General Tiger Discussion

oblong

39 minutes ago, Dan Gilmore said:

I think Reyes is fine as a 5th OF on a good team, less so as the fourth OF. As a PR, infrequent day off for the regular replacement, flexibility for double switches on NL parks, you could do worse. It all comes down to the second part of your comment, Chas: how much does he play. I think 175 PAs or less makes sense. But would he suffer from not staying sharp sitting on the bench most of the time.

Probably true, although I don't really expect Tigers to have a 5th outfielder.  The fifth outfielder is probably a utility player who also plays infield.  

The one thing Victor can do pretty well on a regular basis is run bases. He's above average in that.

I think Victor's future might be in Asia, and I don't necessarily mean Japan. Or maybe Mexico would be a better fit for him. I could see him hitting around .400 there.

3 hours ago, casimir said:

My dad always said "if you do it right the first time, you don't have to do it again".

Man, if I had a nickel for every time I fouled something up and then muttered that to myself.....🙃

The allowable  time window for when edits are allowed, is unusually short here, not sure what benefit is obtained by making it so short?  In this particular instance I attempted the edit, the edit screen appeared, I made my changes, and only after pressing "save" did I get the message that too much time had elapsed for editing to be permitted.

And that just seems wrong to me. Needs fixed... once you get the edit screen open...you should be permitted to follow through...hope someone fixes this.

5 minutes ago, Useful Idiot said:

The allowable  time window for when edits are allowed, is unusually short here, not sure what benefit is obtained by making it so short?  In this particular instance I attempted the edit, the edit screen appeared, I made my changes, and only after pressing "save" did I get the message that too much time had elapsed for editing to be permitted.

And that just seems wrong to me. Needs fixed... once you get the edit screen open...you should be permitted to follow through...hope someone fixes this.

Yeah, it is pretty short. 

11 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

One concern is if they go after mid-range guys and get burned.  Without doing an analysis, those seem to be the guys that kill teams.  I'd rather they go big on one guy and then look for some bargains.  

My concern is that the Johnathan Schoop extension  is their idea of the  "big signing" for 2021,...so "stay tuned for further developments next year as we continue our quest" etc etc...I just don't trust these guys.

2 minutes ago, Useful Idiot said:

My concern is that the Johnathan Schoop extension  is their idea of the  "big signing" for 2021,...so "stay tuned for further developments next year as we continue our quest" etc etc...I just don't trust these guys.

I noticed your avatar just laughing his A off...

That seemed appropriate when I was reading this post.

Just now, 1984Echoes said:

???

By "multiple" you mean two. correct?

Two, maybe 3 weeks ago there was an article over on the MLB Tigers page stating that the spending towards improvement was not going to happen all at once, that it was going to be a multi year endeavor.  I don't believe they put down an exact time line .. could be 2 years, could be 10 and it would not violate the spirit of the announcement that I read.

I recall at the time that this announcement came about a week after the organization announced that it was ready to spend.......so at the time if felt like "damage control" in action, but that is solely my interpretation.

8 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Let's hope that is the case come next spring.  I'd love for the organization to prove me wrong and load up with top tier talent.

I just can't get over the feeling we are being hustled a bit.

15 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Don't forget, it was the Detroit Tigers who told us in the middle of our 2006  pennant chase that getting Dmitri Young back off the DL was "as good as" trading for a star...so we "bulked up" with Sean Casey instead.

7 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Yeah, might be a 2-year spend project but they're not going to spread this out more than that.

I worked closely with an uber wealthy business man for a couple decades, and they can be very funny. When an idea is something they themselves are impassioned with, it is incredible the spending they are willing to pour into the follow through.

But, when they get this idea that they are spending for someone else's benefit,  they want to measure every worm before putting it on the hook...

And I just don't believe that Chris values winning as much as we might hope for...just my "gut".

As much as I would like to see them sign Correa, I don't see them spending big.  I think they will make improvements but spending will be minimal?  I hope they prove me wrong but no matter what they do they should make enough improvement to compete for a WC spot.  Although that might be harder than we think when a 100+ game winner is taking a WC position.

6 minutes ago, Archie said:

As much as I would like to see them sign Correa, I don't see them spending big.  I think they will make improvements but spending will be minimal?  I hope they prove me wrong but no matter what they do they should make enough improvement to compete for a WC spot.  Although that might be harder than we think when a 100+ game winner is taking a WC position.

There will be 14 teams in the playoffs next year.  Any team that doesn't make it really really does not deserve it.   

3 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Probably true, although I don't really expect Tigers to have a 5th outfielder.  The fifth outfielder is probably a utility player who also plays infield.  

I think this is probably true.  If they somehow go with only 12 Ps, then I think a 5th "pure" OF is possible.

1 hour ago, Useful Idiot said:

Could be worse.  Could be shut down like the old place.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, casimir said:

Could be worse.  Could be shut down like the old place.

That's okay man, I'll just keep adding addendum posts to cover the spread.  Eventually that will rub some neurotic who only wants to read things that interest him, the wrong way, and then they will get around to fixing the problem :classic_laugh:

5 hours ago, Dan Gilmore said:

I think Reyes is fine as a 5th OF on a good team, less so as the fourth OF. As a PR, infrequent day off for the regular replacement, flexibility for double switches on NL parks, you could do worse. It all comes down to the second part of your comment, Chas: how much does he play. I think 175 PAs or less makes sense. But would he suffer from not staying sharp sitting on the bench most of the time.

Agree with this. To the extent that he's in the mix for next year, it shouldn't be as an everyday player.

44 minutes ago, oblong said:

I remember in the pregame intros before game 1 of the 2006 WS I asked my buddy “are we really going to win the WS with Neifi Perez at SS?”   Remember they put Guillen at 1B

I always wanted his name before the team name in the box scores.  "Neifi Perez and the Detroit Tigers".

• Like 1

I definitely would like for us to add one more of bat who is more of a sure thing than what we have. I brought up Castellanos before but I concede that is highly unlikely.

Another former Tiger could be a more likely option and that's Avisail Garcia. Hes a free agent and is sporting a nice .850 OPS this season and still only 30 years old.  

Kyle Schwarber is another FA possibility, he could definitely bring the HR power that we desperately need, same with Adam Duvall.

If we were to add one of those guys, upgrade at SS and call up Greene and Tork our lineup would look a helluva lot better than it did this year. 

Edited by RandyMarsh