General Tiger Discussion

oblong

Tigers GM Al Avila on free agency: "I would caution you: This is not going to be spending like a drunken sailor. This is going to be a very measured process."

I don’t want the organization to spend like a “drunken sailor.” That’s what got them in the mess they’ve been in for several years. We’ll see how sharp Al’s acumen is for ROI going forward. I sincerely hope he is successful for everyone’s sake.

I fully expect the Tigers to compete for the playoffs beginning in spring training. It’s all yours Al. Make it happen. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, casimir said:

I think at this point, Boyd should be considered outside of the top 5 rotation slots simply because of health.

Alexander can compete for the rotation, I think he’s earned that much.

But I agree that they’ll need two quality free agent starting pitchers....

If you sign two quality starters... that's what? 3-4 years each?

Turnbull is back in 2023. I would wager that signing TWO FA starters will leave us with a WEAKER rotation in 2023 than if we just signed one. And with committed money to boot.

I have no interest in signing two MLB starters, whatsoever. Candidates for the 2023 rotation include: Mize-Manning-Skubal-Alexander-Wentz-Turnbull, and possibly even Madden and/or Faedo, as well.

That tells me I want ONE FA starter in 2022, on a short-term contract. And another 1 or 2 6th/7th starters, like a Peralta, that you stick in Toledo for... again, on 1-year contracts...

Why does everyone want to buy 2 starters? I don't get it.... it just doesn't make any sense. If we want to buy two arms, we need them so much more in the BP, which can fluctuate wildly, then on starters...

In 2023 maybe Faedo and Alexander are pushed over to the BP... who else do we still have in a 2023 BP that rocks? Soto, Fulmer, ... and?

38 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Why does everyone want to buy 2 starters? I don't get it.... it just doesn't make any sense. If we want to buy two arms, we need them so much more in the BP, which can fluctuate wildly, then on starters...

Put 2 acquired  proven starters in the rotation, and move Peralta and Alexander  into the pen,  and then move Jiminez and Garcia back to Toledo.  Then, once Boyd is rehabbed, decide who you want to start trading. 

Edited by Useful Idiot

Tigers announce all coaches will be back for 2022 with the possible exception of Kimera Bartee, who was a late season fill in at 1B after Chip Hale left to coach Arizona.  He will be part of the interviewed candidates, which is what he was told at the time.

That's a good sign.

22 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I can’t pretend to know whether Gabe Ribas is the right hire for Director of Pitching, with all the responsibilities enumerated above, but I do know that I love that the team I’ve rooted for all my life is hiring a Director of Pitching.

The podcast guys Rogellio and Chris or Cody and Kieran...can't recall were discussing that we were going to see hires with titles that wouldn't make sense to casual fans (e.g., Director of Sleep and the like.)

• Haha 1

Don't tease for months that you are spending and then come up with another Robbie Grossman/Jose Urena situation which is what Al's comments kind of felt like today.      Robbie's a nice player, but we need to aim a lot higher than that.    And this idea that Verlander will come back after 2 years and be the old Verlander is nuts.    

Edited by Motor City Sonics

I really wonder what is going to happen in San Diego.  Sounds like Machado and Tatis can't be in the same county together, but to get Machado you'd have to give up two big pieces of your future and I can't see the Tigers doing that. 

If Corey Seager re-signs with the Dodgers, what are they going to do with the Seager/Trea Turner/Gavin Lux situation?   Maybe LA is letting him walk and sticking with Lux & Turner as the DP combo, but the fans in LA love Seager.    

Plus LA has Taylor and I imagine atleast one or two highly rated middle infielders on the farm. That's just speculation on my part but it seems like they always do so I don't think I'm going out on a limb there. 

That's why I think they may be willing to let Seager walk. I know they have unlimited resources but you have to figure they can't keep everybody. Guys like Buehler and Urias are going to be getting expensive real soon, Will Smith will be getting a 10-15millon dollar raise next offseason, Turner is a FA next year and they apparently are willing to basically write Max a blank check. All this and that doesnt even factor in Cody Bellinger.

Two years ago he looked like a top 3 player in baseball but now is garbage but if he does return to form hes going to be real expensive as well.

Edited by RandyMarsh

Also if you're Seager would you rather be "the man" here and know you will be the starting SS everyday or just be another guy in LA that gets bounced all over the diamond and bench so they can play all their embarrassment of riches? 

That's not a rhetorical question cause depending on the type of player you would prefer either scenario but if he does have that alpha mentality he may prefer to play here even if the team isnt going to be a World Series favorite every year and Detroit isnt nearly of desirable location as LA.

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

The podcast guys Rogellio and Chris or Cody and Kieran...can't recall were discussing that we were going to see hires with titles that wouldn't make sense to casual fans (e.g., Director of Sleep and the like.)

Director of Sleep wouldn't make any sense to me.

Director of Biomechanics would totally make sense to me.

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

It was Turning the Corner, in part because I heard it. I stopped listening to the other one around the time the fanboy to expert ratio crept up to 2:1.