations are low after seeing the teal come back - anything is better than that garbage.

Give me more of the red. Loved last year's reds and would love to see the 04' reds come back as well.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

So much better than the gray ones. Kinda have a Clippers or maybe a Euroleague vibe, but I don't mind them. Maybe my expectations are low after seeing the teal come back - anything is better than that garbage.

Give me more of the red. Loved last year's reds and would love to see the 04' reds come back as well.

Definely agree about the reds, I think the last Pistons jersey I got was a Billups red one. Loved that look. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

I thought of the Clippers, also.

And, yes, the reds were just fine.

Seems to have a very American slant to it.  Real Madrid is the first foreign team on the list at #13.  The NFL completely dominates the list and is easily the worlds most valuable league.  60% of the teams in the top 50 are NFL teams.  The NBA is #2 at 14%.  Soccer is hurt a bit by having 4 leagues on the list.  No Michigan teams from any sport made the list.

The NBA teams on the list:

• New York Knicks: $5.8 billion (ranked #6 overall)

• Golden State Warriors: $5.6 billion (#8)

• Los Angeles Lakers: $5.5 billion (#10)

• Chicago Bulls: $3.65 billion (#38)

• Boston Celtics: $3.55 billion (#41)

• Clippers: $3.3 billion (#46) - Gotta figure this value explodes after the new arena is open.

• Brooklyn Nets: $3.2 billion (#48)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2022/09/08/the-worlds-50-most-valuable-sports-teams-2022/?sh=2f50bdbc385c