General Tiger Discussion

oblong

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Don't tease for months that you are spending and then come up with another Robbie Grossman/Jose Urena situation which is what Al's comments kind of felt like today.      Robbie's a nice player, but we need to aim a lot higher than that. 

Al's portrayal of the  Robbie Grossman signing being a "big splash" was discomforting

34 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I don't plan on watching the whole conference, what did he say in that regard?

Paraphrasing, but he basically said that he's very sensitive to the idea of trading top prospects or guys he views as long term cornerstones at this juncture.

Every player has a price of course, but if a top prospect or a new graduate like Mize ends up traded, based on what I took from his comment, its because someone else paid up. I dont think he's gonna actively look to add with those pieces 

Edited by mtutiger
  • Thanks 1

the part about the coaches all being back...aren't they hot commodities?  George Lombard we hear is a manager candidate.  I would doubt Fetter would leave for a better job because this has got to be an exciting place to be right now.  Hopefully they give him a dumptruck full of cash to stay for a while.

5 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

If you sign two quality starters... that's what? 3-4 years each?

Turnbull is back in 2023. I would wager that signing TWO FA starters will leave us with a WEAKER rotation in 2023 than if we just signed one. And with committed money to boot.

I have no interest in signing two MLB starters, whatsoever. Candidates for the 2023 rotation include: Mize-Manning-Skubal-Alexander-Wentz-Turnbull, and possibly even Madden and/or Faedo, as well.

That tells me I want ONE FA starter in 2022, on a short-term contract. And another 1 or 2 6th/7th starters, like a Peralta, that you stick in Toledo for... again, on 1-year contracts...

Why does everyone want to buy 2 starters? I don't get it.... it just doesn't make any sense. If we want to buy two arms, we need them so much more in the BP, which can fluctuate wildly, then on starters...

In 2023 maybe Faedo and Alexander are pushed over to the BP... who else do we still have in a 2023 BP that rocks? Soto, Fulmer, ... and?

I can't believe anyone is complaining about a surplus of pitching (which the Tigers ain't close to).  If it happens, trade some!  When has there never been a market for pitching?

21 minutes ago, romad1 said:

the part about the coaches all being back...aren't they hot commodities?  George Lombard we hear is a manager candidate.  I would doubt Fetter would leave for a better job because this has got to be an exciting place to be right now.  Hopefully they give him a dumptruck full of cash to stay for a while.

Wasn't Fetter rumored to be interested only in the Tigers to begin with?  Certainly things can change over time, but I thought his preference was the Tigers or remain at Michigan?

So, they don't expect to make changes in the outfield, Soto is set as closer, they expect Willi C to develop power as he gets stronger, Schoop and Cabrera will continue to share first base......sounds like they are pretty content

Maybe a shortstop, maybe a starting pitcher....maybe a catcher....

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Director of Sleep wouldn't make any sense to me.

Director of Biomechanics would totally make sense to me.

I remember reading  Bill James a long time ago write about studying the career of Stan Musial and trying to figure out one stretch of really bad home games. Couldn’t determine why.  Later he had the chance to ask him about it and Stan said “that’s when one of my kids was just born and he wouldn’t sleep.  I was so tired when we were home. Got no rest”. 

2 minutes ago, Useful Idiot said:

So, they don't expect to make changes in the outfield, Soto is set as closer, they expect Willi C to develop power as he gets stronger, Schoop and Cabrera will continue to share first base......sounds like they are pretty content

Maybe a shortstop, maybe a starting pitcher....maybe a catcher....

I think it was 'expect Willi Castro to get cut.' 'Hasn't put it together' being the operative part of the quote!

4 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think it was 'expect Willi Castro to get cut.' 'Hasn't put it together' being the operative part of the quote!

Perhaps you are right, they did concede that he had disappointed. But their optimism that he will grow stronger makes me fear that they remain optimistic

4 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

You can never ever have too much pitching.  

Agreed, plus to me it just seem like betting that Mize, Skubal, and Manning will all continue an upward arc to unfettered success ....is kinda long odds. It will be great if it happens, but have a solid contingency in place, in case there is a bump in the road.

I believe AJ was the one promoting Grossman as big splash. 

Avila is all about being noncommittal on practically anything. I get it to a point and I know he’s not expected to show his cards…but he goes so far out of his way to be somewhat evasive that he looks uncomfortable at times. I actually like what he did say and imply, they’re going to be selective in their process. I hope they succeed. 

AA would never ever pass for a motivational speaker.

The clip is worth a listen. 

Sounds like they are downplaying their interest in the big name shortstops in hopes of not contributing to the escalation of the bidding. Too many writers have Correa already here implying the Tigers will play "what it takes". Al want to pour cold water on that. But maybe I give him too much credit.

I think its smart to tell fans to temper FA expectations, particularly when teams like the Yankees and Dodgers are rumored to be in on the same guys you may be.

I mean if you say that you're going to do whatever it takes to get one of the top guys and it turns out say the Yankees make some ridiculous offer that is 100 million more than you were expecting it to cost you now painted yourself into a corner.

Do you reneg on your promise and alienate your fanbase or do you bite the bullet and outbid that even though it makes no sense financially?

Edited by RandyMarsh