General Tiger Discussion

oblong

42 minutes ago, oblong said:

Hasse can provide value in a utility role.  Backup C, spot outfielder, PH... I think passable ability to play multiple positions can help a good team.

Haase appears to be one of those guys who, if you give him 250 at bats throughout a season, you can get a lot of value from him, but if you make him an everyday player, you consistently see all the things he can't do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, HeyAbbott said:

1) We need a quality short stop that can be both solid defensively and offensively. 

2) We need to obtain one solid veteran starting pitcher -- near ace quality.

3). We need a catcher.

Any other adds should depend on the state of the club in July. There are also some folks in the minors that might be tradable, if the right offer is made. Is this a reasonable summary of what we need in the offseason?

FWIW, I think you have nailed it.  I wouldn't mind seeing a little "tune up" in mid relief as well ...a couple of our go-to guys that  we now use.... drive me insane

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

I guess there’s a reason he was a four-year rookie this year.

I hope he savored every moment of this season. If he can turn a phrase, maybe he can write an inspiration book about it.

He won't hit enough to be a reguIar, but I think the power is for real.  He can probably be a decent backup catcher for a couple of years.  

16 hours ago, HeyAbbott said:

1) We need a quality short stop that can be both solid defensively and offensively. Correa fills the bill.

2) We need to obtain one solid veteran starting pitcher -- near ace quality.

3). We need a catcher.

This is exactly what they need and number three only needs to be a stop gap defense first catcher.  The question is whether they will be willing to spend enough to get both (1) and (2).  

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Haase appears to be one of those guys who, if you give him 250 at bats throughout a season, you can get a lot of value from him, but if you make him an everyday player, you consistently see all the things he can't do.

agreed.... like you said, there's a reason he's still a rookie.

2 hours ago, Useful Idiot said:

FWIW, I think you have nailed it.  I wouldn't mind seeing a little "tune up" in mid relief as well ...a couple of our go-to guys that  we now use.... drive me insane

Thanks. One thing that struck me in reading this thread is that there did seem to be consensus with what the team need to add or change. That is an indicator that this is a better team than years past when it was the case that everything needed to change and there was little agreement on what to do first.

For me, I hope we sort out SS first. That will help to determine a number of other steps.

2 hours ago, Useful Idiot said:

Yep, seems pretty spot on - and we have all heard about the org looking to improve. IMHO, RP's seem so volatile, one year to the next, it might not be wise to spend too much on any - yet, during the season IF things are going well, can always look into.

The other thing that is Very important is depth. As mentioned before, gone may be the days of 7-8 position players playing 150 games. Same with SPs, 3-4 going 200 IP. Every team needs to be 2 players deep per say at each position. Some able to play several positions. The IL list the last few seasons shows this and to expect that to change - well... The mix and match of quality UT/starter types. Even if we get a SS, we will need a player or two that can play 30-40 games there (ex Kreidler, Niko, Harold, etc. combo). Same player(s) may be at multi positions. It is now a 40 man go to roster. Teams know this. There could be CBA influence as well ex 27 man rosters? etc.

Perhaps the Tigs may be in the market for previously mentioned names here like a C TBarnhart, etc. Also, one year re-establish value types MConforto - but they may wait to see who is available after priority shopping (SS & SP) for that particular type. They may actually be able to package a couple younger players (not the core types) and get a need. It should be an interesting off season!

21 minutes ago, HeyAbbott said:

Thanks. One thing that struck me in reading this thread is that there did seem to be consensus with what the team need to add or change.

Different fans get different ideas how to fix what's broken, and often a zero sum game unfolds where one fan's preferred solution precludes those of the others. I think that's where some of the snark we see here originates.

I believe the real consensus here is that patience only goes so far, and now the pressing priority is results.

Which is going to be tempered by the organization's sincerity regarding it's willingness to spend.

18 minutes ago, alex said:

, RP's seem so volatile, one year to the next, it might not be wise to spend too much on any - yet, during the season IF things are going well, can always look into.

I think if I had my preference, we'd sign two quality FA starters, and move Alexander and Boyd (yes, I said Boyd) into the pen to replace two obvious sore spots. See if/how Boyd recovers in limited duty.  

31 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Not sure where to put this but this is the first time since 2013 where league strikeout totals went down so perhaps the sticky stuff ban had its desired effect.

A stat that I'm sure exists somewhere but I don't know where is what is the league-wide rate for getting in a runner from 3rd with less than outs, compared to last year, 10 years ago? Even with lower strikeout totals, I've never felt less confident when watching any game - not just the Tigers - about a 1 out runner at the corners situation resulting in at least a run.

I have absolutely zero expectations for Hasse going forward,  he was a great 2 month story where he regularly destroy mistake pitches but once he started getting fewer and fewer of those abs his HR/fb ratio started to normalize his true colors came out and they arent good. 

That's one of the reasons that Im pining for another power bat cause I know his 20 some HRs he hit this year is likely not going to repeat itself so we're gonna have to find a way to make up for that loss of production next season. 

Love this hype video

My favorite moments personally...

1. 500 for Miggy.  I had been on "stop everything he is batting" mode for a while before it finally came in Toronto

2. Miggy bloop that scores Schoop on the summer celebration double header second game.  Crowd when the ball drops and he rounds 3rd is electric.

3. Waking up to find out Turnbull pitched a no-no

4. Akil Badoo's early season walk-off single

46 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I have absolutely zero expectations for Hasse going forward,  he was a great 2 month story where he regularly destroy mistake pitches but once he started getting fewer and fewer of those abs his HR/fb ratio started to normalize his true colors came out and they arent good. 

That's one of the reasons that Im pining for another power bat cause I know his 20 some HRs he hit this year is likely not going to repeat itself so we're gonna have to find a way to make up for that loss of production next season. 

Yup - Haase's long term OPS isn't going to be any better than Greiner's, but you'll get a few more HR and he runs better. If they get really, really lucky with Dingler, he might rate a call-up sometime mid-season, but that would be pure luck - he's as like not to hit a wall somewhere on the way up. Bottom line I don't see any alternative to but find a catcher by trade or FA, and they will have to do a lot better than Ramos this time.

4 hours ago, Useful Idiot said:

I think if I had my preference, we'd sign two quality FA starters, and move Alexander and Boyd (yes, I said Boyd) into the pen to replace two obvious sore spots. See if/how Boyd recovers in limited duty.  

I think at this point, Boyd should be considered outside of the top 5 rotation slots simply because of health.

Alexander can compete for the rotation, I think he’s earned that much.

But I agree that they’ll need two quality free agent starting pitchers.  I’m looking at Mize and Skubal in the rotation on Opening Day.  I’m not confident in Manning yet, but I think it’s safe to assume the Tigers consider him a part of the rotation.  After that, they need the quality major league arms and they’ll need some depth signings to go along with Alexander (could be a multi inning reliever if not in the rotation), Boyd (rehabbing if he returns), and Wentz (Toledo).  Another Peralta type minor league signing or two would be wonderful, although easier said than done.

• Thanks 2

Even though he hasn't pitched a pro inning I think a sleeper pick to be in the rotation some time next year is Ty Madden.

He of course won't make it out of Spring Training but I could see a scenario where he works his way through the minors quickly and ends up here by the All Star break if he is needed. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

16 hours ago, romad1 said:

Love this hype video

My favorite moments personally...

1. 500 for Miggy.  I had been on "stop everything he is batting" mode for a while before it finally came in Toronto

2. Miggy bloop that scores Schoop on the summer celebration double header second game.  Crowd when the ball drops and he rounds 3rd is electric.

3. Waking up to find out Turnbull pitched a no-no

4. Akil Badoo's early season walk-off single

Mine was the Miggy whiteout home run. Sliding into second because no one knew where the ball was.

• Like 2

Looking at the overall batting statistics one thing caught my eye:

0 stolen bases and 0 attempts in 130 games by Cabrera which is what you would expect but the same could be said for Candelario in 149 games. Since almost everybody — and I mean almost everybody unless they were a pitcher — stole a base. I didn’t realize Candelario was that flat-footed.

If a guy can’t really steal a base or even play hit and run this team doesn’t waste a runner on base. Almost everyone got a stolen base one way or the other. Even Jake Rogers got one and Zach Short got 2 and neither was caught stealing. The team was fourth overall in the AL in SB and 11th in CS. Both indications of being on the better side of each divide.

The whole stolen base thing is something that’s relatively new for this team as a whole. It’s one of those things that made the season exciting.

Detroit Tigers hire Gabe Ribas as organization's director of pitching

By | 23 minutes ago

DETROIT, MI – The Detroit Tigers today announced that Gabe Ribas has been hired as the organization’s Director of Pitching, reporting to Vice President of Player Development, Ryan Garko.

Ribas, 41, joins the Tigers after spending the last four seasons as a Pitching Coordinator in the Los Angeles Dodgers system. While with the Dodgers, Ribas worked across many areas within player development, including coaching staffs, performance science, strength and conditioning, baseball analytics and others to construct and maintain a highly individualized and comprehensive pitching development program. Coordinating operations across these departments allowed him to develop and implement growth structures for all pitchers in the club’s farm system, while also assisting coaches at each affiliate in formulation and execution of data-driven development plans.

• Like 1