General Tiger Discussion

oblong

My favorite comments came from Hinch between 7:00 to 7:40. He's talking about improvements this year and wraps it up by saying players will be going into next year with a completely different mind set.

Now everyone is on the same page. They have bought into the program. They have seen the improvements and can continue to build on that experience. I think everyone saw how a switch was flipped after April for this team. Now the switch will remain on going into 2022 and that's pretty exciting to me.

I think will see a big difference from spring of 2021 to spring of 2022. Hinch talks a lot about winning the day and using pressure on himself, on his team and on the opponent. There's always room for improvement from everyone in the organization.

11 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Can you elaborate?

I enjoyed it as well, just curious your takeaways

Avila talking about the player development overhaul saying they need to bring in people who can teach how to teach using the new equipment. Player development is the key and they have moved to the upper echelon.

Plus anytime Hinch speaks you know the team is in good hand.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think it was 'expect Willi Castro to get cut.' 'Hasn't put it together' being the operative part of the quote!

12 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Al's body language with that comment wasn't great for Willi going forward, no doubt

I'm going to guess that CastroW's exit interview wasn't exactly rainbows & unicorns.  Perhaps some advise about making his housing choices for next season be fluid as well.

In hindsight it would have been nice for some of Willies Castros playing time to have gone to Parades so we would have a better idea if he can make it or not. Willie got way way too much run getting the 5th most Ab's on the team, 413, to Parades 72.But at least we know for certain to move on from him.

17 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

In hindsight it would have been nice for some of Willies Castros playing time to have gone to Parades so we would have a better idea if he can make it or not. Willie got way way too much run getting the 5th most Ab's on the team, 413, to Parades 72.But at least we know for certain to move on from him.

Just in the little time he was finally here - I think Paredes' critics have a point - his hitting needs work, the kind of work that probably can't be done while playing in the majors. But he seems a guy caught in that no-mans land where there is not enough failure pressure below the majors (e.g. winter league batting crown) to push him where he needs to be but where he is isn't going to play in the majors. He's needs to make a swing/timing change that gets him back into fair territory when he turns on a ball. He won't make when only 20% of the balls he barrels up stay between the white lines

Edited by gehringer_2

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

Just in the little time he was finally here - I think Paredes' critics have a point - his hitting needs work, the kind of work that probably can't be done while playing in the majors. But he seems a guy caught in that no-mans land where there is not enough failure pressure below the majors (e.g. winter league batting crown) to push him where he needs to be but where he is isn't going to play in the majors. He's needs to make a swing/timing change that gets him back into fair territory when the turns on a ball. He won't make when only 20% of the balls he barrels up stay between the white lines

I guess your right. They probably made that decision quickly. They have the scouts eye that you have and I don't. I probably got tired of so many missed double plays with W.C. I was anxious to move on. It just seems parades knows the strike zone and that should lead to some success but it clearly has not.

16 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

I guess your right. They probably made that decision quickly. They have the scouts eye that you have and I don't. I probably got tired of so many missed double plays with W.C. I was anxious to move on. It just seems parades knows the strike zone and that should lead to some success but it clearly has not.

Yeah - I like Paredes as a ball player. He seems to have all the natural instincts for the game a W. Castro doesn't. But like everyone else on an MLB roster, he's got to get his hitting past the entry bar.

16 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I think its smart to tell fans to temper FA expectations, particularly when teams like the Yankees and Dodgers are rumored to be in on the same guys you may be.

I mean if you say that you're going to do whatever it takes to get one of the top guys and it turns out say the Yankees make some ridiculous offer that is 100 million more than you were expecting it to cost you now painted yourself into a corner.

Do you reneg on your promise and alienate your fanbase or do you bite the bullet and outbid that even though it makes no sense financially?

DD: "We are always exploring ways to improve our ball club, but we are are happy with our ballclub and we don't expect to make any more moves."

Two days later"  DD makes big free agent signing.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

DD: "We are always exploring ways to improve our ball club, but we are are happy with our ballclub and we don't expect to make any more moves."

Two days later:  DD makes big free agent signing.  

That was always fun... and interesting...!

Meaning: it held our interest, every single minute of his management...

Edited by 1984Echoes

13 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

I've seen him penciled into next year's rotation a couple times, but you all know Peralta is a free agent right?

It may be an assumption that may not find a better opportunity elsewhere? 

Either way, he did a really good job eating innings and was invaluable down the stretch, but he's still more of a mop up/spot starter type, not rotation 

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

I've seen him penciled into next year's rotation a couple times, but you all know Peralta is a free agent right?

yes, but assumption is that he has found something that works and would want to stay. he made $1.5M* so makes sense to have him stick around for $3M. good for him if he can get more elsewhere.

*Urena got $3.25M and Tehern $3M

• Thanks 1

Tehran was bust and Urena had a few good moments. Some of his wins came because Tigers scored runs not because he pitched great.  Although one game he got the win Tigers had like 5 errors.

Peralta did better than most thought he would.  If he returns I would keep expectations low.  I don't think he's the Tier 1 starter they are talking about. He could provide long relief and an occasional start.

On Trade Rumors there is an article about Houston wanting to resign Correa.  It said last year they tried to extend him for around 5yr/125mm.  They thought signing Correa would be the biggest financial commitment in franchise history.  If all of the is true I don't see the Tigers coming up with enough money to sign him when they have other needs too.  Al must be trying to let us down easy with his drunken sailor comment.

Edited by Archie

8 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

if you add in Holland, Erasmo Ramirez, Nunez, Mazara, and Ramos, Avila spent about $15M on non-Grossman/Schoop free agents.

probably would have been better off signing 1-2 players who can actually impact the team.

not sure how much Krol, Hutchinson or Garneau made.

I think part of the issue with signing multiple players for $15M rather than 1 or 2 for $15M is that they were trying to fill more holes going into 2021 with little in the way of winning (ROI).

The math is different for 2022 with Torkleson and Greene close to the majors and Mize and Skubal having shown they belong and the out of nowhere with Baddoo.

Much was made of the presser the other day and making a splash or whatever.  I think they got very good bang for the buck out of Grossman (2/$10M).  I’d like to see more acquisitions like that.  It wasn’t a headliner kind of deal, but so what?  For $5M the Tigers got 2.8 WAR out of Grossman.  Resigning MartinezV was a headliner and his WAR per season was -1.8, 1.5, -0.5, and -1.3.

I don't see any scenario where Correa doesnt atleast get what Machado got a couple years which was 10/300 but more than likely its going to take what Lindor got of 10/340.

Guys like him that play premium defense at a premium position, have a plus bat and are still young enough to be great for many more years simply dont come on the market all that often.