Coronavirus: Already In a Neighborhood Near You

chasfh

1 hour ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I was in Chicago and had to show a vax card as well. Funny story I went to my buddies house in Wrigleyville and went on the L. At two transfers there were dudes selling fake vax cards for $20. I asked to see one and they looked Identical to mine. They must be  real blanks. They would even give you a paper on how you should fill it out and what color pen to use. 

I was at that stop on Saturday morning. We had some time to kill after breakfast so we hopped on to go walk a lap around wrigley. I had never been there.   Nice area.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I don’t get it. As the Buddha stated Cali #s with strict mask mandates still average higher than a wide open state like Indiana including schools. Shouldn’t the science see Indiana a Covid inferno? I go to high school basketball games every week and no one wears masks. These games happen at hundreds of schools since November. You would think with this crazy lifestyle we would be off the charts with infection rate.

The challenge by the school districts is whether or not the governor can override a school district (or local) policy by fiat. If he can order districts to do away with masks, what's to stop him from ordering what or what not to teach, who to hire, etc.

I need to research but I think the schools' argument is the order goes against the state constitution.

2 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I don’t get it. As the Buddha stated Cali #s with strict mask mandates still average higher than a wide open state like Indiana including schools. Shouldn’t the science see Indiana a Covid inferno? I go to high school basketball games every week and no one wears masks. These games happen at hundreds of schools since November. You would think with this crazy lifestyle we would be off the charts with infection rate.

And all the games with 100,000 fans at UM stadium. People maskless (mostly) and screaming. Yeah, it's outdoors but that's a lot of people. 

I don't have any children or grandchildren, so I don't have a horse in that race. But if I did, I would want everyone masked. If not, keep my child at home.

2 hours ago, buddha said:

well i actually live in chicago and there are plenty of people walking around here without masks outside.  inside you have to wear one so everyone is wearing one.

as to vax mandates, you have to show your vax card to get into restaurants and bars and gyms, but they dont always check.  we've been to places as a family and just sat down.  but most places do, so im told.

Maybe he meant indoors. The last time I was at the grocery store, it was about 50-50. We don't have a mask or vaccine state mandate like Illinois does. It sounds like it may be ending soon, it's pretty restrictive.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/coronavirus/2022/2/1/22913203/illinois-coronavirus-vaccine-masks-mandate-chicago-pritzker-omicron-surge-vaccine

31 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

The challenge by the school districts is whether or not the governor can override a school district (or local) policy by fiat. If he can order districts to do away with masks, what's to stop him from ordering what or what not to teach, who to hire, etc.

I need to research but I think the schools' argument is the order goes against the state constitution.

Quick correction, the localities are arguing that the executive order is counter to state law requiring them to follow CDC guidance.

Also noteworthy is that Youngkin campaigned on giving localities control of the school districts. 

3 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Maybe he meant indoors. The last time I was at the grocery store, it was about 50-50. We don't have a mask or vaccine state mandate like Illinois does. It sounds like it may be ending soon, it's pretty restrictive.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/coronavirus/2022/2/1/22913203/illinois-coronavirus-vaccine-masks-mandate-chicago-pritzker-omicron-surge-vaccine

restaurants and bars and gyms have to show a vax card.  everywhere else you have to wear a mask.  indoors everyone will have masks on, outdoors is less.

i never wear a mask outdoors unless i'm in a crowd of people who have them on, then i'll put on one so people dont feel uncomfortable.  but just walking around outside i wont wear one.  if im at work i wear one to go into the building or if im in an elevator with other people, but not when im by myself or at my desk.  thats silly overkill.

3 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

And all the games with 100,000 fans at UM stadium. People maskless (mostly) and screaming. Yeah, it's outdoors but that's a lot of people. 

I don't have any children or grandchildren, so I don't have a horse in that race. But if I did, I would want everyone masked. If not, keep my child at home.

it doesnt really effect kids, so im not worried about it with mine.  they have to wear masks at school, other than that they dont.

the kids go to sleepovers at other kids' houses, they go on play dates.  everyone is fine.

speaking of retrospective studies on masking - from the CDC today. This study was pre-omicron and based on self reporting - so again, FWIW:

reduction in chance of contracting Covid:

Cloth mask = 56%

surgical mask = 66%

N95 mask = 83%

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/mm7106e1.htm?s_cid=mm7106e1_w [cdc.gov]https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/mm7106e1.htm?s_cid=mm7106e1_w [cdc.gov]

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

speaking of retrospective studies on masking - from the CDC today. This study was pre-omicron and based on self reporting - so again, FWIW:

reduction in chance of contracting Covid:

Cloth mask = 56%

surgical mask = 66%

N95 mask = 83%

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/mm7106e1.htm?s_cid=mm7106e1_w [cdc.gov]https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/mm7106e1.htm?s_cid=mm7106e1_w [cdc.gov]

It would be interesting to see post-omicron. I hear stories about how much more contagious it is and it would totally change those numbers. Plus, with the vaccines, many people don't get tested if the don't have symptoms. But they can still have it and pass it on.

11 hours ago, buddha said:

cause california has higher numbers than indiana.  so does washington which has some of the strictest covid regs around.

the mere presence of stricter regulations does not diminish the spread of covid.  i think that more states that have them tend to be better off than those that dont, but its not a massive difference.  lots of this is just luck and seasonality.

lets just hope it doesnt come back next flu season.

I think it has more to do with population density than mask wearing.  MA has been stricter than NH, but NH has done much better than MA throughout.  NH has no big cities and people spend a lot of time outdoors.  

11 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

This has been a continual gripe of mine throughout this pandemic.

Republicans used to hate big government and love local control... now they seem to just talk about hating big government in Washington while telling local governments how to run themselves at the state level. 

In terms of things like mask orders, again, policies may reflect more the desires of the community than some are willing to recognize. 

29 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

In terms of things like mask orders, again, policies may reflect more the desires of the community than some are willing to recognize. 

I would just add that, in terms of Virginia, I saw a map of the counties who were ignoring the Governors order on Twitter... and it wasn't just blue ones. 

Again, I don't think that would be happening if this issue were just "shirts and skins" at this point. Even though it's often how it gets portrayed

Edited by mtutiger
  • Thanks 1

Using Indiana as a Petri Dish and state population sizes aside. Lets use my county Allen (Population 385K). We have 4 school districs that include about 100K students (No mask mandate in any school since school began 8/15/21 )Avg. class size of 32 students. Now with that many kids going to class in and out of cafeterias, sporting events etc.  not one school has been forced to close due to COVID outbreaks. 

I know we are just crazy red state mouth breathers over here but just stating facts.

23 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Using Indiana as a Petri Dish and state population sizes aside. Lets use my county Allen (Population 385K). We have 4 school districs that include about 100K students (No mask mandate in any school since school began 8/15/21 )Avg. class size of 32 students. Now with that many kids going to class in and out of cafeterias, sporting events etc.  not one school has been forced to close due to COVID outbreaks. 

I know we are just crazy red state mouth breathers over here but just stating facts.

Not sure if this is directed at me or not, I dont doubt any of what you are saying. I'm just suggesting that we are a large country and what people in Allen County want may be different than what someone in Chesterfield County VA wants.

As for us here in Texas, we've had schools shut down, even in red areas,  for days at a time on account of this latest outbreak. I'm sure there are reasons for that, who knows.

Edited by mtutiger

17 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Not sure if this is directed at me or not, I dont doubt any of what you are saying. I'm just suggesting that we are a large country and what people in Allen County want may be different than what someone in Chesterfield County VA wants.

As for us here in Texas, we've had schools shut down, even in red areas,  for days at a time on account of this latest outbreak. I'm sure there are reasons for that, who knows.

No not directed at anyone, just illustrating my belief that masks don't seem to make a big difference in a school environment.

44 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

And Indiana has a higher case rate than nearby states such as Michigan, Ohio, Illinois and Wisconsin but just stating facts. 

19 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

And Indiana has a higher case rate than nearby states such as Michigan, Ohio, Illinois and Wisconsin but just stating facts. 

I was at the Pistons game (no mask requirements) last night and stopped at a few bars before the game and could count on my fingers how many people I saw with masks. Cool story though, keep masking up if it makes you feel good I guess.

Edited by Tigeraholic1

5 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I was at the Pistons game (no mask requirements) last night and stopped at a few bars before the game and could count on my fingers how many people I saw with masks. Cool story though, keep masking up if it makes you feel good I guess.

That's fine, you can keep going maskless and pimping Indiana. Seems like it would behoove people of Indiana to wear a mask since only 7 states in the country have a lower vaccination rate than Indiana. 

27 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

No not directed at anyone, just illustrating my belief that masks don't seem to make a big difference in a school environment.

Other than most kids seeming to have higher resistance to Covid, another piece is that you’d have to guess that kids wear masks even more poorly than adults, but again, that kind of thing is very hard to determine with any accuracy

Just now, Tigeraholic1 said:

Shrug, ok thanks. 

california, oregon, washington, and minnesota all have mask mandates and have a higher % of cases than indiana.

again, perhaps there are other reasons than mask mandates as to how and why a virus spreads?  harping on mask mandates to show how indiana is teh stoopidest is silly.

2 minutes ago, buddha said:

california, oregon, washington, and minnesota all have mask mandates and have a higher % of cases than indiana.

again, perhaps there are other reasons than mask mandates as to how and why a virus spreads?  harping on mask mandates to show how indiana is teh stoopidest is silly.

Well I also mentioned how they are terrible in vaccination rate too. Flaunting Indiana as why mask mandates don't matter is silly as well since it's currently one of the worst in the region. Overall, those states you mentioned have done better than Indiana but shrug. 

4 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Well I also mentioned how they are terrible in vaccination rate too. Flaunting Indiana as why mask mandates don't matter is silly as well since it's currently one of the worst in the region. Overall, those states you mentioned have done better than Indiana but shrug. 

Indiana Fully Vax pct. 53.4

Ohio Fully Vax pct. 57

Mich Fully Vax pct. 58.4

Texas Full Vax pct. 59.1

All under 60% yet Indiana is not off the charts with infections, its crazy sceince stuff..... 

I know, I know mask up and shutup the adults are talking.

3 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Indiana Fully Vax pct. 53.4

Ohio Fully Vax pct. 57

Mich Fully Vax pct. 58.4

Texas Full Vax pct. 59.1

All under 60% yet Indiana is not off the charts with infections, its crazy sceince stuff..... 

I know, I know mask up and shutup the adults are talking.

And Indiana is worse than all those states in case rate right now so I'm not sure what point this proves?