General Tiger Discussion

oblong

11 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Our old pal Castellanos is likely to be a free agent this year. Short term he can be the bat we need, long term he can take over for Cabrera in 2 years as the full time DH.

I would love to see Nick in a Tiger uniform again but I don’t know that he’d have any desire to come back to Detroit, all else being even. Your above comment was totally applicable two years ago as well.

17 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

it not yet established Hill can hit enough to stay on an MLB roster - or even ever stay healthy long enough hold his spot. I could see Greene being held back long enough for them to decide which of Reyes and Hill gets the 4th OF spot - or just carrying 5 OF early in the season when they might not need the extra pitcher. And of course also will no doubt depend some on what the three of them do in ST.

The health is the primary issue for Hill in my worthless opinion.  I think his defense can make up for his weak hitting.  You can mitigate both concerns by not relying on him as a full time starter, which might be best for all.

29 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Abrams is not an All-Star-level hitter. He’s not even a major leaguer. He’s a Rookie ball prospect. So that certainly doesn’t help us in 2022, almost certainly not in 2023, probably not in 2024, and maybe not even in 2025. He’s also not multiple top prospects all by himself.

That said, San Diego probably makes that trade, straight up.

Manning for Abrams would be a huge!!! win for Det.

Pipeline has Tork, Abrams and Greene, at 4, 6 and 7 overall. Baseball prospectus has Abrams at 4. Baseball America has Abrams at 5. FG has Abrams, Tork and Greene, at 3, 4 and 7 overall, but they are very down on Abrams defense.

Without the broken leg, Abrams clock would have been same as Greene and Tork, and if healthy you can still expect to see him in the majors for the second half of 2022.

30 minutes ago, casimir said:

Not even ready until 2025?  I think you might be underestimating Abrams a bit.  He was above league average at the plate (105 OPS+) despite being young (-4.0 years) in AA before an on field collision ended his season.

Huh—I don't know what I was looking at that showed Abrams only as far along as Rookie ball this year. Probably just processed it wrong.

Changed my mind, then: no way Padres deal Abrams for Mize straight up.

25 minutes ago, chasfh said:

That's fine,because thanks to the impending 14+-team playoff structure, a team won't have to get to 90 wins to make the playoffs. Eighty-five should be enough.

so I can drop $3000 every August for the chance to maybe watch a WC game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Getting burned on Fulmer would seem more of a reason to keep Mize. Seems you would to have as many good arms as possible, especially when they are on controllable rookie contracts. 

Did we get burned on Fulmer?  I’m glad he’s still on the team and suspect he might be a rotation option next season.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

it not yet established Hill can hit enough to stay on an MLB roster - or even ever stay healthy long enough hold his spot. I could see Greene being held back long enough for them to decide which of Reyes and Hill gets the 4th OF spot - or just carrying 5 OF early in the season when they might not need the extra pitcher. And of course also will no doubt depend some on what the three of them do in ST.

Assuming Reyes continues to improve, I think we have an outfield of  Baddoo-Hill-Reyes, and Grossman...with Grossman being a trade chip at next years deadline to make room for Greene

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Huh—I don't know what I was looking at that showed Abrams only as far along as Rookie ball this year. Probably just processed it wrong.

Changed my mind, then: no way Padres deal Abrams for Mize straight up.

Stuck on rookie ball stats? Looking at stats on motownsports again?  

I don't know what the Padres are looking for.  I would think they are pretty disappointed in this season and might want to shuffle things up.  They've got some bad contracts in Hosmer and Meyers and might take a cheap one with Manning to shore things up in the rotation. 

Its tough to know for sure what front offices are getting ready to do given the CBA status.

18 minutes ago, Useful Idiot said:

Assuming Reyes continues to improve, I think we have an outfield of  Baddoo-Hill-Reyes, and Grossman...with Grossman being a trade chip at next years deadline to make room for Greene

Why assume this?  He's been the same player the last few years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, casimir said:

My strategy will be cheap to implement, provide Greene with additional development time, provide an eventual exit for a veteran with $ervice time, AND provide an insurance policy policy for an apparently frail Hill. Therefore I think it will be just the formula this organization will be comfortable with...

3 hours ago, casimir said:

San Diego.  Manning for Abrams.

Yes. I have been saying this since mid year. But not Mize. Perhaps San Diego will want more so offer Alexander and ask for Kim. We get two quality middle infielders and San Diego gets two young pitchers and some salary relief that they need. I would even sweeten it with one of Reyes, Castro, Cameron or Cisnero.

Solving shortstop long term without spending huge dollars would be significant to our off season and future.  

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Along with a shit-ton of extra playoff revenue from attendance and broadcast rights

Yes, I realize it's all about money.  As someone who enjoys the regular season more than the playoffs, I don't like it.  I think it cheapens both the regular season and the playoffs. 

• Thanks 2

I agree they should keep the current format but maybe consider the wild card a two out of three series all played at the home of the team with the best record to eliminate travel time. Then make all subsequent rounds best of seven and go to a 158 game schedule to accommodate . I would also have the World Series at a neutral sight without days off so the most important games are in warm weather or under a dome and revenues split 50/50 teams and players. 

1 hour ago, Useful Idiot said:

1 hour ago, casimir said:

1 hour ago, Useful Idiot said:

My strategy will be cheap to implement, provide Greene with additional development time, provide an eventual exit for a veteran with $ervice time, AND provide an insurance policy policy for an apparently frail Hill. Therefore I think it will be just the formula this organization will be comfortable with...

But why do you assume Reyes will improve when he hasn't?  That was the question.

Just now, casimir said:

But why do you assume Reyes will improve when he hasn't?  That was the question.

I think you are (perhaps intentionally) making things more complicated than they need to be.

Look at it from all angles....if he doesn't continue to improve, then he is gone.  

Personally, I believe that his performance the past two months entitles him to the opportunity to try and stick.

47 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

I agree they should keep the current format but maybe consider the wild card a two out of three series all played at the home of the team with the best record to eliminate travel time. Then make all subsequent rounds best of seven and go to a 158 game schedule to accommodate . I would also have the World Series at a neutral sight without days off so the most important games are in warm weather or under a dome and revenues split 50/50 teams and players. 

You know what they need to fix with the playoffs?

image.png.daaaa5d63447b90024a193b97cc1d885.png

Under the current scenario, one of the Dodgers/Giants will be playing in a one game advance or fold game while Atlanta isn't forced into such a scenario.  MLB is making a team with a 17 game lead over another team in the same league play in (basically) a one game qualifier to advance to the tournament where series are played.

Not only that, but then MLB is guaranteed to have one of those teams eliminated before the NLCS because of the playoff bracket that is used.  Milwaukee is the 2 seed, Atlanta is the 3 seed.  This despite that fact that the 4 seed will have a better record (and we're not talking a game or two), this despite the fact that the 5 seed could have a better record than the 3 seed.  Its asinine to reward seeds based on geography.