2022 Pistons Offseason

Deleterious

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

Seems to have a very American slant to it.  Real Madrid is the first foreign team on the list at #13.  The NFL completely dominates the list and is easily the worlds most valuable league.  60% of the teams in the top 50 are NFL teams.  The NBA is #2 at 14%.  Soccer is hurt a bit by having 4 leagues on the list.  No Michigan teams from any sport made the list.

The NBA teams on the list:

• New York Knicks: $5.8 billion (ranked #6 overall)

• Golden State Warriors: $5.6 billion (#8)

• Los Angeles Lakers: $5.5 billion (#10)

• Chicago Bulls: $3.65 billion (#38)

• Boston Celtics: $3.55 billion (#41)

• Clippers: $3.3 billion (#46) - Gotta figure this value explodes after the new arena is open.

• Brooklyn Nets: $3.2 billion (#48)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2022/09/08/the-worlds-50-most-valuable-sports-teams-2022/?sh=2f50bdbc385c

once the bears get their own stadium they're going to shoot up that list.

1 hour ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

FYI if you buy 2K23 Championship Edition for $150 you get NBA Full Access League pass for 12 months. I payed $200 for that last year by itself!!! 

I did this as well. I think they send out the codes on Sept 27th...but league pass renews on the 29th. I'm guessing if you're not quick about putting the code in then your league pass will renew and charge you before you get the chance. Not exactly sure, but something to watch out for.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Betrayer said:

I did this as well. I think they send out the codes on Sept 27th...but league pass renews on the 29th. I'm guessing if you're not quick about putting the code in then your league pass will renew and charge you before you get the chance. Not exactly sure, but something to watch out for.

Good call, thanks!

On 9/13/2022 at 10:27 AM, Deleterious said:

Man.  22 years old and Sekou still doesn't have an NBA contract.  At this point you have to wonder if his career is over.

I remember when everyone was so high on him.

I remember when we drafted him many of us myself included were happy cause of the upside(some thought he could be Siakam but that was probably a lazy comp) but we also did say there was a high bust chance too, I don't think we thought he would bust this bad though. 

Is it a coincidence that out of all years they do this it just so happens to be the year Bronny James turns 18? The league is probably salivating at the thought of James and his son playing together in LA but not sure if Bronny is even a real NBA prospect at this point but I'm sure somehow he'll end up in the league whether he is the deserving of it or not. 

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Is it a coincidence that out of all years they do this it just so happens to be the year Bronny James turns 18? The league is probably salivating at the thought of James and his son playing together in LA but not sure if Bronny is even a real NBA prospect at this point but I'm sure somehow he'll end up in the league whether he is the deserving of it or not. 

I am starting to think the league just tosses it out there in an attempt to get something from the players to forget about it.

The meteoric crash of Emoni Bates is probably going to be a future 30 for 30 topic some day. From most hyped HS prospect since LeBron as a HS sophomore to essentially a non prospect as a College sophomore and that doesn't even bring into play all the off the court issues. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

5 hours ago, Deleterious said:

He is the NBA's Freddy Adu.  Before Adu was even in high school they were saying he was going to be the next Pelé.  

i remember watching a u20 tournament with freddy adu and some kid named messi.  life turned out a little different for them.

I guess I just don't see the importance of the topics they're addressing. I feel like there are more important issues, like stars actually playing games. The money for all of this comes from fans and tv deals because we want to see the stars play. Tie it to their wallet and they'll play.

Maybe something like making all max contracts 80% guaranteed with the other 20% directly tied to actual games played.

So, if you make 30M per year, then your contract is actually 24M per year guaranteed and the other 6M is incentive pay for playing the games - roughly 73K per game.

People are too quick to bring up the idea of reducing the schedule, but it won't solve it. They're trying to get a rest advantage over their competition. If the season is 56 games, they'll still rest because it's not about the number "82", it's about playing less games than your opponent. Find a way to tie it to their wallet and you'll fix the issue.

There should also be escalating player salary reduction penalties and some cap relief for players that sit out due to trade demands. The power has swung too far and it's time to rebalance. Not saying players shouldn't have some power, but with 100% guaranteed contracts, the teams (and therefore the fans) are at the complete mercy of the player to honor the contract they signed or not.

• Like 1

i would add deliberatley tanking towards the end of the season.

i dont know how to avoid it other than tying salary to games played - which i dont think will ever happen - or having a league doctor or official clear a player to play and if he doesnt, the team is hurt somehow.  be it through the loss of draft picks or salary cap space.  there has to be some sort of penalty for the blatant tank jobs ok city has been doing for the last five years.

i know the pistons did it too, but ok city has taken it to ridiculous levels.  no other sport has the kind of tanking you see in the nba.

like if the league doctor clears your player to play, if he fails to play within x amount of days you lose his salary on your cap next year.  if it happens with multiple players you lose a second round pick.  if it happens two years in a row you lose a first round pick.

i know this isnt going to happen, but i dont see many other ways to incentivize teams to compete when they have no hope of making the playoffs.

• Like 1