Javy Baez

UCFKNIGHT

19 hours ago, UCFKNIGHT said:

Does Baez like playing in Detroit? I just hope Baez doesn’t become a malcontent much like David price. David Price never wanted to leave the Tampa Bay Rays, and I believe he hated every second in Detroit. Price also hated playing in Boston. Price confronted Dennis Eckersley, on the team plane, after a Red Sox loss.

Of course the noteworthy difference being, Price got traded here, whereas Baez signed a contract and came here of his own will.  But initially when still in the optimism stage,...  I, like you, worried whether Baez could be happy here. Especially the first few weeks of the season, the game face he wore did not look like a happy man. And I found myself concerned that he might not wish to stay with us.

Lately, that's been far less a concern for me, personally.

My favorite part of this thread is the conceit of the one guy coming in here and crowing, "See, I told you Javy Baez sucks! I was right and all you stupid sabers were WRONG!!"

When nothing that's happening with him is inconsistent with anything any of us who have experience watching Javy over the years has said.

8 minutes ago, chasfh said:

My favorite part of this thread is the conceit of the one guy coming in here and crowing, "See, I told you Javy Baez sucks! I was right and all you stupid sabers were WRONG!!"

UI is living in the 1990s.  He already lost the saber debate.  He just doesn't know it.    

Edited by Tiger337

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

When nothing that's happening with him is inconsistent with anything any of us who have experience watching Javy over the years has said.

It's a love affair with one's self that we have not seen the likes of before, maybe not even from Triple7even.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/29/2022 at 5:56 PM, chasfh said:

Actually, the way I recall it, I came onto this board shortly after we signed Baez, lamenting that I felt it was the wrong choice. And it was the superiority complex typical of this board assuring ME that I didn't know what I was talking about, etc  etc.  I believe there was even a confident assurance from you personally that Javy was going to do just fine.

So if ANYTHING, you have the conceit on the wrong foot.  I'm merely basking in vindication.

Of course, it likely didn't seem like "conceit" to you at the time.  You probably just felt as though you were schooling the ignorant?  😱

34 minutes ago, Useful Idiot said:

Actually, the way I recall it, I came onto this board shortly after we signed Baez, lamenting that I felt it was the wrong choice. And it was the superiority complex typical of this board assuring ME that I didn't know what I was talking about, etc  etc.  I believe there was even a confident assurance from you personally that Javy was going to do just fine.

So if ANYTHING, you have the conceit on the wrong foot.  I'm merely basking in vindication.

Of course, it likely didn't seem like "conceit" to you at the time.  You probably just felt as though you were schooling the ignorant?  😱

How do you rationalize the first 2-3 weeks of the season when Javy started off genuinely hot and won us a couple of games with his bat? Not to mention the game he almost won in Minnesota with the 8th inning 3-run homer before Haase threw it into left field. You do acknowledge this part of the season actually happened, correct?

11 minutes ago, Nerb said:

How do you rationalize the first 2-3 weeks of the season when Javy started off genuinely hot and won us a couple of games with his bat? Not to mention the game he almost won in Minnesota with the 8th inning 3-run homer before Haase threw it into left field. You do acknowledge this part of the season actually happened, correct?

Fair point, I mean he did hit .295 AVG and .826 OPS in April.  Bur, that was only 11 games because of that wrist or whatever he hurt.  But he has been a horrow show in May.

17 hours ago, Useful Idiot said:

Look, I like you and everything, you're an entertaining poster, and you have some pretty good takes here and there, same way most of us here do. But come on, this post is just hot nonsense.

First of all, you didn't join right after Javy Baez signed. You joined two months prior to that and had logged at least a gross of posts by the time that happened. So you need to get your recallometer checked.

Secondly, you did post a few things about Javy before he was signed and you were on record firmly against it happening, but it's not as though you were then immediately attacked by sabermetric posters out to crush you for your, I suppose, apostasy. You actually got a lot of agreement on this board about him, and those of us here who either liked the signing, or were at least OK with it, freely admitted his down sides. I myself, having watched him live for seven seasons, am keenly aware of his strengths and weaknesses, and I do admit to trying to draw some hope out of some of his process improvements in New York. But I was also on record here that Javy was not my first choice, and I'm nearly certain no one else here had him as their #1 target, either. So it's not like it was you against some Javy Army, because there isn't one here and never has been.

Lastly, once Javy was signed, you didn't post boo about the deal or about him the player until this month, when it was safe to do so once he'd already gotten off to his unmistakably slow start. So this narrative you've spun about being this lone voice of reason heroically standing up to the woke saber mob day after dayonce he had signed crumbles pretty quickly.

Now personally, my opinion is that the guy is ours now, so we might as well root for him to turn it around, which history has shown will happen at some point, unless at age 29 he's done done, which seems super unlikely. In the meantime, you yourself are obviously totally allowed to give up on him completely. Not all people here will agree with that, but maybe some do, and either way, there's room for all kinds of opinions here. But your self-serving Javy-is-toast campaign of the last couple weeks here is rather confusing because none of us here can figure out exactly who it is you're waging it against. Unless it's this guy:

image.png.e0ea934211b2d6d60e7e97cae85270d6.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I admit that I liked the signing, all things being equal I would've prefered Correa but at the time of the Baez signing everybody assumed it would take Lindor money to get him so getting Javy for half that seemed like a better use of our budget.

Also as expected I figured we would struggle with the long ball so I assumed we would atleast be able to pencil Javy in for 25+ to help counteract the expected HR regression of Hasse and Grossman. Unfortunately that hasn't been the case which is the biggest disappointment. I think we all figured he would be a low obp guy but if he could slug for .500+ you could accept it.

Edited by RandyMarsh

4 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I admit that I liked the signing, all things being equal I would've prefered Correa but at the time of the Baez signing everybody assumed it would take Lindor money to get him so getting Javy for half that seemed like a better use of our budget.

Also as expected I figured we would struggle with the long ball so I assumed we would atleast be able to pencil Javy in for 25+ to help counteract the expected HR regression of Hasse and Grossman. Unfortunately that hasn't been the case which is the biggest disappointment. I think we all figured he would be a low obp guy but if he could slug for .500+ you could accept it.

I agree with all of that.  I also liked that there was a opt out after two years, but I figured he had a couple of good years in him before he started to fade.  I still think that.  

6 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I agree with all of that.  I also liked that there was a opt out after two years, but I figured he had a couple of good years in him before he started to fade.  I still think that.  

Baez is soon to catch on FAYAAAHHH!!!

Book it.

247 people replying to this topic and one person is comparing Neifi Perez to Javy Baez. I admit I don’t know much about statistics and the technicalities of baseball, however I do know Javy Baez is a much better player than Neifi Perez. It’s going to be entertaining watching Javy Baez blasting baseballs all over various ballparks once he breaks out of his slump.