General Tiger Discussion

oblong

24 minutes ago, casimir said:

Yes, I hate west coast swings, too. Seems an extra drag to start the season out there.

I remember the days of long, long ago, trips to the west coast meant 3 straight series at California, Oakland, and Seattle.  Some combination of Texas, Kansas City, Minnesota, and Chicago made up the other trips to the west division foes.  And twice a season, too.

And you’ve heard of the Ernie faux pas of Bill Freehan beating his meat late one night in California, right?

Oh ye of little faith.  Didn't 35-5 start out on the coast?  That just my recollection without looking it up

3 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

It started in Minnesota.  It ended in Seattle.  

Swepted in Seattle.  I vividly remember an Ms fan jumping on the roof of the Tiger dugout with a broom and sweeping the Tigers right after the final out of the series.

Edited by casimir

41 minutes ago, casimir said:

Yes, I hate west coast swings, too. Seems an extra drag to start the season out there.

I remember the days of long, long ago, trips to the west coast meant 3 straight series at California, Oakland, and Seattle.  Some combination of Texas, Kansas City, Minnesota, and Chicago made up the other trips to the west division foes.  And twice a season, too.

And you’ve heard of the Ernie faux pas of Bill Freehan beating his meat late one night in California, right?

I hate that’s it’s at the beginning of the season too. You want to get a feel for the team watching it early on. Is Baddoo getting squeezed or is his timing off. Is Miggys batting stance tweak in spring training allowing his bat get a jump on the fastball.

Edited by Tigeraholic1

I remember there was a bitter debate about Larish in the minor league forum.  It was just the opposite of the usual minor league debates.  Typically, the minor league stat guys would say that all the minor leaguers sucked (which they did at that time) and all the minor league moms and dads would get furious.  In this case, the stat guys liked Larish and the scouting types said they were wrong.  I don't know what the moms and dads thought, but nobody else stuck up for Larish.  It turns out that Larish sucked too.    

Edited by Tiger337

While the last five months were encouraging, you can't just throw out the first month.  That one month did happen and some of those players will still be on the team.  Players will go into slumps again next year.  You just hope they all don't have one at the same time.    

Edited by Tiger337
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I remember there was a bitter debate about Larish in the minor league forum.  It was just the opposite of the usual minor league debates.  Typically, the minor league stat guys would say that all the minor leaguers sucked (which they did at that time) and all the minor league moms and dads would get furious.  In this case, the stat guys liked Larish and the scouting types said they were wrong.  I don't know what the moms and dads thought, but nobody else stuck up for Larish.  It turns out that Larish sucked too.    

My memory of Jeff Larish is sitting in the first few rows of the south side ballpark when he lost the bat on a swing and it ended up the hands of the guy next to me. That’ll never happen again.