General Tiger Discussion

oblong

5 hours ago, KL2 said:

I think its probably more just alate in the cycle hire. Any decent candidate has been snatched up by this time. So its go with someone you don't know at all or at least the one you know.

I hope McClendon doesn't mess up any actual prospects.

52 minutes ago, HeyAbbott said:

I would trust any member of this forum to do a far superior job. Legendary Lloyd will be a disaster. Heck, there is probably a couple of strippers in Toledo who would be a better choice.

Strippers?  Of note, the former Brenda’s Body Shop (which was not an auto related joint) is now the site of the pizza place on the LF corner.  You may be on to something.

Keith Law came out with his top 100 this morning. Riley Greene was #3 and Tork was #4. They were the only Tigers that made the list. Kind if surprising that Jobe didn't make it but Law is notoriously skeptical of HS SP's who haven't thrown a pitch yet. Marcello Mayer was #18.

Despite all of the supposed signs of improvement on the development side it looks like the Tigers are still struggling to come up with prospects from either the draft (beyond first round picks) or Latin America. AA has been in charge for 6 years now and the Tigers are still behind many other teams developmentally. 

On 1/27/2022 at 7:49 PM, casimir said:

Strippers?  Of note, the former Brenda’s Body Shop (which was not an auto related joint) is now the site of the pizza place on the LF corner.  You may be on to something.

Other communities have noticed this effect too, that after Jim Adduci leaves there is only enough business for about half of the strip clubs. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Stanley70 said:

Keith Law came out with his top 100 this morning. Riley Greene was #3 and Tork was #4. They were the only Tigers that made the list. Kind if surprising that Jobe didn't make it but Law is notoriously skeptical of HS SP's who haven't thrown a pitch yet. Marcello Mayer was #18.

Despite all of the supposed signs of improvement on the development side it looks like the Tigers are still struggling to come up with prospects from either the draft (beyond first round picks) or Latin America. AA has been in charge for 6 years now and the Tigers are still behind many other teams developmentally. 

You are validating Law.  Any top 100 list that doesn’t include Jobe should be dismissed.

6 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

You are validating Law.  Any top 100 list that doesn’t include Jobe should be dismissed.

I tend to agree that it is silly to downgrade him so much simply due to him be a HS SP. Baseball America had him at 79 so it isn't that for outside the box though.

12 minutes ago, Stanley70 said:

I tend to agree that it is silly to downgrade him so much simply due to him be a HS SP. Baseball America had him at 79 so it isn't that for outside the box though.

I don’t get the risk with a HS pitcher.  He’s going to get better medical attention/technology and coaching vs what he’d get in college, where there is more pressure to win and pitchers might end up throwing more pitches than they probably should.  

Jobe is going to be treated with kid gloves. I’m excited about the guy.

Hopefully guys like Keith, Pacheco, Workman, Santana, Dingler etc. Can take big steps forward this year, if they stay stagnant or God forbid get worse the system could look like one of the bottom 5 in baseball once Greene and Tork get promoted.

Of course we would have a bunch of young and hopefully All Star caliber players on the big league roster so it wouldnt be as pressing if the system was bad. Kinda like the White Sox the few years.  There system dropped to the bottom but it really wasn't a major deal cause they had all the young star players on the team. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

3 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Hopefully guys like Keith, Pacheco, Workman, Santana, Dingler etc. Can take big steps forward this year, if they stay stagnant or God forbid get worse the system could look like one of the bottom 5 in baseball once Greene and Tork get promoted.

Of course we would have a bunch of young and hopefully All Star caliber players on the big league roster so it wouldnt be as pressing if the system was bad. Kinda like the White Sox the few years.  There system dropped to the bottom but it really wasn't a major deal cause they had all the young star players on the team. 

We also have some nice arms coming—Wentz, Flores, Brieske, Hill and the new draftees—Madden, Smith, Tanner K, Mattison, etc…

Maybe no one elite (besides Jobe), but many guys who could be serviceable, which is probably all you should count on outside of your 1st rounders.

I don’t mind a middle of the pack minor system when you have a young core in the majors that should be key contributors for years (Mize, Skubal, Manning, Greene, Tork, — maybe Baddoo, Hill, Cameron, Soto, Funk).

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

I don't know if that's that much more difficult than ranking between eras.  

at least ranking between eras has generally the same universe of teams, games played, conditions of play, etc.  there are a few differences in the ball over the years, but nothing like the differences between mlb and the negro leagues.  and the pool of players for the negro leagues was much smaller.  a lot of barnstorming more than a set league.  not that there wasnt a set league for a lot of the history, but not for all of it.

i dont think the two leagues were equal and that the mlb pool of players was much deeper, but both leagues were diminished by the absence of the other league's great players.

17 minutes ago, buddha said:

i think ripken is actually overrated.  he played a long long long time that helps his war, but he wasnt all that great for the second half of his career.

I guess I never really looked at his numbers, I must be biased towards him cause when I first got into baseball he was the guy that was considered one of if not the best player at the time so as a child I of course bought into it. 

10 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I guess I never really looked at his numbers, I must be biased towards him cause when I first got into baseball he was the guy that was considered one of if not the best player at the time so as a child I of course bought into it. 

second half of his career ops+:

93, 97, 107, 91, 102, 93, 89, 144, 95, 70.

he was average to below average for most of the decade outside of a fluke season toward the end when he was platooning and playing a lot of dh.

look, great player for sure.  but he's a bit overrated because of the ironman streak and how much chris berman slobbered all over him constantly.

i dont know how much better he was than derek jeter in the final analysis.  and i would definitely rank him below gehringer.