Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

53 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Not only the FR, but also the English Civil War, whence the impetus for separation of Church and State and the general Yankee disposition toward religious tolerance.

The general struggle between pilgrims and cavaliers began thus.

There are of course a lot of other influence:  various immigration waves, the various African-American cultures which formed in pockets based on the type of crops and plantation styles and in response to the manner of being freed. 

Obviously, Hispanic culture has its own long history. 

13 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Jesus, they keep making it worse. 

Coming at this from someone who lives in a state that, like Tennessee, has been essentially a one-party state for years, and setting aside the obvious racism displayed by the TN House, it's also an example of how these legislatures in the south aren't used to actually having to deal with dissent.

I've listened to the term "bubble dweller" for years in reference to more liberal constituencies, but there are no bigger bubble-dwellers in America than these GOP reps in Tennessee. The maps are drawn and the legislature is rigged to where the opposition party is completely irrelevant... not just having majorities, but veto-proof majorities that make dissent all-but-nonexistant.

So, yeah, not shocking that they chose to have a temper tantrum after realizing that there are a bunch of people in places within their borders like Nashville, Memphis or Knoxville who don't just love whatever they do... it's probably been years since these guys have received pushback on anything.

12 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

.... the idea that "America" could "lose prestige internationally", well, with all respect to my dear friends here, if I were you I would not worry too much about that, that ship sails on a regular schedule.  And it does not need any help from any outside interests...

I don't know of too many people here that actually care about "international prestige".

"All I want for Christmas is a Constitutional Democracy..."

Please, Santa.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

... Chuck Todd ... in the middle of the interview he just blurted out "is America losing its moral authority" and after my surprised snort ...

On this (quoted):

America's claim to "moral authority", such as it is...

Is based on our never-ending push for universal human rights, freedoms and democracy across the world. And also our massive economy in which we spend a portion of it to assist 3rd world countries and other countries in need, around the world.

Do we have a great track record? No.

Should we look in the mirror at our own actions within this country? Absolutely yes.

But I also don't believe our moral authority is nothing.

28 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

On this (quoted):

America's claim to "moral authority", such as it is...

Is based on our never-ending push for universal human rights, freedoms and democracy across the world. And also our massive economy in which we spend a portion of it to assist 3rd world countries and other countries in need, around the world.

Do we have a great track record? No.

Should we look in the mirror at our own actions within this country? Absolutely yes.

But I also don't believe our moral authority is nothing.

In actuality, there are a lot of people outside the US who do look upon it as a big fat dumb place with a generally good heart.  The see that the actual makers of things are clever.  The business sharps are clever.  The entertainment is top notch.  But, alas, the accumulated mass of our democracy behaves like a toddler. 

It doesn't mean we aren't generally on the side of pluralism and human rights.  We do have a lot of people trying to do the right things.  We do think we are better in alliances even if many of my colleagues wouldn't trust a Brit as far as they could throw him and we've been allied with them for longer than almost anyone.  We do believe we are for free and fair trade even if it isn't perfect. 

So, enough of the moral relativism.  America is actually weird in good ways and stupid in some bad ways. 

10 hours ago, romad1 said:

So, the other history majors can weigh in as they like.  I think in a lot of ways Canada has been more of the sort of society the original Plymouth settlement pilgrims thought they'd like to create.   I've had it explained to me many times that the United States has always had the two themes of Plymouth (holy and sacred and for the believers, whomever they are) and Jamestown (lets make some money to propagate a social order that suits those at the top just fine).

The Northern culture -- guided by the spirit of the pilgrims and English influences like William Wilberforce/the Clapham sect -- warned by the chaos of the French Revolution and -- tainted by dark satanic mills and the general struggle for labor rights.  They, using superior economic power and larger manpower fought to end slavery and imposed a civilization onto the South that many southern Whites resent. 

The Southern culture -- guided by those cavalier slave-holding cannibals that figured out how to sell plantation crops like tobacco to the World and thus proved that those at the top were God-chosen for power and those just below them on the pecking order, the crackers who imposed their social order on slaves and criminals (hence the boner for cop culture) and  hold military duty in high regard.   Those just-below the pecking order whites have been militarized by the feudal lords on multiple occasions for all sorts of evil stuff.

Now, another guy wrote a very interesting book i base this on.  Called Albion's Seed that identified these basic stock cultures. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albion's_Seed

Albion’s Seed seems fairly similar to the book American Nations by Colin Woodard, same concept and broader in scope.

7 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Coming at this from someone who lives in a state that, like Tennessee, has been essentially a one-party state for years, and setting aside the obvious racism displayed by the TN House, it's also an example of how these legislatures in the south aren't used to actually having to deal with dissent.

Literally all those Confederate states developed fascist Jim Crow societies post-Civil War for the expressed purpose of maintaining the social order they enjoyed under two-plus centuries of slavery, and the upper South weren’t remarkably better about it than the Deep South. The Civil Rights Act of 1964 removed the federal imprimatur on this system, but they’ve been fighting it in their own inimical way ever since. This fascism doesn’t apply only to black people, of course, but they do bear the brunt of it.

Maybe MGT is right after all. They can have their own country if they want it and they are free to slip into literal second world status if they desire, but we get to keep all the military bases Gitmo-style.

NYPICHPDPICT000009452435.jpg?resize=768,

A Florida middle school teacher has been arrested for hosting student fights and letting her kids brawl in the classroom, according to reports.

Angel Footman, 23, allegedly allowed kids to sock each other senseless as she looked on from her desk, sometimes telling kids not to record the blows or attract attention by screaming and yelling.

https://nypost.com/2023/04/10/florida-teacher-busted-for-hosting-student-brawls-in-class/