Coronavirus: Already In a Neighborhood Near You

chasfh

3 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Why April 19? Does extending to earlier in April ruin the narrative?

That's got arbitrary endpoint written all over it.

The chart to me seems to be suggesting to me anyways that was the date where they made vaccines available to all adults as opposed to some prioritization of folks in greater need?   I got mine in late March and did some shady going to Ohio when I live in Michigan stuff to get it so maybe that works out?       

But it takes up to 6 weeks from first dose to get full immunity, maybe an extra week or two for a reasonable person to find an appointment. Once infected, a week or two to be hospitalized, and a month or two from there to start dying.

You would start to see partisan divide from unvaccinated people in July or so, and that doesn't even factor in the seasonality effect that any end point will not factor in.

Long story short, I know that there is a partisan divide among covid deaths since the vaccine has been available. A chart from a partisan source isn't a convincing way to show that.

46 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

But it takes up to 6 weeks from first dose to get full immunity, maybe an extra week or two for a reasonable person to find an appointment. Once infected, a week or two to be hospitalized, and a month or two from there to start dying.

You would start to see partisan divide from unvaccinated people in July or so, and that doesn't even factor in the seasonality effect that any end point will not factor in.

Long story short, I know that there is a partisan divide among covid deaths since the vaccine has been available. A chart from a partisan source isn't a convincing way to show that.

I don't think I'm totally following your concern with this specific one though b/c I think your concern doesn't change the overall number of deaths but merely whether it's in the grey box or black box?  

Personally I feel the policy date change is more apt than a nebulous date of [policy change date + 1 week for reasonable person + one or two months from there].   That strikes me as more arbitrary than the actual definitive policy change date.

Edited by pfife

45 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Ideally, you'd want to know what was happening at all points in time: Before the policy change, during the response lag and after the response lag.  Maybe some kind of interrupted time series.  

yeah that would make sense.   I guess from the standpoint we use at my job which isn't academic rigor - it's rigorous enough to use as a valuable piece of information in a larger business decision.   From that standpoint, I would totally do the date of policy change as the cutoff b/c it's NOT arbitrary - it's when the policy changed.  When I start adding days to that, I then DO have to demonstrate why I selected 7 days for appointment setting instead of 8,9,10,15, etc.   Then I also have to demonstrate why I added 1 or 2 months to that for immunity to kick in and why did I select 1 month and not 2 months or should it have been 1.653 months?   Should it be the same for every single person?  Do I need to research whether a state was slow with their appointment setting systems and change the values for just that state?   Why does one state get a special value but others don't?   Etc etc.

Edited by pfife
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, buddha said:

90% of india is vaxxed.  lol.  yeah right.

Hard to accept that India may be better  organized and socially coherent that the US isn't it? It's probably not your father's India anymore, and it certainly isn't our fathers' US!  The bigger weakness in the Indian achievement is likely not the numbers claim but that they have used a lot of what is probably not very effective vaccine stock - having relied initially on Russian and other less well performing products. It looks like one big stick they used was that they made vaccination mandatory to get on a train.

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Hard to accept that India may be better  organized and socially coherent that the US isn't it? It's probably not your father's India anymore, and it certainly isn't our fathers' US!  The bigger weakness in the Indian achievement is likely not the numbers claim but that they have used a lot of what is probably not very effective vaccine stock - having relied initially on Russian and other less well performing products. It looks like one big stick they used was that they made vaccination mandatory to get on a train.

g2, india is not 90% vaxxed.  india is an unorganized mess of 1.5 billion people, getting 1.2 billion people vaxxed in a country as bass akward as india is impossible.

come on.

21 minutes ago, buddha said:

g2, india is not 90% vaxxed.  india is an unorganized mess of 1.5 billion people, getting 1.2 billion people vaxxed in a country as bass akward as india is impossible.

come on.

I have no independent data but I don't see any great push back about India's claims. Why can't people who are poor be socially organized? India has a huge pharma industry and a well developed public health infrastructure. Certainly fair to question a Modi government but I wouldn't be at all surprised if India has achieved a higher vax rate than the US.

Edited by gehringer_2

22 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I have no independent data but I don't see any great push back about India's claims. Why can't people who are poor be socially organized? India has a huge pharma industry and a well developed public health infrastructure. Certainly fair to question a Modi government but I wouldn't be at all surprised if India has achieved a higher vax rate than the US.

https://ycharts.com/indicators/india_coronavirus_full_vaccination_rate

47% fully vaxxed.

less partially vaxxed, fully vaxxed, and boosted than the us.

i know you have this dim view of america (familiarity breeds contempt...), but the us is better organized than most countries in the world, and that includes india.

Screenshot_20220119-093056_Chrome.jpg

13 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I don't think anyone is disputing the US is plenty organized on the vaccine. In fact, the US is probably the most organized. The issue is the unwillingness to get vaccinated despite it being easily available and free. I don't doubt that India has a much lower unwillingness to get the vaccine.  

that article states india has many of the same issues as america (and other countries) in distrust of their government and unwillingness to get the vaccine.