General Tiger Discussion

oblong

5 hours ago, 1776 said:

Many many moons ago Selleck came to Durham for a play. The title of the play was, A Thousand Clowns. My wife has always been a huge Selleck fan. We attended one of the shows there and it was great. This was several years after the Magnum television series ended.

FWIW, I was flipping channels not long ago and saw that the reboot featured a Detroit Tigers hat on an actor.

20 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Lol at Shoeless Joe Jackson for Tennessee and Hank Aaron for Montana. Also love the randoms like Mondesi for Mississippi(I presume he has some ties there but still weird) and Yelich for Alaska. Atleast Yelich is a name player but still what makes Alaskans like him so much? 

Alaska has the interwebs?

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Lol at Shoeless Joe Jackson for Tennessee and Hank Aaron for Montana. Also love the randoms like Mondesi for Mississippi(I presume he has some ties there but still weird) and Yelich for Alaska. Atleast Yelich is a name player but still what makes Alaskans like him so much? 

it was like three people 

30 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

With the SS market heating up at the time and guys flying off the board the Tigers probably didn't want to wait around and play games with Correa and end up with nothing.  Perhaps now that they secured Baez they may be more willing to play the back and forth game with him when the CBA gets settled. 

59 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

With the SS market heating up at the time and guys flying off the board the Tigers probably didn't want to wait around and play games with Correa and end up with nothing.  Perhaps now that they secured Baez they may be more willing to play the back and forth game with him when the CBA gets settled. 

Teach Baez to have a lot more patience and a much better discerning eye and we may have a "Correa Equivalent" anyways. Like he did with the Mets in a SSS.

28 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Teach Baez to have a lot more patience and a much better discerning eye and we may have a "Correa Equivalent" anyways. Like he did with the Mets in a SSS.

This sounds different than the “Correa or bust” mantra that we’ve heard around here.

32 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I'm not holding my breath expecting any great hitting breakthroughs from a 29yr old. But if he makes even marginal improvements it's all icing on the cake. He's the SS after all. Catch the ball and give me 800 OPS and I'm a happy camper.

• Like 1

I wasn't a hard-coded Correa or Bust. I also stated that around here a few times.

I wanted Correa because he was the best player.

And Baez the least because as a wild swinger I think that will cause serious problems, in the near future.

But I also said if we signed him, or anyone "Not-Correa", I'd get on board and get behind that player. Even Baez. 

It was a soft (not completely serious) Correa or Bust...

But now our best outcome is for Hinch to convince Baez to not swing at everything/ anything... For Baez... that means replicating what he did with the Mets, and improving upon that if Hinch etal can get him to do that...

Just now, 1984Echoes said:

He made marginal or better improvements with the Mets... And I expect Hinch to push him on that...

I won't put any numbers on it... but let's just see what Hinch etal can do with him.

Maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised on the upside (I do actually expect Hinch to have a positive impact on Baez...).

I'm not sure that Correa is conceivable anymore, but that fact that we have Schoop should not be a reason to avoid signing him, while moving Baez to 2B.  With the crazy contracts being thrown around for middle infielders, Jonathan at $7.5M is a bargain for any team that misses out.  And we don't have any 2B coming up, so it still is a position of need longer term.

I really think Correa is going to land back with the Astros, and really, they'd be nuts to let him go. With apologies to Shorty, Correa's is the best homegrown player on that team, and he's on a clear Hall of Fame trajectory. In a way, he's kind of like their Barry Bonds: everyone in his baseball hometown adores him, and everyone outside that town hates him. And I don't see the Yankees signing him anyway because half the guys on that roster were there when the Astros cheated past them into the Series in 2017, and since Correa is the public apologist for that whole shameful incident, they'll never forget that.

Besides, I'll bet that in far less than ten years, we'll be wiping our brow for having dodged a bullet by not signing him, and maybe that's why the now-analytics-savvy Tigers lowballed him.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I really think Correa is going to land back with the Astros, and really, they'd be nuts to let him go. With apologies to Shorty, Correa's is the best homegrown player on that team, and he's on a clear Hall of Fame trajectory. In a way, he's kind of like their Barry Bonds: everyone in his baseball hometown adores him, and everyone outside that town hates him. And I don't see the Yankees signing him anyway because half the guys on that roster were there when the Astros cheated past them into the Series in 2017, and since Correa is the public apologist for that whole shameful incident, they'll never forget that.

Besides, I'll bet that in far less than ten years, we'll be wiping our brow for having dodged a bullet by not signing him, and maybe that's why the now-analytics-savvy Tigers lowballed him.

My guess? If Houston gets him back it will be by offering a ridiculous AAV. They seem pretty intent on not going anywhere near 10 yrs. 

12 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

My guess? If Houston gets him back it will be by offering a ridiculous AAV. They seem pretty intent on not going anywhere near 10 yrs. 

Yeah, I saw something by someone somewhere or another that Crane would authorize a 6 year deal at a high AAV with an opt out after two.

I did some light maths earlier today.  Correa is looking for a Lindor deal, 10/$350M, an AAV of $35M.  He has played in about 80% of MLB games since his debut.  The Tigers offered 10/$270M (allegedly), an AAV of $27M.  80% of $35M is $28M.  

• Like 1