General Tiger Discussion

oblong

Figured we could use this to just talk about general Tiger stuff outside of a game thread... and anything else baseball related.

Some movement in the development staff as the team let go a bunch of guys, Willie Blair/AJ Sager, and their Latin PD guy.  Looking for a new PD director.

Also, did you all see the Houston play the other day with the appeal?

Sacrifice fly to right, runner scores, another runner advances to third.  The scoring runner left early.  As they appeal, the Houston runner breaks for home.  The pitcher gets him in a rundown and tags him out.  But then they lost their appeal opportunity.  Houston traded a run for two outs.  Genius.

Just an FYI we are currently projected to pick 13th in the draft. Its looking like barring a collapse by us or a team behind us like the Padres, Phillies and Reds(each have 4 less losses than us) we will be picking between 11th or 14th.

After 4 straight years of top 5 picks this is gonna feel a little strange.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Archie said:

Mookie Betts did a good deed a few days ago getting TJ Friedl's first MLB hit and home run ball back from a fan in the stands.  He traded his own signed bat for the ball. That's a pretty good trade for the fan.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/look-mookie-betts-retrieves-first-home-run-ball-for-cincinnati-reds-rookie-tj-friedl/

Love it.

4 hours ago, oblong said:

I thought I had read too that the fan gave the bat away to some Dodger fans nearby.

Seriously?  Maybe humanity has a chance.

Edited by casimir
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Just an FYI we are currently projected to pick 13th in the draft. Its looking like barring a collapse by us or a team behind us like the Padres, Phillies and Reds(each have 4 less losses than us) we will be picking between 11th or 14th.

After 4 straight years of top 5 picks this is gonna feel a little strange.

Somehow the Yankees always draft towards the end and they get incredible players because they know how to develop talent. Hopefully the massacre that happened in the past couple days to both top brass and to their foot soldiers charged with developing talent in the minor leagues will turn around what we have all felt for a long time was a woeful situation. 

5 hours ago, theroundsquare said:

Uniwatch had a post today about the Tigers focus-grouping some throwback uniforms, including a 70s style road uniform and a 1968-style road uniform.

If they go with 68 will the sleeve number be on different sleeves like what happened back then?  Apparently there was no rhyme or reason why some players had their number on the right sleeve and others had their on the left sleeve.

Everybody had those plain block letter jerseys back in the ‘60s. Well not “everybody” but in the AL I know the Yankees and the Red Sox dId because I clearly remember those jerseys. That might’ve been it. But there was a quiet, austere dignity about them that made the statement “our flourishes are on the field, not symbolically, “and we will dispatch you quickly and efficiently.” I like the brute simplicity. But color is nice too. I really like the road uniforms they have right now. But I have nothing against some of the wild stuff the Athletics did in Oakland. 

• Like 1

I dont mind the current road uniforms, but would be thrilled to see them utilize the older styles as alternates on the road.

Unless I'm wrong, the Tigers and Yankees may be the only teams that seem to avoid alternate uniforms. I get it for the home unis, but the road design isn't iconic. Mix it up!