General Tiger Discussion

oblong

11 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

and one that all the baby boomer couch potatoes remember for stealing their quarters at that.....

:classic_wink:

I don't think they stole them. I got hours of entertainment from all the quarters I pumped into Bally pinball machine. More than I got from the Gottlieb and Williams machines, for sure.

What do you guys think is too much for Correa?  For some reason I am stuck on nothing over 300 mil...In an ideal world he would get no more than 7 years, but you have to bid against the market...and the market is all 10 years on these guys in their mid to late 20's so it is what it is.  

I just do not think he is worth 300+ especially in a market with soo many other legit SS's as free agents.

Players are worth what the market says they are worth.  Whether he would be a good signing for the Tigers depends on how big the Tigers budget is.  I don't know what their budget is.  The more money they spend this winter, the higher their budget probably is, so I would generally regard spending a lot on players to be a good thing.  

The annual $ difference between the top guy (Correa) and maybe a Baez or Story, would seems to be ~$8-10M per year.  Not a huge impact on the team's annual budget. The length isn't as relevant, unless it's just stupid, which wouldn't be the case with Correa--he'd be 36 or 37 at the end of a 10 year deal, which shouldn't be too much of an issue for a pretty athletic guy.

28 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Players are worth what the market says they are worth.  Whether he would be a good signing for the Tigers depends on how big the Tigers budget is.  I don't know what their budget is.  The more money they spend this winter, the higher their budget probably is, so I would generally regard spending a lot on players to be a good thing.  

And the non answer of the year award goes to....

Just now, Tenacious D said:

The annual $ difference between the top guy (Correa) and maybe a Baez or Story, would seems to be ~$8-10M per year.  Not a huge impact on the team's annual budget. The length isn't as relevant, unless it's just stupid, which wouldn't be the case with Correa--he'd be 36 or 37 at the end of a 10 year deal, which shouldn't be too much of an issue for a pretty athletic guy.

On the contrary I think the length is the most relevant thing.  I remember when we got Prince...I was super excited and was told by MANY people on here what a horrible contract it was and how the Tigers would rue the day....they were right...I wised up.  I want the team to be good for long stretches with outside chances to win it all every year as opposed to teams who SHOULD win it...don't, but mortgaged the future and now you have to wait for the rebuild to be competitive again.

I was also wrong about Miggy...he has not earned that contract in many years...he was paid for what he did and I think that is an honorable thing, but not necessarily the best thing for the team.

I honestly think the bargaining agreement will address length of contracts in the next session.  I would not be shocked to learn they max them at 8 years...players would not like it of course, so maybe it leads to a lock out..., but who knows.

I was one of the people who didn't like the Fielder signing.  it seemed like a really impulsive signing precipitated by the Victor Martinez injury and I didn't think he'd age well.  Thankfully, they were able to move him for Kinsler which I think was one of DD's best moves.    

• Thanks 1

At this point with so many cheap players on the roster aside from Cabrera there really shouldn't be any concern about the AAV for the next 3-5 years, in fact if we do sign somebody to a long term contract it might be in our interest to front load it.

Its too early to really speculate about any long term extensions to our young players but assuming they pan out guys like Tork,Greene, Mize and Skubal are eventually going to get expensive so might as well pay as much towards a FA salary early while they're still cheap vs. On the back end when all those players may be making big money as well. 

43 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I was one of the people who didn't like the Fielder signing.  it seemed like a really impulsive signing precipitated by the Victor Martinez injury and I didn't think he'd age well.  Thankfully, they were able to move him for Kinsler which I think was one of DD's best moves.    

yeah but remember it also still cost a lot of money as I think we had to give TX quite a bit in cash.

That was also when DD said he didn't see Prince as a fit for "our ballclub" a few days before signing.

I was of course happy at the time cause it meant our team would be good in the near future but I also thought at the time Carlos Beltran would've been a more responsible option. He was still available as well and while not in Prince's class offensively was still a plus bat that could play the OF and allow Miggy to stay at 1st. I believe he ended up signing with the Cards for only like 3/30 and put up similar WAR totals to Prince.

Edited by RandyMarsh

6 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I was of course happy at the time cause it meant our team would be good in the near future but I also thought at the time Carlos Beltran would've been a more responsible option. He was still available as well and while not in Prince's class offensively was still a plus bat that could play the OF and allow Miggy to stay at 1st. I believe he ended up signing with the Cards for only like 3/30 and put up similar WAR totals to Prince.

I wasn't totally against it either because Fielder was a great hitter, but it wasn't a good fit.  The following year they would have to figure out where to play Cabrera, Fielder and Martinez.  They wound up with too many 1b-dh types and not enough defense.   

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

Yeah, the Fielder signing worked out really well from an on-field performance standpoint, inclusive of Kinsler, who was quite good.  Everybody thought I'd hate that trade, but I was OK with it from the beginning and loved it given how well Kinsler performed when he was here.

It came at a premium and some dead post-departure $$, that did not seem to negatively impact their strategy during the duration of that contract.

35 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I wasn't totally against it either because Fielder was a great hitter, but it wasn't a good fit.  The following year they would have to figure out where to play Cabrera, Fielder and Martinez.  They wound up with too many 1b-dh types and not enough defense.   

I think most people thought the Fielder contract was bad from a length and value perspective. It was done for immediate impact and they did get to the World Series and that 2013 team was really good. Ironically, Fielder's lack of hitting and not defense is probably what did them in in the ALCS. 

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

That was right after he flopped three feet to the right of third base and was tagged out during the playoff game to end the series. When asked about it after the game he said "I got kids man....". Out the door he was shipped, huge blessing in disguise.

Prince Fielder's exit from Detroit was sad...from the way he belly flopped towards third like an Orca trapped on a beach to his post game comments that conveyed a definitive IDGAF message.   Maybe the saddest exit a prominent athlete has made in Detroit...at least that I can recall

I'm probably thinking of somebody else or a different situation but I seem to recall Prince getting heat for being jovial after we got eliminated, when asked why he essentially said this is just a game and now he gets to be with his family. If it wasn't him whomever it was I know That rubbed people the wrong way. 

3 hours ago, John_Brian_K said:

On the contrary I think the length is the most relevant thing.  I remember when we got Prince...I was super excited and was told by MANY people on here what a horrible contract it was and how the Tigers would rue the day....they were right...I wised up.  I want the team to be good for long stretches with outside chances to win it all every year as opposed to teams who SHOULD win it...don't, but mortgaged the future and now you have to wait for the rebuild to be competitive again.

I was also wrong about Miggy...he has not earned that contract in many years...he was paid for what he did and I think that is an honorable thing, but not necessarily the best thing for the team.

I honestly think the bargaining agreement will address length of contracts in the next session.  I would not be shocked to learn they max them at 8 years...players would not like it of course, so maybe it leads to a lock out..., but who knows.

Both Fielder and Cabrera were older and about 1,000 lbs. combined fatter than Correa.  I think it's apples and oranges here.

26 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Both Fielder and Cabrera were older and about 1,000 lbs. combined fatter than Correa.  I think it's apples and oranges here.

Cabrera was only 24 when he signed his first extension and that extension was an absolute bargain. It was the second extension that took him to age 40 that was the problem.