General Tiger Discussion

oblong

Jones had that good few month stretch back in 2018 I believe where he looked like he could be a piece going forward, iirc he was at an 800-850 OPS over a couple hundred AB stretch but then he got hurt again and never came close to those numbers after that. 

Another thing about him is that he was older than some people thought, or atleast I thought anyway. It took him so long to get called up that you didn't realize he was already 26 or 27 at that point. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I don't think there is anything personnel or subtle in Jones' case. He's a liability with the bat to the point were there were too many OF in front of him and too little belief in the org that anything would change that for there to be any point to him staying. He was just good enough at his best to get some MLB time with a very bad team.

Right. He's a career .215/.275/.371 hitter in 1195 career PA.

7 hours ago, Edman85 said:

I've heard that the reliance in baseball on R is an accident of history. The first analyst to deep dive databases used it, so everybody else does.

I don't like R.  I use it sometimes because it does some things other languages don't do well.  However, I think it's unnecessarily complex for performing simple tasks.  

6 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I don't like R.  I use it sometimes because it does some things other languages don't do well.  However, I think it's unnecessarily complex for performing simple tasks.  

Dad joke: i’ll bet pittsburg uses it…except that org is notorious for being bad

• Haha 1

so there is story at MLB.com about Verdugo wanting to try relief pitching  as a two way player next season. Boston is pretty cool to the idea but the interesting thing to me was that Verdugo was talking about the repertoire he used to throw, in high school, which was 2014, and he said he doubted his curve could be as good again as it was without the sticky stuff. That is, as a HS school pitcher in 2014, Verdugo was using stickem. 

https://www.mlb.com/news/alex-verdugo-wants-to-pitch-for-red-sox

Edited by gehringer_2

2 hours ago, romad1 said:

Dad joke: i’ll bet pittsburg uses it…except that org is notorious for being bad

One of the other coaches on my daughter's softball team apparently grew up working for the Pirates during the Leyland years.  Says they continue to have a reputation for deliberate stupidity since that time. 

30 minutes ago, romad1 said:

One of the other coaches on my daughter's softball team apparently grew up working for the Pirates during the Leyland years.  Says they continue to have a reputation for deliberate stupidity since that time. 

Syd Thrift, Dave Littlefield, Neal Huntington….actually anyone since John Galbreath sold the team. 

5 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Fangraphs home page has a link to like 5 different Tigers openings in their analytics department. 

Wonder if that represents new positions or openings from people leaving?  Hopefully the former and a result of the recent promotions and a new direction 

Here's your list of minor league free agents, who are eligible.

Jose Appleton
Juan Centeno
Cale Coshow
Isrreal De La Cruz
Yariel Gonzalez
Carlos Guzman
Wilkel Hernandez
Xavier Javier
A.J. Ladwig
Mark Leiter Jr.
Josh Lester
Henry Martinez
Gerson Moreno
Pedro Payano
Franklin Perez
Ricardo Pinto
Wladimir Pinto
Aderlin Rodriguez
Elvin Rodriguez
Jesus Rodriguez
Zac Shepherd
Gresuan Silverio
Locke St. John
Christin Stewart
Christhian Tortosa
Drew Ward

It is possible that the Tigers have worked out non-public extensions with some of these guys. For anybody you want to keep that you don't have signed to a minor league extension, you can add the 40 man roster before they declare free agency five days after the World Series ends. Many players on the 40-man roster currently would also be free agents if they are outrighted. This is an exclusive list, not to say that all these guys are candidates, but it is difficult to draw the line.

Tyler Alexander
Matthew Boyd
Daz Cameron
Jeimer Candelario
Harold Castro
Willi Castro
Jose Cisnero
Miguel Del Pozo
Michael Fulmer
Rony Garcia
Dustin Garneau
Niko Goodrum
Grayson Greiner
Eric Haase
Derek Hill
Drew Hutchison
Joe Jimenez
Ian Krol
Isaac Paredes
Victor Reyes
Gregory Soto
Spencer Turnbull

47 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

The Tigers re-upped with Bally Sports going forward.

I wonder if they got the payday they hoped for. I know they were exploring an RSN, but RSN's have kinda taken a dive with cord cutting the past few years.

Sadly, I can’t help but think that Shep will be back in the driver’s seat for yet another season of calling Tigers games in 2022. 🤨 What I wouldn’t give for a better baseball PxP man (and supporting cast, save for Peaches and an occasional Gibby appearance). 

Edited by TheWordIsBird

Aside from getting rid of Shep what I wouldn't give to get rid of that stupid pick to stick game they play. If they want to do that privately or even just in the pre and post show fine go ahead since I rarely watch them anyway but I don't need to see and hear them talk about it throughout the game. 

9 minutes ago, TheWordIsBird said:

Sadly, I can’t help but think that Shep will be back in the driver’s seat for yet another season of calling Tigers games in 2022. 🤨 What I wouldn’t give for a better baseball PxP man (and supporting cast, save for Peaches and an occasional Gibby appearance). 

The playoffs have been pretty enlightening in terms of how far behind the local broadcast is PBP wise.

Brian Anderson and Don Orsillo are just lightyears better than ol' Shep.... and even the non-Buck Fox folks aren't too bad either.

Edited by mtutiger

44 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The playoffs have been pretty enlightening in terms of how far behind the local broadcast is PBP wise.

Brian Anderson and Don Orsillo are just lightyears better than ol' Shep.... and even the non-Buck Fox folks aren't too bad either.

Obviously the creme de la creme get picked for playoffs... or I should say the available creme de la creme.

I stumbed across some Orioles games this year, and they have their own version of Shep.