General Tiger Discussion

oblong

Just now, Useful Idiot said:

Both Castros? You surprised me a little bit.

Tork and the SS replace the Castros(or goodrum) Greene replaces Reyes and if we get anther OF he replaces one of Baddoo or Hill. You keep Goodrum or one of the Castrai on as a utility/ backup.  Baddoo or Hill would be the first called back when somebody inevitably struggles or gets injured. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't both Tork and Greene exempt from rule 5 exposure? So if we move them  to the active roster, and bring in 2 new fresh veterans, we are going to be exposing 4 players...somehow, some way, to make room for them.

Personally, and I'm not criticizing your ambition, but personally I'd like to see more evidence that Tork and Greene are ready for the bigs before making such a move...

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

I definitely would like for us to add one more of bat who is more of a sure thing than what we have. I brought up Castellanos before but I concede that is highly unlikely.

Another former Tiger could be a more likely option and that's Avisail Garcia. Hes a free agent and is sporting a nice .850 OPS this season and still only 30 years old.  

Kyle Schwarber is another FA possibility, he could definitely bring the HR power that we desperately need, same with Adam Duvall.

If we were to add one of those guys, upgrade at SS and call up Greene and Tork our lineup would look a helluva lot better than it did this year. 

I don't like the defense that comes with that trio and Cabrera remains the DH next season.  I suppose there's a line of thinking that 2022 is the last season for Cabrera, the Tigers can afford one of those gloves in the OF for next season before moving them to DH.  I don't know.

In a perfect world, I'd like to see the DH alternately filled by a regular position player to get them off of their feet defensively for a semi rest day.  Maybe that's too much to ask in this day and age, but I think if a team goes with only 13 position players, it can help with rest & recovery throughout a season.

3 minutes ago, Useful Idiot said:

Personally, and I'm not criticizing your ambition, but personally I'd like to see more evidence that Tork and Greene are ready for the bigs before making such a move...

What more evidence are you looking for?  Just extended consistency on their current numbers at AAA?  I know there's been some chatter about Greene's BBs & SOs.

2 minutes ago, casimir said:

What more evidence are you looking for?  Just extended consistency on their current numbers at AAA? 

That's probably as good a way to say it as anything.   People talk about youngsters who come up too early, find themselves overmatched, and it scars their self confidence...I guess that's kind of the lines I'm thinking of

7 minutes ago, casimir said:

I don't like the defense that comes with that trio and Cabrera remains the DH next season.  I suppose there's a line of thinking that 2022 is the last season for Cabrera, the Tigers can afford one of those gloves in the OF for next season before moving them to DH.  I don't know.

In a perfect world, I'd like to see the DH alternately filled by a regular position player to get them off of their feet defensively for a semi rest day.  Maybe that's too much to ask in this day and age, but I think if a team goes with only 13 position players, it can help with rest & recovery throughout a season.

Yeah its a double edged sword, one things for sure though and that's that we need more bats that can hit consistently and unfortunately those usually come at an expense of defense which we also suck at.

You got to pick your poison and to me our best hope is to load up on bats at the expense of defense. After all when our pitchers give up hard hit balls they tend to end up over the fence anyway. 

The Giants and the Red Sox have both pulled off some NBA style trades, taking on salary and a young asset for very little in return.

The Rays have a continual 40-man roster crunch, and are going to want to get rid of Kiermaier so they can re-direct his $14.5M and play younger guys just as good. The Reds are in a bind with too many infielders making too much, Nick maybe walking, and not enough pitching. The Padres may need room to reload. And teams that don't want to go over the salary cap (whatever it will be under the new CBA) may want to dump money.

It would be nice to see Aliva do something creative, or better yet, it would be nice to see someone who is not Avila do something creative for the Tigers.

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I definitely would like for us to add one more of bat who is more of a sure thing than what we have. I brought up Castellanos before but I concede that is highly unlikely.

Another former Tiger could be a more likely option and that's Avisail Garcia. Hes a free agent and is sporting a nice .850 OPS this season and still only 30 years old.  

Kyle Schwarber is another FA possibility, he could definitely bring the HR power that we desperately need, same with Adam Duvall.

If we were to add one of those guys, upgrade at SS and call up Greene and Tork our lineup would look a helluva lot better than it did this year. 

Schwarber would be great... they really need someone who can wear out the right field porch at our cavernous park.

56 minutes ago, casimir said:

I have no interest in a bat-only OF'er, per RM's list. None whatsoever. We can add multiple bats by bringing up Tork & Greene, signing a SS and a Catcher, and replacing Castrei and Niko for 1 or 2 of Clemens, Kreidler and Paredes.

At least not until Miggy is retired and the DH spot opens up. That is not until some time later in 2022, on a guess. But not out of Spring Training.

And I agree with Casimir... I'd rather have a "Real" bench player for the IF or OF, and not a DH-only bat. Rotate guys through the DH as a half-day off rather than dump a can't-field dude in there permanently...

2 hours ago, Useful Idiot said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't both Tork and Greene exempt from rule 5 exposure? So if we move them  to the active roster, and bring in 2 new fresh veterans, we are going to be exposing 4 players...somehow, some way, to make room for them.

In Greene's case, you have a 900 OPS, a 300 BA, 20+ HR and a guy who went from AA to AAA and held or *improved* his numbers across the board. Maybe that guy isn't ready but he for sure is ready to be tested to see if he's ready. Tork did stumble a bit on his promotion in terms of bat to ball, but even then not in the power dept at all. If he plays some kind of winter ball (he and Greene maybe both to the AFL) he could be as ready as he needs to be for his 1st test as well. 

In any case, if W. Castro, and Goodrum are anywhere near the 26 man next year I will be sorely disappointed. I really don't see how you keep Greene in the minors going into next year beyond maybe those couple of weeks of service time manipulation - assuming the CBA doesn't change all that. Sure I could see him stumbling and being sent back down, but I think he's ready enough for the chance to fail.

4 hours ago, Useful Idiot said:

Name the current 4 (non-pitcher) Tigers that you are willing to cut to make that happen.

There are several on one year contracts right now who will be off the 40 after this season:

Drew Hutchinson, Ian Krol, Derek Holland, Wily Peralta, Jose Urena.

Should we be saving any 40-man spots for any of these guys?

6 hours ago, Useful Idiot said:

Name the current 4 (non-pitcher) Tigers that you are willing to cut to make that happen.

I can name about 10... but roster stuff works itself out.

There are plenty of reasons to be patient with Greene and Tork, and a new CBA may remove one or two of them, but "Don't call them up so you don't have to expose Grayson Greiner to waivers" isn't one of them.

14 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

I have no interest in a bat-only OF'er, per RM's list. None whatsoever. We can add multiple bats by bringing up Tork & Greene, signing a SS and a Catcher, and replacing Castrei and Niko for 1 or 2 of Clemens, Kreidler and Paredes.

At least not until Miggy is retired and the DH spot opens up. That is not until some time later in 2022, on a guess. But not out of Spring Training.

And I agree with Casimir... I'd rather have a "Real" bench player for the IF or OF, and not a DH-only bat. Rotate guys through the DH as a half-day off rather than dump a can't-field dude in there permanently...

Miggy's contract doesn't expire until the end of 2023.  He will be with the Tigers for a couple more years.  I don't think he's going to give up over $30 million a year to retire until then.  If he can produce about the same as he is this year they will be fine and he can still play 1B with Tork.  I can see them splitting time at 1B and DH but Miggy will be less of an everyday player like he is now.  

Cabrera has a .707 OPS this year which isn't really fine if you are trying to make a playoff run.  Everybody loves what he has done for the Tigers and some like watching him get milestones, but if they are able add some hitters and he's still playing every day in the middle of the line-up, he'll hurt the team.  

10 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Cabrera has a .707 OPS this year which isn't really fine if you are trying to make a playoff run.  Everybody loves what he has done for the Tigers and some like watching him get milestones, but if they are able add some hitters and he's still playing every day in the middle of the line-up, he'll hurt the team.  

OPS could be better but he's still able to contribute unless he totally falls off a cliff.  I that case Al and Chris will need to get creative with his contract because not too many people would throw $30 million away. I also don't think he should stay in the top of order though.  Not enough power or speed left to stay there.

Edited by Archie

3 minutes ago, Archie said:

OPS could be better but he's still able to contribute unless he totally falls off a cliff.  I that case Al and Chris will need to get creative with his contract because not too many people would throw $30 million away. I also don't think he should stay in the top of order though.  Not enough power or speed left to stay there.

They can’t do anything with his contract without approval from the Players association. He’s due that money in 2022 and 2023 value.  Any kind of buyout would have interest added which defeats the purpose.  They would just release him or not play him.  Hate to say it but the way he hamstrings the team is not his salary but his actual play. It’s fine now because they are building up.  But if you need to win games then there might be better options at the plate.  His current production is nothing remarkable. What he did in 2012 won’t help you win games in 2022. 

17 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

I will never understand how people can honestly believe that Miggy is going to simply retire early and forfeit his remaining dollars for the good of the Tiger organization. 

Edited by chasfh

58 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I will never understand how people can honestly believe that Miggy is going to simply retire early and forfeit his remaining dollars for the good of the Tiger organization. 

I think what people mean is not that Miggy is going to just retire but that the Tigers will cut him and just eat the remaining of his contract like the Angels did with Pujols. My question there is that since Cabrera's contract has provisions where it gets extended if he finishes in the top 10 in MVP is that even possible or does that not matter at all?