Coronavirus: Already In a Neighborhood Near You

chasfh

Pretty much everyone in my family got sick the last two weeks.  Some tested positive and some didn't, but we all had the same symtoms - like a typical winter cold.  Thankfully, the only ones who haven't gotten sick are my parents as even a cold would take a lot out of them.  

• Like 2

I am flabbergasted. I tested positive for COVID today even though I wear a mask everywhere I go  — which is almost nowhere — and in spite of 2 shots and a booster. I’ve also given it to my 19-year-old son.  Yesterday I had bad chills, turned up the heat, wrapped myself in a blanket, took Advil, and slept and felt fine this morning, although toward the end of today I’ve started getting chills again. I have to quarantine for 5 days. I’m glad I’ve been vaccinated, or I could be in the hospital right now. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

I am flabbergasted. I tested positive for COVID today even though I wear a mask everywhere I go  — which is almost nowhere — and in spite of 2 shots and a booster. I’ve also given it to my 19-year-old son.  Yesterday I had bad chills, turned up the heat, wrapped myself in a blanket, took Advil, and slept and felt fine this morning, although toward the end of today I’ve started getting chills again. I have to quarantine for 5 days. I’m glad I’ve been vaccinated, or I could be in the hospital right now. 

I'm glad you're not having a worse time of it. take care.

Edited by Crazy Cat Gentleman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Well California is in the bottom 3rd of deaths and the link provided by ewsieg doesn't have Michigan 5th so I'm not sure where that is coming from. 

If those audit numbers are correct, roughly add 24/100,000 to the numbers currently on the link (currently 301/100,000).

1 hour ago, IdahoBert said:

Get Well Bert!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Nothing in there says he's distorting the death numbers, which are the most important numbers.

The NYT link provided shows the reported numbers, which shows Michigan worse than Florida in deaths per 100k.  What I posted earlier will add roughy 24 deaths per 100k to Michigan, widening that lead even further.

The Columbia link says that DeSantis has publicly stated that he doesn't believe the death numbers that are being reported are accurate and that they are too high.  They later accuse the state of underreporting the infection rate.  Nothing to indicate he's distorting death numbers.

Noticed this on Twitter.  Even Rogan says the clip is cringy.  He goes on to post an article which indicates some studies which showed that specific to boys, myocarditis did appear to be increased, and it shows the UK still isn't allowing vaccines under 12.  

Now, i'm sure most on this forum believes that if the 'science' showed that the vaccine is worse for teenage boys, it wouldn't be approved.  But many here talk about the greater good.  If specific to pre-teen / teenage boys this does increase the chance of myocarditis, and already knowing the risk from Covid is nearly null, would you give the vaccine to your son?   As a whole though, if you thought increasing the risk in teenage boys would result in less Covid for all, would you do it?

18 hours ago, ewsieg said:

This is true.  He turned down the option of buying these after already purchasing an option to buy quite a bit already, all before it was even approved for use.

Link on how much he had already purchased?  Article I posted said 100m Moderna had been purchased before he turned down this Pfizer 100m does so at this point in time he had only secured enough to fully vaccinate 50m ppl.   

Have fun arguing this new eswieg hypothetical.   I will continue to crush your hypotheticals with actual facs that really happened no matter how much you want us to think Trump woulda been awesome in your fake worlds.

Edited by pfife

7 hours ago, ewsieg said:
He goes on to post an article which indicates some studies which showed that specific to boys, myocarditis did appear to be increased, and it shows the UK still isn't allowing vaccines under 12.  

Just to back up a second, would this be indicative of his defense for having said that young healthy adults shouldn't get vaccinated?

https://healthcare.utah.edu/healthfeed/postings/2022/01/myocarditis-covid19.php

For what it's worth, here's a good, easy to understand read from the University of Utah on myocarditis and its connection to COVID / COVID vaccines.

The upshot is that you are more likely to develop myocarditis from getting COVID than you are from the vaccine.

Seems like a pretty compelling factor to consider

4 hours ago, pfife said:

Link on how much he had already purchased?  Article I posted said 100m Moderna had been purchased before he turned down this Pfizer 100m does so at this point in time he had only secured enough to fully vaccinate 50m ppl.   

Have fun arguing this new eswieg hypothetical.   I will continue to crush your hypotheticals with actual facs that really happened no matter how much you want us to think Trump woulda been awesome in your fake worlds.

You do realize the hypothetical I provided says that the GOP wouldn't doubt their cult leader and blindly follow him whereas Democrats are not as whacked and would come around to science and get the vaccine.  But if you want to knock down my hypothetical with facts, you only need to link the DNC party platform policies if you really want to own me.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/07/us/politics/trump-pfizer-coronavirus-vaccine.html

Before Pfizer’s coronavirus vaccine was proved highly successful in clinical trials last month, the company offered the Trump administration the chance to lock in supplies beyond the 100 million doses the pharmaceutical maker agreed to sell the government as part of a $1.95 billion deal over the summer.

4 hours ago, pfife said:

I also noticed you ignored that whole thing about the GOP paying people to not get vaxxed as a policy.  Probably too inconvenient for the latest hypothetical 

I'm not sure what you're referring to here.  If that's being done, it's incredibly stupid and wasteful.  

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

https://healthcare.utah.edu/healthfeed/postings/2022/01/myocarditis-covid19.php

For what it's worth, here's a good, easy to understand read from the University of Utah on myocarditis and its connection to COVID / COVID vaccines.

The upshot is that you are more likely to develop myocarditis from getting COVID than you are from the vaccine.

Seems like a pretty compelling factor to consider

Note, I wasn't trying to defend Rogan or say the sources he was citing were accurate.  I heard about the study cited in the story Rogan tweeted after my son already had the vaccine, so I remember looking at it a bit.  Note this article doesn't even indicate that you shouldn't stop vaccinating, but that maybe if proven true, different doses/dose schedule should be looked into.  Now the one you linked is months later, so i'm happy to hear this with what i'd expect to be updated data.  

4 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

You do realize the hypothetical I provided says that the GOP wouldn't doubt their cult leader and blindly follow him whereas Democrats are not as whacked and would come around to science and get the vaccine.  But if you want to knock down my hypothetical with facts, you only need to link the DNC party platform policies if you really want to own me.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/07/us/politics/trump-pfizer-coronavirus-vaccine.html

I'm not sure what you're referring to here.  If that's being done, it's incredibly stupid and wasteful.  

I don't pay attention to your hypotheticals.  You say something like "people would be more vaccinated if trump was president" and I start throwing real life facts at it in order to demonstrate out honest ridiculous it is.   The details of your hypothetical are irrelevant to me.  I don't even read them.

You didn't post how many doses he had before he turned down the 100m.   The article I posted said they had secured 100m Moderna before that.   So he had enough for 50m to get vaccinated.   Unless you want to find something more, like an actual number, that's pretty much the top limit you got if you wanna use actual facts and what happened to inform your fake world takes about how many trump woulda vaccinated.   After that it becomes just you fictionalizing which is super boring

12 minutes ago, pfife said:

I don't pay attention to your hypotheticals.  You say something like "people would be more vaccinated if trump was president" and I start throwing real life facts at it in order to demonstrate out honest ridiculous it is.   The details of your hypothetical are irrelevant to me.  I don't even read them.

You didn't post how many doses he had before he turned down the 100m.   The article I posted said they had secured 100m Moderna before that.   So he had enough for 50m to get vaccinated.   Unless you want to find something more, like an actual number, that's pretty much the top limit you got if you wanna use actual facts and what happened to inform your fake world takes about how many trump woulda vaccinated.   After that it becomes just you fictionalizing which is super boring

https://khn.org/news/article/fact-check-president-joe-biden-criticism-of-trump-administration-vaccine-contracts-and-supply-not-accurate/

“That was the whole approach of Operation Warp Speed,” said Dr. Amesh Adalja, a senior scholar at the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security. “Not knowing which one would cross the finish line, the Trump administration took a portfolio approach and invested in multiple vaccines.”

Here’s what the Trump team’s contracts called for drugmakers to supply to the U.S. government:

In all, the amounts agreed to under these contracts total about 800 million vaccine doses, or enough for more than 400 million people.

Until recently, the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines were the only two that had reached that point, gaining authorization on Dec. 11 and 18 respectively.

The Trump administration announced Dec. 23 that it would buy an additional 200 million doses in total of both companies’ vaccines.

So by the end of 2020, the Trump admin had purchased 400 million doses (200 million people) that had been approved for use and still had under contract enough for up to 350-400 million people (not doses) if all others were approved.

Per usual... you didn't read your article far enough.  It says this:

An important point to remember, though, is that these contract numbers don’t necessarily represent deliverable vaccines. The contracts represent early promises. There were still important hurdles to be cleared before these possible vaccine candidates could be a reality

3 hours ago, pfife said:

Lol at counting ones not approved.  Just more not reality 

lol at complaining that the Trump admin didn’t buy additional doses when they weren’t even approved yet, and then arguing that Trump shouldn’t get credit for purchasing doses that weren’t approved yet.

3 hours ago, pfife said:

Per usual... you didn't read your article far enough.  It says this:

An important point to remember, though, is that these contract numbers don’t necessarily represent deliverable vaccines. The contracts represent early promises. There were still important hurdles to be cleared before these possible vaccine candidates could be a reality

They weren’t necessarily deliverable because again, these were purchased before they were already approved in the hopes they would be approved.  As the article states, once some were approved, the Trump admin immediately began purchasing even more of the already approved ones.

If you want to argue that my hypothetical is wrong, fine. You don’t even need quantitative evidence, you could simply say Trump always found a way to scare things up and honestly, I wouldn’t be able to do anything but give a nod to that argument. But if you’re going to use quantitative data, uses it correctly.

Edited by ewsieg