General Tiger Discussion

oblong

5 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

I would would also eliminate the Ferris wheel and the merry-go-round.  This is a baseball event, not a fair.  It never made any sense to have these things.  

You want to take your kids to a ball game but it lasts four hours. It’s an amenity for parents. I’ve only seen one game at Comerica because I live 2000 miles away so I don’t know how often those amenities, however, are actually used. 

1 hour ago, IdahoBert said:

You want to take your kids to a ball game but it lasts four hours. It’s an amenity for parents. I’ve only seen one game at Comerica because I live 2000 miles away so I don’t know how often those amenities, however, are actually used. 

If your kids aren't interested in watching a ballgame, don't take them to a ballgame. 

8 hours ago, JackPine said:

I see, there already is quite a few garages around the park, So the new question is, why not convert one of the surface lots to a garage? Pretty obvious I don't live in Detroit huh?

The lots can be seen as a placeholder in case other developments pop up. For example they announced yesterday some new construction for UM that's going to take up one of the lots that I started to use since everything there is cashless now.  You can prepay and use a barcode to get in and out.

1 hour ago, oblong said:

The lots can be seen as a placeholder in case other developments pop up. For example they announced yesterday some new construction for UM that's going to take up one of the lots that I started to use since everything there is cashless now.  You can prepay and use a barcode to get in and out.

Could this be the reincarnation of Ross's project? There was a story a few day ago that UM now has sole ownership of the Rackham bldg at Farnsworth near the Museum/Library area and they are going to spend 40 million to rehab it for use as what sounds like a campus extension service but it included no news about the failed UM Ross/Gilbert innovation center. I had read somewhere else that were weren't any other tracts in the size range of the Gratiot/St Antione Site (14 acres) available in DT area - that while Ilitch et al hold a good deal of developable land, nothing was contiguous in that size range. That surprised me. 

26 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Here's the story. What an ugly building. My wife described it as a combination toaster/file holder design

https://record.umich.edu/articles/detroit-center-for-innovation-to-be-built-in-the-district-detroit/

LOL - the one day I don't see the 'Record'.

Sounds like a white elephant to me. And quite the scale back from the plan for a 14 acre project at the St. Antione site to 3 acres in 'the District'. Mr Ross is apparently so hot to have his name on another building that whether it makes sense for the U is a minor concern. At least with the current siting they can sell it back to WSU after Ross dies.

Edited by gehringer_2