General Tiger Discussion

oblong

53 minutes ago, Dan Gilmore said:

I need to dig up the old Bill James Baseball Abstract (1987? - I should have it somewhere) in which he reviews all the managers. In the reviews he suggested what profession each would have if not for baseball. He had Sparky as a house painter, I think. 

My grandpa pegged him as a bullshit artist, so, be wary of what's in the paint can that he's using.

Sparky was a very skilled BS artist, but it was mostly harmless BS.  He must have been good because I used to sort of believe most of what he said from Kirk Gibson being the next Mickey Mantle to Chris Pittarro being the best young infielder he had ever seen.   

He was actually a used car salesman for awhile before he became a manager.  

22 hours ago, Dan Gilmore said:

I need to dig up the old Bill James Baseball Abstract (1987? - I should have it somewhere) in which he reviews all the managers. In the reviews he suggested what profession each would have if not for baseball. He had Sparky as a house painter, I think. 

Actually, Sparky’s father really was a house painter. Bill James should have been more creative on this one. 

8 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Is it time to replace Comerica Park?

what would you do differently if you did?

I have a couple of peeves. The first is that if they were going to put the ballpark facing south for the skyline view, then it needed more roof overhang to protect the fans from the Sun. Too much of the ballpark is pretty terrible for Summer day games. I'd also build a little more vertical with a smaller lower deck but the upper deck(s) closer to the field.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Retractable dome?

can you keep natural grass alive over the winter in a retractable roof park this far north? I've read re-sodding a baseball field costs something like about half a million, so it's not so costly it couldn't be done every year, but I guess the normal replacement is more like 7-10yrs. And actually the bigger problem is probably that you are at the mercy of the weather as to whether it grows in with any hold before the season starts.

39 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I have a couple of peeves. The first is that if they were going to put the ballpark facing south for the skyline view, then it needed more roof overhang to protect the fans from the Sun. Too much of the ballpark is pretty terrible for Summer day games. I'd also build a little more vertical with a smaller lower deck but the upper deck(s) closer to the field.

I would have liked more than one level.  Make the first level about 2/2 of what it is, increase the slope, then another level right above that, then suites, then your upper deck, or put suites lower, who cares.  Other stadiums are built that way.  When I look at Comerica's seating arrangement it is rather dull, especially the lower level.  The rows are too long.  I really like Busch Stadium and where the Reds play.

The decision about the skyline was also a cost thing ,not just about showcasing the city.  The "largest scoreboard" was about cost.  Less construction and alas... more ads

They've improved things quite a bit with their subtle changes and Chris Ilitch implied they could do more.

3d7bb293-d29c-4e56-aa6e-543676775024-large16x9_AP21108681308589.jpg

SLP2020102610.jpg

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

I would build a retractable roof.  This would not only fix the really cold, rainy/snowy days but also the extreme sunny days too.  

I would also eliminate the Ferris wheel and the merry-go-round.  This is a baseball event, not a fair.  It never made any sense to have these things.  

1 hour ago, theroundsquare said:

I like the idea of more protection from the sun.  I would get rid of the parking lot out front and shift the park right up to Woodward Ave., opening up a couple blocks between Comerica and Ford Field.  That would be some of the hottest real estate in the City if it existed. 

I would build a parking lot at the site of old Tiger Stadium.  I know that's a controversial topic, but there needs to be more parking.  

35 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

I would build a parking lot at the site of old Tiger Stadium.  I know that's a controversial topic, but there needs to be more parking.  

what about the people that live there now?

That site has nothing to do with the Ilitch org anymore.