General Tiger Discussion

oblong

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

I bet Inge could've accomplished that feat if given the chance, atleast the 03-06 version. I think he wouldve been capable of handling short, maybe not full time but he'd be good enough to play there a couple dozen times a year. 

I think he came up as a SS. Yes during that period he could have. At least prior to Guillen. 

10 hours ago, oblong said:

I think he came up as a SS. Yes during that period he could have. At least prior to Guillen. 

Looking through his minor league stats, he was a catcher after being drafted.  But I think he was a SS at Virginia Commonwealth and the Tigers converted him to C.  Unfortunately bbref doesn't have college stats available for him to back this up.

19 hours ago, theroundsquare said:

Uniwatch had a post today about the Tigers focus-grouping some throwback uniforms, including a 70s style road uniform and a 1968-style road uniform.

I hope they don’t use this as permission to go to solid colored tops. I mean, I won’t abandon the team over it, of course, but I sure would like them to stick to whites and grays. Just personal preference.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, casimir said:

Looking through his minor league stats, he was a catcher after being drafted.  But I think he was a SS at Virginia Commonwealth and the Tigers converted him to C.  Unfortunately bbref doesn't have college stats available for him to back this up.

Baseball Cube does:

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?ID=144

They have him listed as 2B and 3B there.

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

I hope they don’t use this as permission to go to solid colored tops. I mean, I won’t abandon the team over it, of course, but I sure would like them to stick to whites and grays. Just personal preference.

if there's anything the Ilitch family has shown over their years as business owners is a love for tradition and respecting the past.... they're not the kind of people to raze an old building just to put up a parking lot to make money.  I

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, casimir said:

Forgot about the cube.  Looks like he also pitched at VCU.

Indeed he did. According to his card, it looks like he pitched 43 innings as a junior without giving up any runs, any hits, walking anyone or striking anyone out. Just all BIP outs. Talk about living on the edge … 😜

Edited by chasfh

3 hours ago, oblong said:

if there's anything the Ilitch family has shown over their years as business owners is a love for tradition and respecting the past.... they're not the kind of people to raze an old building just to put up a parking lot to make money.  I

Under the Chris Illitch regime, the D on the Tigers hat was three different sizes over three consecutive years, 2018-2020. The total cluster was the billboard sized D on the 2019 hat. 
I’m OK with the font change on the D on the home jersey chest a couple of years ago. I would prefer it were a tad smaller though.

This year several teams have introduced their “City Connect” uniforms. I haven’t seen one I like yet. The Dodgers CC uniforms are terrible in my opinion. I fear the day, and it is coming, when the Tigers roll out theirs. I’m sure it will be another dud. I would think with the word, DETROIT, across the chest you could go a long way in connecting the city with the team…but that’s just me.

i think of myself as a traditionalist but i wouldn't mind different color jerseys as long as it is strictly on the road.  i hated/still hate the change to the home jersey D a couple years ago.  The mismatching between the hat and jersey was part of the charm.  and the tigers tried to say MLB was mandating it to enforce logo uniformity. but the yankees jersey NY and hat NY still don't match

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

I was out of the mix for quite a few years before it was easy to follow the team on the Internet. Did they really have a cap with a D and a tiger crawling out of it? I’ve seen photos of either players or maybe Sparky wearing it. Was that just some stunt for spring training? 

Yes, and an orange bill.  I know I'm in the minority but i still like that logo (though I don't want them wearing it at home).  I still have my plastic tiger stadium soda cups with that logo on them

I also like his Korean Baseball experience...the acronym KBO is also Winston Churchill's favorites for different reasons.  Although if you are a guy trying to make a living as a professional baseball player and you are willing to go to Korea to keep buggering on...then you have gumption and moxie and probably wear your eye black to bed and so forth.

30 minutes ago, theroundsquare said:

Yes, and an orange bill.  I know I'm in the minority but i still like that logo (though I don't want them wearing it at home).  I still have my plastic tiger stadium soda cups with that logo on them

I'm gonna take a swing at your age here: you are between 36 and 40 years of age. If I had to settle on one number, I would guess 38.

How close am I?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, romad1 said:

The salient points...thank you Cody

Knowing he was an MLB 1st baseman does nothing for me.  Knowing that Fetter and Hinch are his coaching tree...that helps.

Here's a paragraph from the MLB.com story:

Garko joins the Tigers organization after spending the previous two seasons on the Major League coaching staff of the Los Angeles Angels, serving as a Coaching Assistant/Instant Replay Coordinator. While with the Angels, Garko focused on the integration of analytics in the clubhouse and dugout, and offensive game planning. Prior to his time with the Angels, Garko was the head coach at the University of the Pacific from 2018-19, where he saw six of his players sign professional contracts during his tenure. He also has experience managing in professional baseball, leading Double A Tulsa for parts of the 2016 and 2017 season. Garko began his coaching career in 2013 as an assistant coach at his alma mater, Stanford University.

I like his background in implementing analytics, and Stanford is a nice bonus.

It also seems to be a departure from Tiger hiring practice to get guys who have long-time experience in the discipline they are hiring for, since Garko doesn't seem to have any executive or managerial experience in player development at the pro level at all. He did have a great deal of success at the college level though—same as Chris Fetter.

I'm not at all unhappy with the hire, and am in fact intrigued. This is quickly becoming the 180 Degree Tigers.

7 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Here's a paragraph from the MLB.com story:

Garko joins the Tigers organization after spending the previous two seasons on the Major League coaching staff of the Los Angeles Angels, serving as a Coaching Assistant/Instant Replay Coordinator. While with the Angels, Garko focused on the integration of analytics in the clubhouse and dugout, and offensive game planning. Prior to his time with the Angels, Garko was the head coach at the University of the Pacific from 2018-19, where he saw six of his players sign professional contracts during his tenure. He also has experience managing in professional baseball, leading Double A Tulsa for parts of the 2016 and 2017 season. Garko began his coaching career in 2013 as an assistant coach at his alma mater, Stanford University.

I like his background in implementing analytics, and Stanford is a nice bonus.

It also seems to be a departure from Tiger hiring practice to get guys who have long-time experience in the discipline they are hiring for, since Garko doesn't seem to have any executive or managerial experience in player development at the pro level at all. He did have a great deal of success at the college level though—same as Chris Fetter.

I'm not at all unhappy with the hire, and am in fact intrigued. This is quickly becoming the 180 Degree Tigers.

Seems to be a paradigm shift for the Tigers. 40 years old. He’s worn different caps. Doesn’t give up. Major leaguer. Plays in Korea and spends his last season in the Atlantic League. Stays in baseball one way or the other. Has managed pro teams. Has seen developing talent from ground zero as a college coach. Sounds like he has the fresh eyes to see things others might not combined with analytic insight that keeps him from liking guys that merely “look like baseball players.“ This is a promising development. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, theroundsquare said:

I’ve lived in Arizona or Idaho for most of the last 50 years so it’s easier for me to be unacquainted with a lot of the stuff to which others were exposed, especially in pre-Internet times. I don’t mind that logo on all sorts of stuff but I draw the line at a cap. Just too busy. 

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I'm gonna take a swing at your age here: you are between 36 and 40 years of age. If I had to settle on one number, I would guess 38.

How close am I?

At the risk of some russians or something stealing my identity, i will reveal that, if you guessed I was 38 as the midpoint of your range, you would be off by 20%.  i was too old to attribute liking the tiger busting through the D to being a dumb kid.  maybe just a guy with bad taste 

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, theroundsquare said:

At the risk of some russians or something stealing my identity, i will reveal that, if you guessed I was 38 as the midpoint of your range, you would be off by 20%.  i was too old to attribute liking the tiger busting through the D to being a dumb kid.  maybe just a guy with bad taste 

You are capable of liking things other than when you were young, impressionable, and having things imprinted upon you. This is good. It’s commendable. But it’s too late to call off the drone strike. Leave the house for the next hour and I’ll put in a good word for you with Allstate.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2021 at 6:27 PM, RandyMarsh said:

Just an FYI we are currently projected to pick 13th in the draft. Its looking like barring a collapse by us or a team behind us like the Padres, Phillies and Reds(each have 4 less losses than us) we will be picking between 11th or 14th.

After 4 straight years of top 5 picks this is gonna feel a little strange.

Yeah...

If I start another 2022 MLB Draft thread, I don't need to put any more "GREEN'er on the TANK side" or "FUBAR for KUMAR" qualifiers on it. We've moved beyond that. Just a straight-up, boring, 2022 Draft thread. Same with 2023... we're done with that.