Coronavirus: Already In a Neighborhood Near You

chasfh

1 hour ago, oblong said:

have leaders and those politicians ever said that you can NEVER remove your mask?

Taking your mask for a few seconds for a photo isn't a big deal. 

Manufactured outrage.

True as all of this might be, ya gotta admit that the picture is a bad look for Stacey Abrams, who was literally not reading the room and then felt she had to delete her own tweet after the backlash.

4 hours ago, casimir said:

Yup, bad move.  Heck, not just the masked kids, look at the masked adults in the background.  Everybody in that picture but one person is masked.

I have no problem with it, she did nothing wrong. If you want to slant the optics politically I guess you can get this reaction.....

rick.jpg

10 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Fantastic findings. This also suggests if you are healthy and contract COVID, recover then getting vaxxed is your best long term outcome for immunity. My whole family falls into this scenario.

What was your strategy? Was it to avoid the vax until you got COVID, then get vaxxed? Or was it that you hadn't gotten around to the vax until you were motivated to get it by a COVID diagnose?

Just now, chasfh said:

What was your strategy? Was it to avoid the vax until you got COVID, then get vaxxed? Or was it that you hadn't gotten around to the vax until you were motivated to get it by a COVID diagnose?

No, my age group was not released for the vaccine yet (Jan 2021). My ICU nurse wife brought it home and everyone including my kids were infected. We were told to wait 90 days after recovery to get vaxxed which by then my age group was eligible.

Lift your elitist nose some other direction. Better yet take a bike ride through Buddhas hood. 🙄

3 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

No, my age group was not released for the vaccine yet (Jan 2021). My ICU nurse wife brought it home and everyone including my kids were infected. We were told to wait 90 days after recovery to get vaxxed which by then my age group was eligible.

Lift your elitist nose some other direction. Better yet take a bike ride through Buddhas hood. 🙄

Your first paragraph was a great answer, but I don't understand your hostility after that.

15 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

90% of the population wants those people to shut up, go home, and get a shot.  They aren't going to change anyone's mind.  They are assholes who are emboldened by what they see on TV.

Yeah, the media glorifies it. Ratings are all that matter to them. They prolly want Trump back in office, ratings gold...

1 hour ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Fantastic findings. This also suggests if you are healthy and contract COVID, recover then getting vaxxed is your best long term outcome for immunity. My whole family falls into this scenario.

Actually, I've read that people who recover from an infection and then get vaxxed have the best protection. But...I'll just rely on the vaccine. 😑😑

15 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

90% of the population wants those people to shut up, go home, and get a shot.  They aren't going to change anyone's mind.  They are assholes who are emboldened by what they see on TV.

This makes sense to me.... again, it's a numbers game. What is Canada's vaccination rate, 80% or something?

The outsized voice that a small minority of the citizenry gets during the age of COVID is puzzling... I suspect the need for the mainstream media to frame everything as two equal sides plays a factor, but the reality is that both messages are not proportionally represented at all in the population as a whole.

Edited by mtutiger

1 hour ago, casimir said:

Are you hostile in person?  Is that you in the avatar meeting Chuck?

LOL, a number of us from the board all got together in Chicago to see the Tigers. Chuck was gracious enough to purchase tickets for my family using his connections. It was a Detroit takeover, many more Tigers fans than Cubs. I want to say 2012? 

Edited by Tigeraholic1

Ontario doesn't really do daily cases anymore.  They do, and for what it's worth it is 2,000 now, not 10,000 like at Christmas. But the province has also said "If you are sick, stay home.  Don't go to a test centre unless for some reason you are required to produce a result."  Positivity rate is 14% for those who do get tested.  Most importantly, ICU's are at capacity and total hospital beds are at about 115% capacity, and people still die waiting for surgery that they can't have because there aren't any ICU beds.  So the idea that "omicron isn't as bad" is deeply flawed.  Hospitals are close to overwhelmed.  

From July to early December last year, daily deaths in Ontario were 5. Now it's 70.  That would be useful information for the morons who want to "end all the mandates". 

an analogy I saw was weather related.  Delta was like a Tornado.  Omicron a hurricane.  A tornado is not as massive as a hurricane but very bad where it hits.  A hurricane will most of the time hit a large area and cause minor disruptions for most and tough damage for some.  For most people they'd say they'd rather have a hurricane hit them than a Tornado because it's not as bad... for them.  

15 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Ontario doesn't really do daily cases anymore.  They do, and for what it's worth it is 2,000 now, not 10,000 like at Christmas. But the province has also said "If you are sick, stay home.  Don't go to a test centre unless for some reason you are required to produce a result."  Positivity rate is 14% for those who do get tested.  Most importantly, ICU's are at capacity and total hospital beds are at about 115% capacity, and people still die waiting for surgery that they can't have because there aren't any ICU beds.  So the idea that "omicron isn't as bad" is deeply flawed.  Hospitals are close to overwhelmed.  

From July to early December last year, daily deaths in Ontario were 5. Now it's 70.  That would be useful information for the morons who want to "end all the mandates". 

I've always said that the impact to hospitals has to be the key metric.  Things are getting better in Michigan but still far form "normal".  We never got as bad as they were in 2020 or early 2021.  "Full" meant different things back then.  But until surgeries are not delayed and people laying in beds in the hallway then it's bad.

1 hour ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

LOL, a number of us from the board all got together in Chicago to see the Tigers. Chuck was gracious enough to purchase tickets for my family using his connections. It was a Detroit takeover, many more Tigers fans than Cubs. I want to say 2012? 

Yes, that was a good day, Ben.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHN/CHN201206130.shtml

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, oblong said:

I've always said that the impact to hospitals has to be the key metric.  Things are getting better in Michigan but still far form "normal".  We never got as bad as they were in 2020 or early 2021.  "Full" meant different things back then.  But until surgeries are not delayed and people laying in beds in the hallway then it's bad.

The minute cases are reported down, people will want to drop all precautions and mandates. It's happened before and it will happen again. But hopefully, there won't be another variant or if there is, it will be even more mild. Hospitalizations and deaths we see today are from cases 2 to 5 weeks ago. Hospitalizations will be coming down rapidly. Hopefully for good, our HCW need a nice long break.

1 hour ago, Jim Cowan said:

chicago icus are at 80% capacity and 14% of those beds are taken up by covid patients.