Coronavirus: Already In a Neighborhood Near You

chasfh

4 minutes ago, buddha said:

that political bias chart in that website has npr skewing further to the left than fox does to the right. 

I've reached my limit on searches without shelling out some bucks. There are about 10 or more listings for Fox. Local news stations, Fox News Channel, Fox News, etc.

Fox News is actually fairly close to center if I remember correctly, at least on the radio side. I've had a couple Chicago radio friends work for them in the past and they are reporters I trust.

Fox News Channel refers to cable. They are fairly low on the reporting section of the graph and farther to the right

7 minutes ago, buddha said:

that political bias chart in that website has npr skewing further to the left than fox does to the right. 

1 minute ago, oblong said:

why shouldn't it be?  What's wrong with that story?  I see those kinds of things all the time.  What makes something newsworthy?

Drawing attention to something that needs no spotlight. A boy is a boy and girl is a girl. Why sue? Thats what gets me, we the public have to pander to everyones whim. If Jimmy wants to identify as Julie fine.   

I have the free subscription version where you can put limited amount of individual outlets on charts.

One thing I've started to do is mute people on twitter who show up in my timeline whose outlets are out of the green zone... which eventually led me to mute all of Lynn Henning's retweets.

image.thumb.png.4aa7e7cd9fa867040035ef4b69b27566.png

8 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I see the second one now (maybe the opinion arm of the network?).  Fox news is still way further right on the chart.  

i dont listen to either anymore so i really cant say.  

i only watch fox on election night when cnn is at commercial.  i got tired of stories about poor guatemalan lesbian sheep herders and their fight against american sexist imperialism, so i stopped listening to npr.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

I have the free subscription version where you can put limited amount of individual outlets on charts.

One thing I've started to do is mute people on twitter who show up in my timeline whose outlets are out of the green zone... which eventually led me to mute all of Lynn Henning's retweets.

image.thumb.png.4aa7e7cd9fa867040035ef4b69b27566.png

that chart seems more like the consensus on where fox news would be located.

12 minutes ago, buddha said:

i only watch fox on election night when cnn is at commercial.  i got tired of stories about poor guatemalan lesbian sheep herders and their fight against american sexist imperialism, so i stopped listening to npr.

NPR had me at Guatemalan lesbians but lost me at sheep herders. 

46 minutes ago, buddha said:

LOL, I sometimes stop at NPR when I am driving up for my hikes in rural NH.  It's either that or country music or right wing conspiracy theory radio or some evangelist ranting about how I'm going to hell for being a liberal.  NPR's news is very balanced and includes some conservative voices (not the MAGA BS, but old school conservative).  Their esoteric documentaries are pompously liberal. If I'm lucky, I can find a local station that plays rock music from the 80s.   

• Like 1

I remember this used to come up on the board all the time way back in the day.    Bush years I'd say.   Back then the GOP commissioned a study that was intended to demonstrate NPR was biased but it came back finding no such thing.   It was posted in this forum for this fight every time it happened. 

10 hours ago, buddha said:

https://ycharts.com/indicators/india_coronavirus_full_vaccination_rate

47% fully vaxxed.

less partially vaxxed, fully vaxxed, and boosted than the us.

i know you have this dim view of america (familiarity breeds contempt...), but the us is better organized than most countries in the world, and that includes india.

Screenshot_20220119-093056_Chrome.jpg

there are 10 counties in MI at under 50%. And I wouldn't say 'organized' is even the important question. If India has vaccinated 50% of 1.5 billion people they have still accomplished a heck of a lot more in absolute terms than we have. 

And I would put it that I don't have as much as dim view of American as a simply frank one, the dim view view is more a matter of impatience with those who can only see her through myth and rose colored glasses.

Edited by gehringer_2

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

there are 10 counties in MI at under 50%. And I wouldn't say 'organized' is even the important question. If India has vaccinated 50% of 1.5 billion people they have still accomplished a heck of a lot more than we have.

And to be more precise, I don't have as much as dim view of American as a simply frank one, the dim view is directed more at those who can only see her through myth and rose colored glasses.

hmmm...i dont know what you actually think, but what you post on here is usually a pretty dim view of america.  the reality is that america is a pretty nice place when compared to most of the rest of the world.  that's not said in a "were the greatest country on earth" mumbo jumbo, but just a statement on how rich we are and how much space we have.  we take america for granted because we live here.  most of us wouldnt last five months in india without feeling homesick and pining away for an suv or a football game.

and like i said before, india has nit vaccinated 90% of its population.  47% is probably a doctored estimate too.

I aspire to be better than India, yes, but I compare America to it's peers. If I had a choice, I would probably live in Canada. Montreal to be exact. I feel like America is moving backwards and not the leader it once was. I probably wouldn't last five days in India but I'm not aspiring to move to India and it's probably why many more Indians migrate to the US than say Norwegians. 

20 hours ago, buddha said:

hmmm...i dont know what you actually think, but what you post on here is usually a pretty dim view of america.  the reality is that america is a pretty nice place when compared to most of the rest of the world.  that's not said in a "were the greatest country on earth" mumbo jumbo, but just a statement on how rich we are and how much space we have.  we take america for granted because we live here.  most of us wouldnt last five months in india without feeling homesick and pining away for an suv or a football game.

and like i said before, india has nit vaccinated 90% of its population.  47% is probably a doctored estimate too.

True, not many white, middle class or better Americans could.  I mean not the African American ones.  Too many in this country don't have a place to live or food to eat or medical care.  Doesn't seem like the USA is all that "rich".  

I thought this summed up the false perception versus reality very well:

“I asked Wharton students what they thought the average American worker makes per year and 25% of them thought it was over six figures,” Nina Strohminger tweeted late Wednesday. “One of them thought it was $800k.”

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Kacie said:

True, not many white, middle class or better Americans could.  I mean not the African American ones.  Too many in this country don't have a place to live or food to eat or medical care.  Doesn't seem like the USA is all that "rich".  

this is the crux. American is great place to live if you are upper middle class or above. But we are a society completely segregated both by race and class. You can easily just stay in your social cocoon and you never need to worry how the other half lives. For most everyone else it's been getting worse since the 80's. I can't help but find that....disappointing.

As a nation we have also become terribly cavalier about killing people around the world, but that's a whole 'nother digression.

Edited by gehringer_2