Coronavirus: Already In a Neighborhood Near You

chasfh

2 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The crowd that birthed the "shut up and dribble" euphemism seems much less interested in applying the rule in Rodgers' case. At least if my FB timeline is to be believed.

well i assume that's because most of those people agree with rodgers?  but people who disagree with him have been pretty loud about telling him to shut up.

as usual it all depends on whose ox is being gored.

3 minutes ago, buddha said:

well i assume that's because most of those people agree with rodgers?  but people who disagree with him have been pretty loud about telling him to shut up.

as usual it all depends on whose ox is being gored.

I don't think they've told him to "shut up". They are making fun of his positions and views.

Blacks athletes are expected to know their place as entertainers and jesters for white people and not "get all political, that's not why I watch".  When a white athlete or entertainer expresses solidarity with the red hats... well that's just "normal red blooded americans being patriotic.  Rah Rah Rah".  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, oblong said:

I don't think they've told him to "shut up". They are making fun of his positions and views.

Blacks athletes are expected to know their place as entertainers and jesters for white people and not "get all political, that's not why I watch".  When a white athlete or entertainer expresses solidarity with the red hats... well that's just "normal red blooded americans being patriotic.  Rah Rah Rah".  

Where do you come up with this racist nonsense?  Its 2022 not 1922.

9 minutes ago, oblong said:

except for all the people NOT saying that.  the vast vast vast majority of sports people on tv have been making fun of aaron rogers for weeks now.  saying he shouldnt be mvp, saying he should be suspended, saying he's stupid.  

lebron james faced some criticism for his views on police actions in america and some of that criticism was undoubtedly racial in nature and unfair to him.  although the china stuff i find to be very fair and that has nothing to do with the color of lebron's skin but rather the color of the green money god he worships.

aaron rodgers has faced arguably more criticism for his vaccine views than lebron has and the mainstream view is that rodgers is an idiot.  a view that is echoed by the establishment and is never argued against in the mainstream of american discussion.  lebron, otoh, was lauded by the majority of the mainstream press.

personally, i think rodgers is wrong and he is no martyr.  he put himself in this position.  but he has faced a ton of criticism and ridicule and vitriol.  deserved or not, he's been criticized as much as lebron.

23 minutes ago, buddha said:

I can't speak for others, but I don't partircularly care what Rodgers says or doesn't say. 

But just as he has his First Amendment right to convey whatever thoughts he pleases, I also have the First Amendment right to call him a fucking idiot.

Just now, mtutiger said:

I can't speak for others, but I don't partircularly care what Rodgers says or doesn't say. 

But just as he has his First Amendment right to convey whatever thoughts he pleases, I also have the First Amendment right to call him a fucking idiot.

just as people have the right to tell lebron to shut up and dribble.  right?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, buddha said:

just as people have the right to tell lebron to shut up and dribble.  right?

Uh, Yes?

EDIT: My only point is that a lot of the same people who screamed "shut up and dribble" at Kaepernick all of a sudden seem to think that a crime is being committed when someone criticizes or makes fun of Aaron Rodgers. 

We have 1A in this country. Rodgers or Lebron or whoever can say what they want, but it doesn't insulate them from other people using their 1A rights to call them idiots.

Edited by mtutiger

Kevin Durant and Lebron James criticized the president in 2018. Laura Ingraham told them to “shut up and dribble”.   In the summer of 2020 Drew Brees criticized supporters in the nfl for Kaepernick.  Laura Said he’s got a god given right to speak out. 

what could possibly be the difference between the two scenarios?  So forgive me for drawing racial inferences. She has a history.  To suggest nothing is there is to be deliberately obtuse just for the sake or it.   

it’s the very same mindset that led to McConnell to refer to African Americans vs Americans.  

5 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

It's two standards, you are right. 

They have the right. The government  will throw them in jail. But when these talk show hosts don’t tell white athletes to shut up and dribble I will call them racists because obviously they have the double standard between what a white athlete should do vs a black athlete. 

there is a difference between telling someone to “shut up and dribble” vs simply disagreeing with their views. 

10 minutes ago, oblong said:

Kevin Durant and Lebron James criticized the president in 2018. Laura Ingraham told them to “shut up and dribble”.   In the summer of 2020 Drew Brees criticized supporters in the nfl for Kaepernick.  Laura Said he’s got a god given right to speak out. 

what could possibly be the difference between the two scenarios?  

In terms of there being two standards, it's pretty clear that's the case for Laura Ingraham.

At the end of the day, all of this stuff boils down to the fact that people think 1A means that they (or whichever celebrity they find themselves aligned with) can say whatever they want without without any sort of consequences or blowback. And that's just not how any of this works....

In reality, it's never been how any of this has ever worked. The only difference now is that, simliar to what I said to Archie on the Mars controversy in another thread, is that the culture has changed. What maybe wouldn't have generated heat in 2003 now generates it in 2022. And, consequently, a lot of people aren't happy about that.

Edited by mtutiger

26 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Uh, Yes?

EDIT: My only point is that a lot of the same people who screamed "shut up and dribble" at Kaepernick all of a sudden seem to think that a crime is being committed when someone criticizes or makes fun of Aaron Rodgers. 

We have 1A in this country. Rodgers or Lebron or whoever can say what they want, but it doesn't insulate them from other people using their 1A rights to call them idiots.

we agree.

my point was that rodgers has faced plenty of criticism and ridicule, just as lebron james did and colin kapernick did.  people HAVE told rodgers the equivalent of "shut up and dribble".

people criticize others who voice opinions they dont agree with.  

2 minutes ago, oblong said:

They have the right. The government  will throw them in jail. But when these talk show hosts don’t tell white athletes to shut up and dribble I will call them racists because obviously they have the double standard between what a white athlete should do vs a black athlete. 

there is a difference between telling someone to “shut up and dribble” vs simply disagreeing with their views. 

what's the difference between "shut up and dribble" and saying "shut up and play"?

8 minutes ago, buddha said:

my point was that rodgers has faced plenty of criticism and ridicule, just as lebron james did and colin kapernick did.  people HAVE told rodgers the equivalent of "shut up and dribble".

All the more reason why I don't need to hear the people who directed "shut up and dribble" at James/Kaepernick defend Rodgers on that basis.

Conservatives, particularly the social media set, get off the hook way too easy for this kind of hypocrisy. I really don't need to hear from the same people who direct that at LeBron or Kaepernick, or going back even further, stunted Natalie Maines' career prospects on this.

Edited by mtutiger

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Conservatives, particularly the social media set, get off the hook way too easy for this kind of hypocrisy. I really don't need to hear from the same people who direct that at LeBron or Kaepernick, or going back even further, stunted Natalie Maines' career prospects on this.

You probably shouldn't use LeBron as an example when you're talking about hypocrisy.  

I pulled up his response when asked about the GM Morey/China story.   In his response, replace "Daryl Morey" with whoever you personally don't like the opinion of, and even if you aren't the one screaming at them to stay silent, someone on your side definitely is.

“I think when we all sit back and learn from the situation that happened, understand that what you could tweet or could say (could affect people),” James said. “We all talk about this freedom of speech. Yes, we all do have freedom of speech, but at times there are ramifications for the negative that can happen when you’re not thinking about others, and you’re only thinking about yourself.

“I don’t want to get into a word or sentence feud with Daryl Morey, but I believe he wasn’t educated on the situation at hand, and he spoke, and so many people could have been harmed, not only financially, but physically. Emotionally. Spiritually. So just be careful what we tweet and what we say, and what we do. Even though yes, we do have freedom of speech, but there can be a lot of negative that comes with that too.”