General Tiger Discussion

oblong

I found this 8 x 11 photo I took with my first digital camera (It was huge and used discs).     

I wondered when it was. 

Thanks to Baseball Reference I was able to figure it out - very quickly. 

The only season Dean Palmer played for the Tigers while they were at Tiger Stadium was 1999. 

I went and looked at all the Box Scores from night games when the Indians were in town and only one had the corresponding inning-by-inning run count indicated on the LF scoreboard. 

This was September 23, 1999.   Dean Palmer batting against Charles Nagy in the 3rd inning.    Tony Clark was on first base.  Dean lined out to RF. 

The Tigers won that game 7-5.   They had only 4 more games at The Corner and I went to all of them. 

Man, I love Baseball Reference. 

Dean Palmer At Bat.jpg

Edited by Motor City Sonics
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I found this 8 x 11 photo I took with my first digital camera (It was huge and used discs).     

I wondered when it was. 

The only season Dean Palmer played for the Tigers while they were at Tiger Stadium was 1999. 

I went and looked at all the Box Scores from night games when the Indians were in town and only one had the corresponding inning-by-inning run count indicated on the LF scoreboard. 

This was September 23, 1999.   Dean Palmer batting against Charles Nagy in the 3rd inning.    Tony Clark was on first base.  Dean lined out to RF. 

The Tigers won that game 7-5.   They had only 4 more games at The Corner and I went to all of them. 

Dean Palmer At Bat.jpg

These kinds of puzzles are fun, ain't they?

Bbref is such a great resource.

46 minutes ago, casimir said:

These kinds of puzzles are fun, ain't they?

Bbref is such a great resource.

B-Ref made it so easy.  I figured it out in less than 3 minutes (mainly because Deano only played one season as  Tiger at Tiger Stadium).   But not only looking up the box score but then the play by play too.  It's amazing.  

By the way, as recently as 2019 I saw someone walking around with a Tiger T-shirt that said "Palmer 16" on it.  He never wore that since they retired Newhouser's 16 after they signed Palmer but before the season started, so it's kind of a rare thing.   Like finding a Rick Mahorn Timberwolves t-shirt.  I remember seeing it 2 days after the Pistons lost him in the expansion draft, it was t-shirt with a caricature of Mahorn with "Big Bad Wolf" on it.   I was too bitter to buy it, but he never played for them.  It could be sort of valuable today, especially if you could get him to sign it.  

Edited by Motor City Sonics

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I wondered when it was. 

Dean Palmer At Bat.jpg

I wonder what the count was?

When I met my wife our first date was a Tiger game.  I was a senior in high school.  We met Labor day weekend.  The following Friday I took her to a game against the Yankees.  A few years ago I looked it up on BR.  I figured if she couldn't handle going to a game then there's no point because that's what I do.

• Like 6

On 1/18/2022 at 8:39 AM, oblong said:

When I met my wife our first date was a Tiger game.  I was a senior in high school.  We met Labor day weekend.  The following Friday I took her to a game against the Yankees.  A few years ago I looked it up on BR.  I figured if she couldn't handle going to a game then there's no point because that's what I do.

A friend of mine was dating someone who was angry at him for going with us (the boys) to a Michigan vs. Michigan State game when they were both undefeated and ranked in the Top 10, a very rare thing until this year.   It was Sweetest Day.  Well, it was a Noon game.   The game is over by 3:30, he's home by 5 and they can still go out but NO, NO, that day was supposed to be completely dedicated to her.   He explained that when he started dating her she knew he had season tickets and went to every home game, a whopping 5 or 6 times a year but her stance was "You're with me now".  

The relationship didn't last, thank goodness.   

My girlfriend has gone to games with me.  I know she doesn't like football.    She's just being nice.  

2 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

A friend of mine was dating someone who was angry at him for going with us (the boys) to a Michigan vs. Michigan State game when they were both undefeated and ranked in the Top 10, a very rare thing until this year.   It was Sweetest Day.  Well, it was a Noon game.   The game is over by 3:30, he's home by 5 and they can still go out but NO, NO, that day was supposed to be completely dedicated to her.   He explained that when he started dating her she knew he had season tickets and went to every home game, a whopping 5 or 6 times a year but her stance was "You're with me now".  

The relationship didn't last, thank goodness.   

My girlfriend has gone to games with me.  I know she doesn't like football.    She's just being nice.  

My wife does so much with me that I know she hates...likewise I do things with her she knows I hate...it is a 2 way street, it is called an adult relationship.  Not many young kids have those these days...at least it does not feel like they do.  We are the lucky ones....those who have significant others who are decent people.

When we were planning to get married the minister almost refused to do the ceremony. We failed the "compatibility test" among other things (we were also cohabiting, out of convenience,  and not telling her parents)

Somehow we've managed 43 years together. I think it's because of our separate interests.   

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

When we were planning to get married the minister almost refused to do the ceremony. We failed the "compatibility test" among other things (we were also cohabiting, out of convenience,  and not telling her parents)

Somehow we've managed 43 years together. I think it's because of our separate interests.   

We have been together since 1982. We have a number of shared interests, but our separate interests have actually become things we both enjoy talking about. We knew in 1986 we were confirmed lifers when we wall papered together and had a grand time, laughing and enjoying each other's company. Neither of us had ever wall papered before.

I've scraped a lot of wallpaper but have never attempted to hang any. Our biggest shared interest is music. She played violin thru high school and college, I was in high school band. 

About 15 years ago she picked it back up again and joined a community orchestra which led to the founding of another orchestra (the birth was on our deck).

I picked up the saxophone and managed to play well enough to join a couple of community bands.

The biggest disappointment of moving to Virginia has been the dearth of community music organizations like they are in Michigan

Edited by CMRivdogs