General Tiger Discussion

oblong

37 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Cabrera was productive for 4 of 6 months this season, and they don't have other bats that can't field vying for the DH spot so I don't see Cabrera as an immediate issue. Paredes is going to be in Toledo trying to figure out how to hit the ball hard and fair at the same time,  W. Castro and Niko will be gone or on the bench so 2b will be open for Schoop leaving 1B open for Torkelson - who can give Candelario a few more days off than he got this year if Cabrera still gets a few games at 1B. It's catcher and short they have to worry about. Barring injuries I don't see big positional battles/issues anywhere else. 

The question is not about Cabrera's roster spot over the next two seasons.  The question is when does he get lowered in the lineup?

2 hours ago, casimir said:

The question is not about Cabrera's roster spot over the next two seasons.  The question is when does he get lowered in the lineup?

As long as he can produce 75 RBI in 130 games we don't have to worry too much about where he hits. Of course the time will come that will surely change. But it should be a natural shift if Greene (likley 3 hitter) and Torkelson (likely 4 hitter) both slot high in the order. In a lineup that has Schoop, Torkelson, Grossman, Greene, the two SH (Grossman and Candelario) and Baddoo leading off for speed, Cabrera naturally falls to at least 5 but more likely 6 or 7. But if or as long as we have the Groodrums and Castros in the lineup Miggy is gonna be 3 or 4.

Edited by gehringer_2

26 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Cabrera has a .386 slugging percentage.  His RBI total is purely a function of opportunity.  If his name was anything other than "Miguel Cabrera", he would not get that opportunity.    

actually his OPB and OPS were 85 points better with men on base this season. I don't think Miguel's apparent increase in concentration level with men on base is a mirage.

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

actually his OPB and OPS were 85 points better with men on base this season. I don't think Miguel's apparent increase in concentration level with men on base is a mirage.

I just looked at his historical stats and you do have a point.  Over the last five years, he has consistently hit much better with runners on base.  So, here's the solution:  make him a pinch hitter who bats once a game always in a key spot.  Yeah, I know he needs to have three crappy at bats to keep his mind in the game for his one good at bat!  

• Like 1

Wonder if his better stats has anything to do with defensive positioning with guys on vs no guys on?  Just spitballing.  I haven’t looked it up but they play him pretty far back with nobody on at the games I go to, where I get a full view of the infield from above. They know they can throw him out on anything.  Maybe his approach changes with nobody on.  Crush it for a HR or a double rather than just contact.  He’s in danger of one day getting thrown out at 1B from the outfield. 

3 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

As long as he can produce 75 RBI in 130 games we don't have to worry too much about where he hits. Of course the time will come that will surely change. But it should be a natural shift if Greene (likley 3 hitter) and Torkelson (likely 4 hitter) both slot high in the order. In a lineup that has Schoop, Torkelson, Grossman, Greene, the two SH (Grossman and Candelario) and Baddoo leading off for speed, Cabrera naturally falls to at least 5 but more likely 6 or 7. But if or as long as we have the Groodrums and Castros in the lineup Miggy is gonna be 3 or 4.

Barring a big FA hitter signing, I could see Grossman-Candy-Greene-Tork-Miggy.

I’m leaning toward Baddoo takes a step back in spring.

9 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I've been waiting all year for him to hit the wall, but the kid has been amazingly steady and is finishing well. I'm almost convinced he is the real deal.

I agree, he seems to be a smart guy with easy 20/20 abilities.  I don't expect the throwing to improve but hitting against lefthanders will.

16 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I've been waiting all year for him to hit the wall, but the kid has been amazingly steady and is finishing well. I'm almost convinced he is the real deal.

He has a humongous platoon split which makes that a bit of a problem. He hits southpaws like a decent-hitting pitcher hits. I’d afraid that might infect the rest of his batting game.

47 minutes ago, chasfh said:

He has a humongous platoon split which makes that a bit of a problem. He hits southpaws like a decent-hitting pitcher hits. I’d afraid that might infect the rest of his batting game.

I think he will be platooned next year, which will negate that.

I believe this year they were testing him as much as possible so that meant PA's against lefties. If he doesn't improve on that next year, significantly, Hinch will bench him against lefties. Just my 'pinion...

4 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I think he will be platooned next year, which will negate that.

I believe this year they were testing him as much as possible so that meant PA's against lefties. If he doesn't improve on that next year, significantly, Hinch will bench him against lefties. Just my 'pinion...

Assuming I guess Haase doesn’t turn into a pumpkin next year.

11 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Haase is already pretty much a butternut squash at best. 

I've been more defensive of Haase than most around here, but if they do see themselves on the periphery of competition, they'll need to add another catcher to the mix. The last 45 days were rough for Haase

After reading this, I am trying to figure out what the consensus about this team is.

We started 4- 29 and still finished with 77 wins. If we had broke even on the first 34 games we would have won 90 games. Getting to the playoffs is the minimal 2022 objective in my mind.

Barring ridiculous notions about trading cheap and good cost controlled pitching here is what I see:

1) We need a quality short stop that can be both solid defensively and offensively. Correa fills the bill.

2) We need to obtain one solid veteran starting pitcher -- near ace quality.

3). We need a catcher.

Any other adds should depend on the state of the club in July. There are also some folks in the minors that might be tradable, if the right offer is made. Is this a reasonable summary of what we need in the offseason?

Edited by HeyAbbott
Puncuation

Basic agreement, with a few thoughts. I want them to spend the money needed to get a very good SS player, as is always the case, you can’t always get who want (but if you try sometimes, you get what you need) so maybe not Correa. And a solid starter would be great, don’t think it needs to be a near ace level one. A catcher, sure, I would also add some other pitching depth, knowing BP arms are fickle. 

I tend to think the Dodgers re-sign Seager. Why would a team with that kind of money let him walk?

Baez might be too much a head case for the Tigers' style

Story's splits away from Coors are frightening.

Correa remains the best fit and the connection to Hinch gives the Tigers at least a strong introduction to start talking. He will be hugely expensive but he is still young enough that a 10 year deal is not totally ridiculous. Your SS is your team's cornerstone. If you are going to spend money that is the place it is most worthwhile to spend it on a difference maker. If the Tigers are willing to make that move expect it early. I think the Ilitch MO is to make your pitch early and move on you can't close an early deal. I doubt they allow themselves to get pulled into a bidding war.

Edited by gehringer_2

I think the best thing about this season is we now have the beginning of a core of players that we can rely on AND another group that have a good probability of contributing positively in some manner. Mize,Scubal, Candy, Grossman, Schoop, Soto, Fulmer are all solid in their roles. Badoo, Manning, Cisnero, Riley Greene, Torkelson, Haase, Alexander could all play significant roles in 2022 in full or part time basis. Turnball and Rogers in 2023. And we have a great manager and staff. That's a solid foundation going forward. Now it's up to Uncle Al and Uncle Mike to make good decisions and spend $$$ this off season. If they do we will contend for the post season in 2022. 

2 hours ago, HeyAbbott said:

After reading this, I am trying to figure out what the consensus about this team is.

We started 4- 29 and still finished with 77 wins. If we had broke even on the first 34 games we would have won 90 games. Getting to the playoffs is the minimal 2022 objective in my mind.

A great surprising turnaround but not QUITE that dramatic. Started 9-24 not 4-29. Played 85-win pace the final 129 games of the season. Yes, I agree the playoffs should be 2022 objective. 

The Lolich/Freehan battery holds the most games started in MLB at 324. With Wainwright and Molina signing on for one more year there is a good chance that the record might be broken. I believe the Wainwright/Molina combination is 304-305? I know they were at 300 the first week of September. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, 1776 said:

The Lolich/Freehan battery holds the most games started in MLB at 324. With Wainwright and Molina signing on for one more year there is a good chance that the record might be broken. I believe the Wainwright/Molina combination is 304-305? I know they were at 300 the first week of September. 

I didn't know that about Lolich/Freehan.  Thanks for that.  

14 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Haase is already pretty much a butternut squash at best. 

I guess there’s a reason he was a four-year rookie this year.

I hope he savored every moment of this season. If he can turn a phrase, maybe he can write an inspiration book about it.