General Tiger Discussion

oblong

8 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I don't see any scenario where Correa doesnt atleast get what Machado got a couple years which was 10/300 but more than likely its going to take what Lindor got of 10/340.

Guys like him that play premium defense at a premium position, have a plus bat and are still young enough to be great for many more years simply dont come on the market all that often.

He is one of the most attractive free agents in a long time.  Teams won't be afraid to shell out big bucks.  

As to whether he is worth it or if we would be better served spreading that 30-35mm a year out between multiple players is the big question.

Personally I think if he plays 150+ games he will net us atleast an extra 5 or 6 games,  maybe even more if you factor in the residual benefits he may provide to the pitchers so in my mind he would totally be worth it.

8 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Correa has only played more than 110 games in a season twice.  I would be worried about that.

Yes that is the big concern and perhaps red flag for some teams. I don't know his exact injury history nor the medical know how to determine whether the injuries are the type that could be repeatable or make him more susceptible to injuries going forward or if they were just flukey injuries like getting hit by a pitch or something like that. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

17 minutes ago, Archie said:

Based on some of the decisions they have made the last five years, their hiring requirements could be quite low. Most anyone who posts here would be an improvement.

Put your money where your mouth is and apply. Let us know how it goes.

I will say I have had one member of the front office reach out to me and tell me I know my stuff and I still don't feel qualified for any of the positions posted despite a somewhat working knowledge of the computer tools, biomechanics, analytics, etc.

But seriously, put your theory to the test and apply.

2 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Put your money where your mouth is and apply. Let us know how it goes.

I will say I have had one member of the front office reach out to me and tell me I know my stuff and I still don't feel qualified for any of the positions posted despite a somewhat working knowledge of the computer tools, biomechanics, analytics, etc.

But seriously, put your theory to the test and apply.

The requirement or desired qual to be solid in 'R' is a significant differentiator.   Hiring against that req has been hard in my line of work. 

Their hiring requirements seem quite high to me.  I have been working in statistical programming and analysis for about 30 years and I feel like I barely qualify for some of the analytical positions.  The requirements change too as new tools become available.   For example, I don't do machine learning on my job.  I've played around with it, but I haven't done enough of it to claim I am proficient.  

5 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Their hiring requirements seem quite high to me.  I have been working in statistical programming and analysis for about 30 years and I feel like I barely qualify for some of the analytical positions.  The requirements change too as new tools become available.   For example, I don't do machine learning on my job.  I've played around with it, but I haven't done enough of it to claim I am proficient.  

The req itself indicates someone isn't just waving their hand asking for magic to happen.  Someone in the chain of hiring has an idea at least of what is required.  Interesting how far they have come in 5 years. 

Every company makes decisions which don't look good from the outside.  That doesn't mean anyone can qualify for jobs at these companies.  The people that make the ultimate decisions sometimes do things for different reasons than those on the outside think.  They even sometimes make decisions that are different than analysts and scientists within the company would make.      

Just now, Tiger337 said:

Every company makes decisions which don't look good from the outside.  That doesn't mean anyone can qualify for jobs at these companies.  The people that make the ultimate decisions sometimes do things for different reasons than those on the outside think.  They even sometimes make decisions that are different than analysts and scientists within the company would make.      

You apply decision science to things and then the people in power dork it up....is that what you are saying? 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Maybe. Has Perlata shot a guy to death yet?

Nothing like that has happened in the Tigers organization for a while.  There was that situation in Toledo involving a suspicious death, large gambling debts and connections to the Adduci family, but Toledo law enforcement claimed it was a coincidence.  

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, romad1 said:

The requirement or desired qual to be solid in 'R' is a significant differentiator.   Hiring against that req has been hard in my line of work. 

I've heard that the reliance in baseball on R is an accident of history. The first analyst to deep dive databases used it, so everybody else does.

15 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

I've heard that the reliance in baseball on R is an accident of history. The first analyst to deep dive databases used it, so everybody else does.

Does not surprise.  My gut reaction to anything like this is that the monks in their data monastery or the data guild workers who control an industry need to throw up barriers to the peasants to make their career field more lucrative. 

OTOH, i don't how R works.  More power to them if they can create value with it. 

6 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Did JaCoby Jones declaring free agency on Wednesday make this thread?

He did.

I wondered about that.  I saw some note about it on twitter but no link.  Is clear he has no future in the Tiger org so long as AJ Hinch draws breath. 

2 hours ago, romad1 said:

I wondered about that.  I saw some note about it on twitter but no link.  Is clear he has no future in the Tiger org so long as AJ Hinch draws breath. 

Since he hardly played the last month in Toledo it was clear he had no future with the organization.  Hinch must of seen something or something happened they didn't like that they dropped Jones quick and didn't even think he would be worth trying to improve.

I don't think there is anything personnel or subtle in Jones' case. He's a liability with the bat to the point were there were too many OF in front of him and too little belief in the org that anything would change that for there to be any point to him staying. He was just good enough at his best to get some MLB time with a very bad team.