General Tiger Discussion

oblong

35 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Hopefully guys like Dingler, Kriedler, Keith and Workman can put up good seasons and perhaps make the midseason lists.  

Yeah, I think more guys will pop up on that list but need the time to show that they belong...

Kreidler's not a part of that group though...

I'd keep an eye on Madden, Pacheco, Campos & Santana on that basis...

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

Yeah, I think more guys will pop up on that list but need the time to show that they belong...

Kreidler's not a part of that group though...

I'd keep an eye on Madden, Pacheco, Campos & Santana on that basis...

If Kreidler performs as he did in Toledo at the end of last year and he's still in the minors by that point, I could see a chance of him cracking Top 100.

But I think its a combination of having some guys who haven't had a chance to prove it (ie. Madden, Campos, Pacheco, Sequera) and the fact that they have graduated some guys off the list plays into it 

10 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

When we were planning to get married the minister almost refused to do the ceremony. We failed the "compatibility test" among other things (we were also cohabiting, out of convenience,  and not telling her parents)

Somehow we've managed 43 years together. I think it's because of our separate interests.   

Oh, this makes me so angry.  Who the hell is he  to determine who should be together?    One of the many reasons I am not the least bit religious.  

9 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Oh, this makes me so angry.  Who the hell is he  to determine who should be together?    One of the many reasons I am not the least bit religious.  

LOL well at least he was a minister, he might possibly have had some actual family experience himself.  The one that always makes me laugh is a Roman Catholic priest giving advice about marriage and parenting.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

We weren't too pleased either. It was her parents church so we didn't push too hard. The minister and I sorted of came to a truce and bonded a bit the afternoon of the wedding. It was the day after Woodie Hays slugged the Clemson player.

It was also amusing watching him get high off rum ball cookies. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

LOL well at least he was a minister, he might possibly have had some actual family experience himself.  The one that always makes me laugh is a Roman Catholic priest giving advice about marriage and parenting.

He was Methodist. We think secretly he wanted to be a preist

1 hour ago, CMRivdogs said:

We weren't too pleased either. It was her parents church so we didn't push too hard. The minister and I sorted of came to a truce and bonded a bit the afternoon of the wedding. It was the day after Woodie Hays slugged the Clemson player.

It was also amusing watching him get high off rum ball cookies. 

Wow,  God, Rum Ball Cookies, Woody Hayes and Charlie Bauman.   1979, man......only thing that didn't happen was a Disco Demolition explosion between the wedding and the reception.  

Actually 1978, add one more thing. My side of the aisle had a big contingent of Steeler fans. We got ribbed a bit for scheduling the wedding in the middle of the playoff (Pitt vs Denver). They had timed the drive between the motel and the church. Left at the end of the third quarter. Barely beat my wife down the aisle. 

6 hours ago, casimir said:

Oh, they sign a SS and now Kreidler is chopped liver?

Kreidler might have some pop in his bat and might be a useful player in MLB, but he was never a top 100 guy...

But... I'm thinking you're being sarcastic here and my sarcasm-meter is currently on the fritz. Colorize the post to help out a friend...?

Or /s?

Edited by 1984Echoes

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Much of my mother's family refused to go to her wedding because my father was not Catholic.  He is Greek Orthodox which is practically the same thing. I think that's why they never pushed religion on me too hard.   

I believe at some point in the 90s the Greek Orthodox and RCC resolved their differences and each can now receive communion from each other. Also revoked their blanket excommunications.  

2 minutes ago, oblong said:

I believe at some point in the 90s the Greek Orthodox and RCC resolved their differences and each can now receive communion from each other. Also revoked their blanket excommunications.  

Yeah -- they danced around the question of married Orthodox priests moving into Catholic Parishes for a while too didn't they - but then backed away again???

9 hours ago, oblong said:

Wow that's a relief.  Because I really give a shit what the Pope thinks about stuff, and I know that everyone else in the world does too.

10 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Kreidler might have some pop in his bat and might be a useful player in MLB, but he was never a top 100 guy...

But... I'm thinking you're being sarcastic here and my sarcasm-meter is currently on the fritz. Colorize the post to help out a friend...?

Or /s?

/s.

But, come on, it wasn't that long ago that there was a bloc around these parts that were quite coo coo ca choo for Kreidler's future.

44 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Wow that's a relief.  Because I really give a shit what the Pope thinks about stuff, and I know that everyone else in the world does too.

Would you like to see the Pope on the end of a rope - do you think he's a fool?

After Forever

Black Sabbath

51 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

I grew up in a Polish ethnic neighborhood, survived 13 years of Catholic school beatdown, most of which was attached to a Catholic church originally built around the turn of the 20th century specifically for the Polish speaking community, and still offering for quite a long time a weekly Polish speaking mass, which I sometimes had to altar serve at.

I had in my possession at the time of Bless You Boys a larger sized lapel button.  And I have no idea how I acquired it, I don't think it was something that I wore (although there was a time those things would be worn on a coat).  But the picture on it was Pope John Paul II (he from Poland, which of course was notable given my environment) wearing a Tiger hat (the home one) atop his head and in a papal type pose, with his hand extended and hand open as if offering a blessing.  And the old English script on the button read "Bless You Boys".  I wish I still had that, but its long gone.

Edited by casimir
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, casimir said:

I grew up in a Polish ethnic neighborhood, survived 13 years of Catholic school beatdown, most of which was attached to a Catholic church originally built around the turn of the 20th century specifically for the Polish speaking community, and still offering for quite a long time a weekly Polish speaking mass, which I sometimes had to altar serve at.

I had in my possession at the time of Bless You Boys a larger sized lapel button.  And I have no idea how I acquired it, I don't think it was something that I wore (although there was a time those things would be worn on a coat).  But the picture on it was Pope John Paul II (he from Poland, which of course was notable given my environment) wearing a Tiger hat (the home one) atop his head and in a papal type pose, with his hand extended and hand open as if offering a blessing.  And the old English script on the button read "Bless You Boys".  I wish I still had that, but its long gone.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/bless-boys-button-1984-detroit-tigers-463925796

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Translated from its Latin, Pope John Paul II signed the ball “To Sparky, with blessing,” and dated it June 26, 1993.

“When the pope was asked to sign it, he asked, ‘What’s baseball?’” Anderson said in 2000. “When he was told, he went ahead and autographed it. I’ll guarantee you it’s the only baseball around autographed by a pope. It’s one of a kind.”

https://baseballhall.org/discover-more/stories/short-stops/sparky-anderson-signed-baseball-pope-john-paul

Sparky Anderson donated this baseball, which was signed for him by Pope John Paul II in 1993, to the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum during his orientation tour as a new inductee in 2000. Written in Latin, the Pope's message to Anderson translates as, “To Sparky, with blessing.” B-17-2002 (Milo Stewart, Jr. / National Baseball Hall of Fame)

• Like 2