General Tiger Discussion

oblong

5 hours ago, casimir said:

Yeah, I saw something by someone somewhere or another that Crane would authorize a 6 year deal at a high AAV with an opt out after two.

I did some light maths earlier today.  Correa is looking for a Lindor deal, 10/$350M, an AAV of $35M.  He has played in about 80% of MLB games since his debut.  The Tigers offered 10/$270M (allegedly), an AAV of $27M.  80% of $35M is $28M.  

Need to bookmark this thread here so we can check back and see how much Avila missed by in the end.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, Longgone said:

Length and AAV, they've not been top of the market players. 10/300+ seems inconceivable for them.

You may be right. Or it may have been some posturing on their part to eventually get him down from 10/340 to, I don't know, 8/240, or maybe 10/2-something.

My first thought on the Tigers is that they played five months of over .500 ball last season. Their starting premise should be .500 for the season.

They replaced injured players (Rogers, Turnbull, Boyd) with equal or better replacements (Barnhart, Ed Rod - likely with more to come after the lockout ends). They took their weakest position (SS) and make it their strongest position (Baez). Baez is about a 5 WAR player. Our previous SSs were -5. That give us perhaps 10 additional wins (not even considering improvement from other young players, Mize, Skubal, Manning, Soto, Fundy, Cisnero, Candy, Baddoo, Hill). 

All of a sudden we are in the 90+ W range and serious playoff contention.

2 hours ago, Fox Wismic said:

My first thought on the Tigers is that they played five months of over .500 ball last season. Their starting premise should be .500 for the season.

They replaced injured players (Rogers, Turnbull, Boyd) with equal or better replacements (Barnhart, Ed Rod - likely with more to come after the lockout ends). They took their weakest position (SS) and make it their strongest position (Baez). Baez is about a 5 WAR player. Our previous SSs were -5. That give us perhaps 10 additional wins (not even considering improvement from other young players, Mize, Skubal, Manning, Soto, Fundy, Cisnero, Candy, Baddoo, Hill). 

All of a sudden we are in the 90+ W range and serious playoff contention.

Easy there, big fella!

We definitely need our pitchers to stay healthy, but look what we overcame last year - lost two starters (three counting Teheran). Lost our catcher. Lost two OFers who collided with each other - and still played a bit over .500 for five months.

77-85. Eliminate the horrific start and we'd have been more like 83-79. So expecting 90ish now is not unreasonable at all. Sign another decent starter and it becomes an expectation.

14 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Another wild card for this team is the bullpen.  Fans complained about the pen last year, but they were surprisingly good at finishing off wins.  They will either need a repeat performance and I am not really confident they will get it from that group.  

BP can be frustrating. The Tigers will go into the year with all kinds of guys that should be able to supplement the BP: Wentz, maybe Faedo, Roni Garcia, Olsen, Ty Maddon was supposed to be nearly ML ready. It's not like they lack for arms, and yet we've seen years before with this many guys in the pipeline and they all fail!

8 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

BP can be frustrating. The Tigers will go into the year with all kinds of guys that should be able to supplement the BP: Wentz, maybe Faedo, Roni Garcia, Olsen, Ty Maddon was supposed to be nearly ML ready. It's not like they lack for arms, and yet we've seen years before with this many guys in the pipeline and they all fail!

It's not just the Tigers.  Year to year bullpen performance is so erratic, that's it's always hard to make reliable projections.  You could take all the bullpens in baseball and predict their order of success based on a random number generator and you might do just as well as if you tried to figure it out systematically!  

3 hours ago, Fox Wismic said:

... and it becomes an expectation.

I think I am going to go into next year with no expectations... that way I'm not locked in to a win goal or playoff goal...

Although like you I do expect them to be in the 90 game win range and compete for the playoffs. And think that's entirely reasonable.

Bullpens sure can be fickle. That's why a guy like Josh Hader, who is solid every year, is so valuable. I would've mortgaged the farm to get him when he was available.

But between Soto, Cisnero, Funky, Wentz, Olsen, and a few others, I think they'll be good again overall.

90 wins is a good goal to shoot for. Actually making the post-season depends on how other teams do as well, or if the playoffs are expanded in the new agreement.

11 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

I think I am going to go into next year with no expectations... that way I'm not locked in to a win goal or playoff goal...

Although like you I do expect them to be in the 90 game win range and compete for the playoffs. And think that's entirely reasonable.

I am at the 83 to 85 win range for the Tigers, for 2022, assuming the season starts on time. With a 14 team playoff, 87 wins should get a team in.

11 hours ago, Fox Wismic said:

Bullpens sure can be fickle. That's why a guy like Josh Hader, who is solid every year, is so valuable. I would've mortgaged the farm to get him when he was available.

But between Soto, Cisnero, Funky, Wentz, Olsen, and a few others, I think they'll be good again overall.

90 wins is a good goal to shoot for. Actually making the post-season depends on how other teams do as well, or if the playoffs are expanded in the new agreement.

My goal for the Tigers will be 90 wins every year from 2022 forward.  I don't think they'll reach it in 2022, but they have a chance.  The post-season is mostly a crapshoot.  

Okay, Okay.   Lets just say Greene and Tork have incredible Springs  (or great starts to the AAA season while baseball is locked out to start the season)........and you start the season with the following roster

Catchers - Tucker Barnhart, Erica Haase

Infielders - Javier Baez, Miguel Cabrera, Jeimer Candelario, Willi Castro, Harold Castro, Jonathan Schoop

Outfielders - Akil Baddoo, Riley Greene, Robert Grossman, Victor Reyes. 

What's your batting order?    

Grossman, lf
Greene, rf
Baez, ss
Schoop, 2b
Cabreara, dh
Candelario, 3b
Torkelson, 1b
Barnhart, c
Baddoo/Reyes, cf

Edited by Motor City Sonics

28 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Okay, Okay.   Lets just say Greene and Tork have incredible Springs  (or great starts to the AAA season while baseball is locked out to start the season)........and you start the season with the following roster

Infielders - Javier Baez, Miguel Cabrera, Jeimer Candelario, Willi Castro, Harold Castro, Jonathan Schoop

Grossman, lf
Greene, rf
Baez, ss
Schoop, 2b
Cabreara, dh
Candelario, 3b
Torkelson, 1b
Barnhart, c
Baddoo/Reyes, cf

Loss.

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Grossman, lf
Greene, rf
Baez, ss
Schoop, 2b
Cabreara, dh
Candelario, 3b
Torkelson, 1b
Barnhart, c
Baddoo/Reyes, cf

Like G2 says...

Hill makes the team out of ST; also... you're actually missing Tork on your roster there, although you have him in the lineup; and... I don't think Willi Castro makes the team out of ST, it'll be someone else they want to check out like Paredes or Clemens or...?