Javy Baez

UCFKNIGHT

Remember that list shortstops on the free agent list

Javy is under .200

Carlos Correa - Hurt (again) and only 3 HR

Corey Seager is only hitting .241 

Marcus Semien - almost identical numbers to Javy  (as a 2b)

Trevor Story only hitting .230  (as a 2b)

Andrelton Simmons hitting .186 - only 15 games so far

Jose Iglesias actually hitting .316 (no home runs), but is the worst defensive SS in baseball.  

All of them are kind of busts right now.  I know Seagar has 11 HR and Story has 9, but for the money they got paid, that's not a success.   

21 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Jose Iglesias actually hitting .316 (no home runs), but is the worst defensive shortstop in baseball.

That's amazing, I remember how happy I was when the Tigers acquired him, finally a glove man at shortstop after all those years in the wilderness.

22 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Javy is under .200

Jose Iglesias actually hitting .316 (no home runs), but is the worst defensive SS in baseball.  

All of them are kind of busts right now.  I know Seagar has 11 HR and Story has 9, but for the money they got paid, that's not a success.   

Batting averages?  How cute.

23 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Javy is under .200

Seager has a w/RC+ of 149

Story is at 121

Both guys are slugging  over .450.

Baez would be fine if he was making more hard contact. Maybe today is a good first step....although the Yankees starter couldn't attack him with a slider.

Edited by kdog

I'm watching yesterday's game now and just finished his second K (with Meadows on second base).... obviously the swing and miss on the slider out of the zone wasn't great, but in the proceeding couple of pitches he fouled off a couple of pretty hittable fastballs in the zone, including one that was basically center cut.

I'm not sure the chase out of the zone is all that much different than the rest of his career, but he's not connecting on a lot of hittable pitches as well. That may be a lot of his problem as well.... it's not just getting pitchers into the zone, it's that he's not doing much damage even when they are in the zone.

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, mtutiger said:

I'm watching yesterday's game now and just finished his second K (with Meadows on second base).... obviously the swing and miss on the slider out of the zone wasn't great, but in the proceeding couple of pitches he fouled off a couple of pretty hittable fastballs in the zone, including one that was basically center cut.

I'm not sure the chase out of the zone is all that much different than the rest of his career, but he's not connecting on a lot of hittable pitches as well. That may be a lot of his problem as well.... it's not just getting pitchers into the zone, it's that he's not doing much damage even when they are in the zone.

if he was younger/more junior in his career, he'd be extended some mercy and sent to Toledo to work things out.  Unfortunately, he has to try and solve this facing MLB pitchers--I suspect a lot of it is mental now and is just digging a hole for himself.  I'd give serious consideration to bringing in a former coach who has worked with him (and not currently hired by another organization), if that person exists.  The guy needs to hear an external voice that he can trust right now.

I say this half in jest but part of me thinks he should legit try it and that is once he gets to two strikes just take a couple pitches, if it ends up being a fastball down the middle and you do down looking so be it. 

On the other hand if they are sliders away like they have basically been every time you now show teams that you are willing to lay off of them so maybe they'll actually start to throw you something different sometimes going forward. 

14 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

if he was younger/more junior in his career, he'd be extended some mercy and sent to Toledo to work things out.  Unfortunately, he has to try and solve this facing MLB pitchers--I suspect a lot of it is mental now and is just digging a hole for himself.  I'd give serious consideration to bringing in a former coach who has worked with him (and not currently hired by another organization), if that person exists.  The guy needs to hear an external voice that he can trust right now.

hitting is weird. I know with Javy he looks so terrible when he lunges at that outside slider you think there is no hope for him, but watch Schoop next time he starts to slump. He'll looks every bit as hopeless. He wasn't getting anywhere near pitches in April and to have watched him you'd think the guy couldn't have ever hit successfully in the majors. But something clicks and a guy starts to zero in on good pitches. Schoop went from a <400 OPS in April to ~700 in May. He's still not at 100% but at least he looks like he knows what he is doing again as a hitter. The same will probably happen with Javy. One of the things that aggregate counting stats don't tell you about a guy is whether he is a Tortoise or a Hare. There are guys whose monthly OPS splits hardly vary and there are guys who run hot and cold 50 -100 AB at a time and you don't know it to look at the back of their baseball cards. Javy and Schoop are both streak hitters. As a GM you do probably want to limit your exposure that kind of guy though or you can end up with your whole team in a funk at one time - and we have.

5 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I say this half in jest but part of me thinks he should legit try it and that is once he gets to two strikes just take a couple pitches, if it ends up being a fastball down the middle and you do down looking so be it. 

Yup - pitchers use that fact that most hitters hate to take a called K more than a swing and miss and use that against them. But it's not just jest. If a hitter is too unwilling to take a called 3rd he will never be as good as he could be. It's a chance you have to take at least once in a while to keep pitchers honest. 

Edited by gehringer_2

33 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I hear Joe Maddon's got some free time now 😄

• Haha 1

On 6/7/2022 at 10:42 AM, chasfh said:

The inability to fix Javy Baez is a prime example of Scott Coolbaugh's failure as the hitting coach—as though averaging 2.8 runs per game weren't enough.

I am not saying Coolbaugh is a great coach, but he doesn't have much to work with.  A chef can only do so much with spoiled meat and rotten veggies.

31 minutes ago, tiger2022 said:

I am not saying Coolbaugh is a great coach, but he doesn't have much to work with.  A chef can only do so much with spoiled meat and rotten veggies.

I don't know anything about Coolbaugh as a coach, but he has come magic kind of aura around him politically because just in terms of the normal dynamics of team accountability, we have a hitting coach presiding over a bunch of hitters performing at once in a century poor levels and the only thing you get when Coolbaugh's name comes up is a shrug. Any number of Tiger hitting coaches as recently as Lloyd have been regularly roasted over teams that performed much closer to their expected norms than this one. 

7 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I don't know anything about Coolbaugh as a coach, but he has come magic kind of aura around him politically because just in terms of the normal dynamics of team accountability, we have a hitting coach presiding over a bunch of hitters performing at once in a century poor levels and the only thing you get when Coolbaugh's name comes up is a shrug. Any number of Tiger hitting coaches as recently as Lloyd have been regularly roasted over teams that performed much closer to their expected norms than this one. 

I don't really know how much a hitting coach can help veteran players.  A lot of the same players did fine with him there last year and Baez has been uncoachable his entire career.  

Edited by Tiger337
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tiger337 said:

I don't really know how much a hitting coach can help veteran players.  

Oh - I know that, but my point is that that isn't how it usually works with management. We know their team's performance wasn't Madden or Girardi's fault either, but in the real world that not how the cookie usually gets crumbled.