Coronavirus: Already In a Neighborhood Near You

chasfh

Ran into somebody I haven't seen in a couple years. More of an acquaintance, but I have nothing against this person, and respect her. Ppl are typically surprised to see me out and about, and she said "Because you're scared of COVID"

I kinda wanted to reply "No... I'm aware of COVID"

1 hour ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Unless a new more dangerous strain pops up it does seem the COVID hysteria is over. Thank God!

From a statistical perspective, you can argue that once the virus made the large genetic leap that got it into the human population, that there was some distribution of viable mutations available to its new form and that with literally trillions of replications at this point, most of those combination have a high probability of already having been hit. OTOH, the counter example would be influenza, which never seems to run out of new variants. Best short answer is that probably that no-one really knows.

One the plus side, Washtenaw county case count for the last 24 hrs just came in at 27. That's about 7/100K. 👏👏

(TBF, the counter point is that low level cases of Omicron are probably not being reported with much reliability anymore - but how much do we care about those cases?)

Edited by gehringer_2

with home tests and asymptomatic cases are way underreported but all that mattes now is hospitalizations.  My wife's place had 2, 0 on ICU.

We've ventured into the "If we had done no restrictions we'd be right where we are now with nothing different" talking point from the deniers.

35 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Purely out of curiosity, in hindsight what restrictions were necessary in your opinion and what ones, if any, weren't?

I'm not super sure - it's hard to say b/c we knew so little at the time some of the things were happening.   Or now we generalize (or maybe over-generalizing) characteristics of the most recent variant onto the past variants.   I remember wondering back at the beginning, when SE Michigan, NYC, and some of the west coast were getting crushed, if they weren't different variants at that point.

I know this isn't what you were asking, but if someone speculates that we'd be in the place as we are now if we'd done a bunch of crap differently, I can also speculate that we'd be in a different place as we are now if we'd done a bunch of crap differently, and we'd both just be speculating.  To me chances are we'd be in a much different place if we behaved differently and speculation parries speculation.

Maybe that's just a fancy way of saying "cool predictions of a fake world" bro and also coming up with cool predictions of a fake world.  Because cool predictions of a fake world are really easy to do, to me there's not much value in cool predictions of a fake world.   

We saw countries not do restrictions and they said it was a mistake.

Edited by pfife

Biff do you have some that in hindsight you'd say we didn't need to do?   I think there are probably some that aren't coming to my head right now that I'd prolly agree with.  I think there were probably some things that were excessive that in hindsight we prolly didn't need to do.

We probably all didn't need to watch Tiger King when this all started that's for sure

7 minutes ago, oblong said:

Washing groceries was probably something we didn't have to do.  And the initial focus on sanitizing everything.

To be fair no one knew shit early on, we were all scared. No lie we washed our delivered groceries as well. Then, as time went on it seemed over the top. Myself and most everyone I know worked exposed, face to face through the whole pandemic. Working from home was not an option. to me it seemed the people who were able to stay home and peer out their window were the biggest advocates for restrictions. So as us knuckle draggers were exposed on the daily we became very cynical to overdoses of restrictions. 

Edited by Tigeraholic1

25 minutes ago, pfife said:

Biff do you have some that in hindsight you'd say we didn't need to do?   I think there are probably some that aren't coming to my head right now that I'd prolly agree with.  I think there were probably some things that were excessive that in hindsight we prolly didn't need to do.

I think it's the consensus that 2 years ago we had no idea what was going on and the fear/panic was real and justified. At the time I found some of the restrictions absolutely ridiculous such as certain parts of stores were off limits, car washes were closed (even though most people could and did use monthly passes) then there was the "you can't buy paint or seeds" restriction that was and is utterly ridiculous.

From a Michigan standpoint, I do not envy the position that Whitmer was put in. What a nightmare. That said, there were things, such as what I mentioned above, that were completely unnecessary and I don't think the general public is going to let that fly when (not if) it happens again.

4 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Curious, did Michigan/ Illinois lift mask restrictions at schools yet?

We just got a notification from our superintendent that mask mandates on school buses is done and students can make their own choice and he encouraged the kids to respect the masking choices of the other students.

4 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

I think it's the consensus that 2 years ago we had no idea what was going on and the fear/panic was real and justified. At the time I found some of the restrictions absolutely ridiculous such as certain parts of stores were off limits, car washes were closed (even though most people could and did use monthly passes) then there was the "you can't buy paint or seeds" restriction that was and is utterly ridiculous.

From a Michigan standpoint, I do not envy the position that Whitmer was put in. What a nightmare. That said, there were things, such as what I mentioned above, that were completely unnecessary and I don't think the general public is going to let that fly when (not if) it happens again.

The certain part of the stores thing was because at the time the stores were only supposed to be open for essential products.  But some big box stores carried everything.  You can buy toilet paper and cleaning supplies at Lowe's but you can't buy paint because it's not essential. If they let you buy paint then they'd have to let "Joe's Paint Store" be open or else it wouldn't have been fair.   It was also to help limit people just wandering around or being clustered in stores before anybody knew what was going on with the virus. 

My wife did get naked in our garage.  That was one benefit.  For a few weeks she would strip in the garage, throw a robe on, then shower.  Then I washed her scrubs and robe.  

2 minutes ago, oblong said:

My wife did get naked in our garage.  That was one benefit.  For a few weeks she would strip in the garage, throw a robe on, then shower.  Then I washed her scrubs and robe.  

Similar at our house. Our washer is right off the garage. Strip in the garage, start the wash then run to the shower. She just recently stopped doing this. She does however still wear a mask in crowded places. Not because she is worried about getting sick but more to prevent getting sick so she did not let down her co-nurses as they became alot closer through all this.