Coronavirus: Already In a Neighborhood Near You

chasfh

28 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

My local school district which inlcudes about 30K students has had no mask mandate all school year. They have decided starting Monday they will not contact trace students anymore. Last year my daughter was Quarantined (Mask Mandate was in place 20-21 school year) 4 seperate times and missed about 6 weeks of in school time. They also are not requiring a negative test to return to school. If you have a fever you are suppose to stay home and can return after 24 hours of being fever free.

I think this is probably the right way to handle things going foward. COVID in some form or another is here to stay.

they need to get rid of mask requirements in school altogether.  if they want to keep them going for this year to make the unions happy, so be it.  but they should be gone next year.  

no forced quarantines or testing either.  if youre sick stay home.  if youre not sick, then go to school.

lets just hope it keeps mutating down to the point where its nothing to most people (even moreso than now).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ewsieg said:

She unfortunately has other health concerns, so it's even more important for her to be vaxxed.  Going forward though, she won't be getting vaccinated for multiple things on the same day.  We'll just space them out and her doctors believe that will be fine.

I was kinda worried about the vaccine. The last vaccine I had was Shinglix (or some name, for shingles). It was a 2 shot vaccine. The 2nd shot knocked me on my butt for 3 days. Yes, I hear that getting shingles is worse but that vaccine was horrid.

53 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Probably but I think people are over it now. Get Vaxxed don't get vaxxed at this point it seems pointless to wear a mask unless you want to. 

I should ad that cloth masks are useless against Omicron. So says the "experts". A tight fitting N-95 mask is what they recommend. But using one for weeks and weeks? I don't agree, they are supposed to be disposable. 

1 minute ago, Sports_Freak said:

I should ad that cloth masks are useless against Omicron. So says the "experts". A tight fitting N-95 mask is what they recommend. But using one for weeks and weeks? I don't agree, they are supposed to be disposable. 

Agree 100% yet who actually has access to N-95's? Cloth masks are usless yet we treat them like a rally call.

1 minute ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

True, yet here we are. Government can't mandate vax so if you want to wear a mask at this point its your choice.

In some places, you're correct. My son lives in Chicago and told me that some establishments require a vaccine record and masks to be worn for entrance. He said these places were very crowded, people are very eager to go out and have fun again. But they also wanna be safe. So yeah, if you wanna stay home, you can. 😁

1 minute ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Agree 100% yet who actually has access to N-95's? Cloth masks are usless yet we treat them like a rally call.

Should point out its the Omicron variant that cloth masks are useless against. It's so contagious, it can get thru the edges of a non-tight fitting mask. But cloth masks are still useful against the Alpha and Deltra variants.

I wear a mask as additional protection for myself, for sure, but I’m also wearing it in case I am currently a carrier but don’t know that I am, and have dealings with people who are more at risk either because of their age or medical condition. I can’t be the only person thinking like this, can I?

• Thanks 3

21 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

In some places, you're correct. My son lives in Chicago and told me that some establishments require a vaccine record and masks to be worn for entrance. He said these places were very crowded, people are very eager to go out and have fun again. But they also wanna be safe. So yeah, if you wanna stay home, you can. 😁

I was in Chicago last weekend and you needed a mask everywhere and had to show a vaccine card to go anywhere that had dine in seating and you were staying to eat.  

15 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

I wear a mask as additional protection for myself, for sure, but I’m also wearing it in case I am currently a carrier but don’t know that I am, and have dealings with people who are more at risk either because of their age or medical condition. I can’t be the only person thinking like this, can I?

No you are not.  Seriously. Wearing a mask is the easiest thing to do.  They are not useless. Some are more effective than others but still not useless. That’s like saying seat belts are useless because someone still died wearing one. 

52 minutes ago, oblong said:

No you are not.  Seriously. Wearing a mask is the easiest thing to do.  They are not useless. Some are more effective than others but still not useless. That’s like saying seat belts are useless because someone still died wearing one. 

yeah - the misinformation and misunderstanding on the mask issue is deep. Cloth masks have *never* stopped virus from passing through them, their major property is to break up your exhalation patterns to reduce the range to which you spread virus around yourself so that other people who are trying to stay a reasonable distance from you have their risk reduced. They protect other people from you - so when worn by all produce and aggregate risk reduction to a population, but still not directly to individuals. OTOH - even with N95s -  which can reduce your risk of inhaling someone else's shed virus and can protect you directly, few people who have them wear them properly (i.e. tight!) enough for them to actually do what they are theoretically able to do better than cloth. The fluid mechanics of air flow, particle distribution and filtration are really all outside the expertise of most of the medical establishment - even they have trouble figuring it all out, and good data is very hard to come by because good experimental work is really hard to do or reproduce - you are immediately faced with too many variables to track. The epidemiologists are mostly reduced to waiting for retrospective public studies on mask use, which are also fraught with difficulties. There is a reason that in industrial health science, for all hazardous atmospheres, only true respirators have ever been considered acceptable protection

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, oblong said:

I just follow the science. Cloth masks will protect you and stop the spread of the Alpha and Deltra variants. Omnicron, not so much. It's SO contagious, it can enter thru the mask and around any part of the mask that isn't sealed. It's why they call for people to wear N95 masks. Cloth masks are better than no mask but if you really want protection, wear a tight fitting N95. Here's just one link of 100's;

https://people.com/health/why-health-experts-recommend-retiring-cloth-masks-in-the-fight-against-omicron/

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

yeah - the misinformation and misunderstanding on the mask issue is deep. Cloth masks have *never* stopped virus from passing through them, their major property is break up your exhalation patterns to reduce the range to which you spread virus around yourself so that other people who are trying to stay a reasonable distance from you have their risk reduced. OTOH - even with N95s -  which can reduce your risk of inhaling someone else's shed virus, few people who have them wear them properly (i.e. tight!) enough for them to actually do what they are theoretically able to do better than cloth. The fluid mechanics of air flow, particle distribution and filtration are really all outside the expertise of most of the medical establishment - even they have trouble figuring it all out, and good data is very hard to come by because good experimental work is really hard to do or reproduce - you are immediately faced with too many variables to track. The epidemiologists are mostly reduced to waiting for retrospective public studies on mask use, which are also fraught with difficulties.

Well said. People are wearing cloth masks as a fashion accessory. Mask has to match your belt which has to match your shoes....

58 minutes ago, oblong said:

I was in Chicago last weekend and you needed a mask everywhere and had to show a vaccine card to go anywhere that had dine in seating and you were staying to eat.  

Last month, my son came home to visit (from Chicago). He couldn't believe all the people walking around the Detroit area with no mask. And he's a healthy 34 year old personal trainer. I was pretty proud that somehow I raised a kid with common sense....😅

59 minutes ago, oblong said:

I was in Chicago and had to show a vax card as well. Funny story I went to my buddies house in Wrigleyville and went on the L. At two transfers there were dudes selling fake vax cards for $20. I asked to see one and they looked Identical to mine. They must be  real blanks. They would even give you a paper on how you should fill it out and what color pen to use. 

10 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Last month, my son came home to visit (from Chicago). He couldn't believe all the people walking around the Detroit area with no mask. And he's a healthy 34 year old personal trainer. I was pretty proud that somehow I raised a kid with common sense....😅

well i actually live in chicago and there are plenty of people walking around here without masks outside.  inside you have to wear one so everyone is wearing one.

as to vax mandates, you have to show your vax card to get into restaurants and bars and gyms, but they dont always check.  we've been to places as a family and just sat down.  but most places do, so im told.

11 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I don’t get it. As the Buddha stated Cali #s with strict mask mandates still average higher than a wide open state like Indiana including schools. Shouldn’t the science see Indiana a Covid inferno? I go to high school basketball games every week and no one wears masks. These games happen at hundreds of schools since November. You would think with this crazy lifestyle we would be off the charts with infection rate.

19 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I don’t get it. As the Buddha stated Cali #s with strict mask mandates still average higher than a wide open state like Indiana including schools. Shouldn’t the science see Indiana a Covid inferno? I go to high school basketball games every week and no one wears masks. These games happen at hundreds of schools since November. You would think with this crazy lifestyle we would be off the charts with infection rate.

Well Virginia is averaging much fewer cases than Indiana so not sure why you are citing California's numbers. 

3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Well Virginia is averaging much fewer cases than Indiana so not sure why you are citing California's numbers. 

cause california has higher numbers than indiana.  so does washington which has some of the strictest covid regs around.

the mere presence of stricter regulations does not diminish the spread of covid.  i think that more states that have them tend to be better off than those that dont, but its not a massive difference.  lots of this is just luck and seasonality.

lets just hope it doesnt come back next flu season.

3 minutes ago, buddha said:

cause california has higher numbers than indiana.  so does washington which has some of the strictest covid regs around.

the mere presence of stricter regulations does not diminish the spread of covid.  i think that more states that have them tend to be better off than those that dont, but its not a massive difference.  lots of this is just luck and seasonality.

lets just hope it doesnt come back next flu season.

But the relevant state is Virginia and not Washington or California. The court case was about facemasks in Virginia schools. I'm not even sure where Indiana comes in either. 

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

But the relevant state is Virginia and not Washington or California. The court case was about facemasks in Virginia schools. I'm not even sure where Indiana comes in either. 

because when you were making fun of virginia and tiger was talking about indiana's lack of a mask mandate, you said indiana had a higher rate of covid per 100k than virginia so they should have a mask mandate.  

but california has a mask mandate and has a higher rate per 100k than indiana.  so maybe its not the mask mandate (or lack thereof), maybe its something else?

2 minutes ago, buddha said:

because when you were making fun of virginia and tiger was talking about indiana's lack of a mask mandate, you said indiana had a higher rate of covid per 100k than virginia so they should have a mask mandate.  

but california has a mask mandate and has a higher rate per 100k than indiana.  so maybe its not the mask mandate (or lack thereof), maybe its something else?

When was I making fun of Virginia? Tiger was questioning Virginia's mask mandate pointing out Indiana doesn't have one to which I reminded him Virginia has a much lower case rate than Indiana. 

15 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

When was I making fun of Virginia? Tiger was questioning Virginia's mask mandate pointing out Indiana doesn't have one to which I reminded him Virginia has a much lower case rate than Indiana. 

sorry, you were making fun of indiana.

point kind of still stands about california and its mask mandate as opposed to indiana.