Coronavirus: Already In a Neighborhood Near You

chasfh

14 minutes ago, Archie said:

I think prior infection should be considered because it can give the person immunity for a few months.  That's about the same, and maybe better in some people than the current vaccine and booster.

My understanding with most viruses is that you have immunity much longer than that, for that specific strand.  The initial argument I heard was that these vaccines have been proven to provide some sort of protection from more than just the initial strand they were designed for.  Whereas they weren't sure how well a person that had Covid, how that will fight other strands.  Instead of ever hearing anything further, just seems like the medical community has just considered it a finalized issue though.

3 hours ago, ewsieg said:

Yup, pretty incredible how folks can manage to bend their minds to make things 'work' their way.

Rules are rules, he got an exemption, but it doesn't hold up to their federal courts.  I thought I heard he now as a 3 year ban now though.  That seems excessive, I didn't read about it enough to know if he tried something unethical or whatever to get that exemption.

I mean, maybe it's excessive, but it's sort of remarkable to me that a bunch of American commentators have made bitching about how a sovereign country handles its own borders it's lastest outrage of the week. 

We can all have opinions, I guess, but setting aside the inconsistencies many have, at the end of the day, it's really none of our business. It's between the Australian govt and Novak Djokovic.

4 hours ago, ewsieg said:

My understanding with most viruses is that you have immunity much longer than that, for that specific strand.  The initial argument I heard was that these vaccines have been proven to provide some sort of protection from more than just the initial strand they were designed for.  Whereas they weren't sure how well a person that had Covid, how that will fight other strands.  Instead of ever hearing anything further, just seems like the medical community has just considered it a finalized issue though.

the problem with prior 'infection' is that the term doesn't bring any quantitative value with it. The clinicians have more confidence about vaccination because they know exactly what  the patient got and what the statistics for the response to it are. If someone had bothered to do the same for positive cases we might might now a lot more about what kind of clinical presentation is associated with what kind of subsequent immune response, but that information seems to be lacking. Right now I'm not sure anyone can say much for certain about what having had a a positive test means in terms of your immunity. There are are lots of assumptions that can be made, probably a lot of them may be pretty pretty good ones, but is there much data? I think that is why there is hesitancy in accepting 'positive test' as signifying as much as a vaccination.

25 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

the problem with prior 'infection' is that the term doesn't bring any quantitative value with it. The clinicians have more confidence about vaccination because they know exactly what  the patient got and what the statistics for the response to it are. If someone had bothered to do the same for positive cases we might might now a lot more about what kind of clinical presentation is associated with what kind of subsequent immune response, but that information seems to be lacking. Right now I'm not sure anyone can say much for certain about what having had a a positive test means in terms of your immunity. There are are lots of assumptions that can be made, probably a lot of them may be pretty pretty good ones, but is there much data? I think that is why there is hesitancy in accepting 'positive test' as signifying as much as a vaccination.

Additional variables makes sense, still it's been awhile though.  I'd think we would have some data to give us a better understanding by now.  How long has Omicron been around?  Seems like it was weeks from it first being reported to having information on how the vax wouldn't have the same efficacy against it and the push for boosters in the hopes that would add efficacy.

That seems like a lot of wasted efforts just so people can find another excuse to not have to get a shot.  Get the vaccine. Don’t look for a shady loophole or waste valuable resources finding one.   It’s like spending $2000 in attorney feeds trying to find a way to prevent paying $500 in taxes. 

2 hours ago, oblong said:

That seems like a lot of wasted efforts just so people can find another excuse to not have to get a shot.  Get the vaccine. Don’t look for a shady loophole or waste valuable resources finding one.   It’s like spending $2000 in attorney feeds trying to find a way to prevent paying $500 in taxes. 

Seems like knowing as much about this virus as possible doesn't seem like a wasted effort.  Add in the fact that just because the smart move is for everyone to get vaccinated, it's simply not going to happen.  

5 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Seems like knowing as much about this virus as possible doesn't seem like a wasted effort.  Add in the fact that just because the smart move is for everyone to get vaccinated, it's simply not going to happen.  

I'll add as well, from watching what my wife went through, and still dealing with the remnants of, if booster #4  is recommended sometime this year, and my wife gets covid prior to it.  I'd prefer her doctors have more to go on in terms of when she should wait until for the booster.  Just a quick look online and i'm seeing, wait at least 9 days, 30-60 days, and some doctors saying 90 days.

4 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

I'll add as well, from watching what my wife went through, and still dealing with the remnants of, if booster #4  is recommended sometime this year, and my wife gets covid prior to it.  I'd prefer her doctors have more to go on in terms of when she should wait until for the booster.  Just a quick look online and i'm seeing, wait at least 9 days, 30-60 days, and some doctors saying 90 days.

I’m talking about setting policy and allowing exemptions based on prior infection in place of a vaccine, like what you appeared to suggest with the tennis player.  Your wife is vaccinated.  If he didn’t get vaccinated prior to infection then that’s the risk he took by waiting. Sucks for him.  And its going to cost him the Fench Open too. If vaccine requirements mean unvaccinated miss out on things then so be it. I don’t care about them in that regard.  They made their choice and can stay home and not participate in a society that requires us to pitch in for our fellow citizens well being. 

I saw references today that a study on 4th booster in Israel didn’t show much of an increase if at all in terms of protecting. 

1 minute ago, oblong said:

I’m talking about setting policy and allowing exemptions based on prior infection in place of a vaccine, like what you appeared to suggest with the tennis player.  Your wife is vaccinated.  If he didn’t get vaccinated prior to infection then that’s the risk he took by waiting. Sucks for him.  And its going to cost him the Fench Open too. If vaccine requirements mean unvaccinated miss out on things then so be it. I don’t care about them in that regard.  They made their choice and can stay home and not participate in a society that requires us to pitch in for our fellow citizens well being. 

I saw references today that a study on 4th booster in Israel didn’t show much of an increase if at all in terms of protecting. 

I guess my point is if there is more known, maybe it helps with situations like my wife and can be used for folks that aren't vaxxed.  For instance a type of test that can show a certain acceptable level to be able to put a person no more at risk than any other vaxxed person from getting/passing the virus.

I feel like the biggest reason why we haven't seen much about that is exactly what you're saying.  By researching/finding that, now you have folks using it as an excuse when it would just be easier for them to get vaxxed and with that comes a process already in place that helps validate it.

9 hours ago, ewsieg said:

The irony about many people who want to “know as much about this virus as possible” is that the “knowledge” they’re are obtaining from their various sketchy sources is not making them more knowledgeable about the virus at all.

I have family in Texas that got it in the summer of 2020 and were using that in place of a vaccine.   It was aggravating. They would pay to have their blood checked for antibodies.  that seems like more of a hassle than getting a shot.

The GOP leader in MI wanted prior infection to count for the "vaccinated" numbers when MI was deciding when to open things up and to what level.  The trouble with that is tests are not always tied to an individual.  Depends on the lab.  Home tests don't get reported.  You don't know who tested positive and didn't eventually get vaccinated vs who tested positive and never got vaccinated.  There's overlap.  The # of positive tests is just a number.

2 minutes ago, oblong said:

I have family in Texas that got it in the summer of 2020 and were using that in place of a vaccine.   It was aggravating. They would pay to have their blood checked for antibodies.  that seems like more of a hassle than getting a shot.

The GOP leader in MI wanted prior infection to count for the "vaccinated" numbers when MI was deciding when to open things up and to what level.  The trouble with that is tests are not always tied to an individual.  Depends on the lab.  Home tests don't get reported.  You don't know who tested positive and didn't eventually get vaccinated vs who tested positive and never got vaccinated.  There's overlap.  The # of positive tests is just a number.

My sister’s husband refuses to get vaccinated and regularly gets his antibodies checked. Anything to stick it to the libs I guess. 

1 minute ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

My sister’s husband refuses to get vaccinated and regularly gets his antibodies checked. Anything to stick it to the libs I guess. 

My wife has patients in the ICU who did that.... "I didn't think I could get it twice....  They said...."

These are people who were in the ICU for COVID and are back in the ICU for covid because they didn't get a free shot.

I'm just going off what my dr. told me last week.  He said everyone is different but I should have immunity for 4 to 6 months but since I has antibody treatment it could be longer.  Its hard to tell how long it would last but its also the same for vaccine.  I think Phizer and Moderna both are redoing boosters at 5 months.

1 hour ago, oblong said:

Eve n just  from a business/professional  standpoint, I can’t imagine if I were in a company that had 10 employees and we were asked to wear a mask because one or two of the employees were at higher risk, I just can’t imagine refusing to do so. How really disrespectful and self-absorbed do you have to be to say “no. I won’t “.  It’s  beyond rude and unprofessional, it’s really a spit in the face. Utterly shameful.