Coronavirus: Already In a Neighborhood Near You

chasfh

50 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

You probably shouldn't use LeBron as an example when you're talking about hypocrisy.  

Buddha brought him into it. And yes, he's an idiot too. For the exact incident you highlight.

50 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

In his response, replace "Daryl Morey" with whoever you personally don't like the opinion of, and even if you aren't the one screaming at them to stay silent, someone on your side definitely is.

And, whats your point exactly? Why is it my job to account for opinions I don't personally hold?

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, buddha said:

probably.

otoh, its ok to tell lebron james to stfu sometimes.

I see a difference between a rhetorical “shut up” as a argumentative device… like “ you are an idiot, you don’t know what you are talking about” vs “you shouldn’t be speaking up. It’s not your place. The adults are talking. You are just an athlete or movie star. You aren’t a serious person like us pundits on TV who study this all day”. The first is just ball busting among friends.  The second is not and that’s what I see the ingraham types inferring to Lebron.  

• Like 3

20 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Buddha brought him into it. And yes, he's an idiot too. For the exact incident you highlight.

And, whats your point exactly? Why is it my job to account for opinions I don't personally hold?

I wasn't saying that you have to account for opinions you don't hold, nor the message.  But, likely, you'll be more tolerant of the message, even if you don't agree with how it's delivered, if it's from a person you tend to agree with or it's an opinion you agree with.  I just think that's natural for everyone, regardless if you lean to the left or right. 

5 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

I wasn't saying that you have to account for opinions you don't hold, nor the message.  But, likely, you'll be more tolerant of the message, even if you don't agree with how it's delivered, if it's from a person you tend to agree with or it's an opinion you agree with.  I just think that's natural for everyone, regardless if you lean to the left or right. 

I'm pretty intolerant of LeBron's views on China and their actions against the Uyghurs, if that's what you are after. Not to mention the league as a whole.

2 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Neil Young also has some wacky antiscience songs on spotify. Not antivax bad, bit anti-GMO stuff isn't exactly backed by science.

the GMO thing covers multiple of issues. I would agree there is little evidence that GMO food is harmful to consume, but the issue of whether it is harmful to the environment to grow it is a different question. e.g - If engineering crops to resist glyphosate results in more massive quantities of glyphosate being pumped into the environment where it 'overflows' into other systems where it is toxic, you may still believe with justification that there is a problem with GMO.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1