General Tiger Discussion

oblong

Jesus I just went and looked at that 93 team and I didn't realize how stacked it was, I was just a kid at that time so I only paid attention to HRs but looking at their OPS+ and it's nuts. They had 6 guys with 400+PAs with 130+ OPS+ and then Fielder with a 124 OPS+. I'm sure there is a way to look it up but I don't know how to but I would like to know how many teams throughout history could say that if any. 

6 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Jesus I just went and looked at that 93 team and I didn't realize how stacked it was, I was just a kid at that time so I only paid attention to HRs but looking at their OPS+ and it's nuts. They had 6 guys with 400+PAs with 130+ OPS+ and then Fielder with a 124 OPS+. I'm sure there is a way to look it up but I don't know how to but I would like to know how many teams throughout history could say that if any. 

Go look at the game by game results.  A couple of 20 run games in April.  About a dozen runs scored in each game of a 3 game series in Minnesota, and then again in 3 straight games in Baltimore.  Basically first place for 2 months straight until the wheels came off in June & July.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

Go look at the game by game results.  A couple of 20 run games in April.  About a dozen runs scored in each game of a 3 game series in Minnesota, and then again in 3 straight games in Baltimore.  Basically first place for 2 months straight until the wheels came off in June & July.

Those 20 run games happened the first week I discovered the internet.  I was looking at news groups and there was a messageboard where people all over the country were talking about baseball.  And someone mentioned the Tigers.  It was amazing!  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Those 20 run games happened the first week I discovered the internet.  I was looking at news groups and there was a messageboard where people all over the country were talking about baseball.  And someone mentioned the Tigers.  It was amazing!  

I was in college and walking down an outdoor concourse and a group of guys walked past me and were talking and one blurts out "Did y'all see what the Tigers did over the weekend".  It always stuck with me because I was excited to see people talking about them.

16 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

unfortunately they also had to pitch and field...

20 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

Another reason to like the '93 team was the return of the prodigal sun, Kirk Gibson, who at age 36 still had some gas left in the tank.

Gibson's defensive career is kind of silly.  Came up as an OF, shoved to RF despite a poor arm, then reclaimed a good chunk of CF duties later in his career.  I guess some of that is the design of the Tigers defensively which didn't exactly follow the Tom Emansky videos.

2 hours ago, casimir said:

The mentioned this during the Pistons' game last night.  It sounds like dimensia hit quickly and there have been strokes and other issues in the past year.

Frank Beckmann was one of the voices of my young adulthood. His is one of those voices that is imprinted in my brain such that I can replay it pretty faithfully.

His wife was quoted in the Detroit News, I think, yesterday, as saying he probably wouldn’t make it to Monday. That’s a very unusual thing to read in the media, that the relative of someone says they are going to die in the next couple of days. I can’t recall when I last saw something like that.

Godspeed to him and his family.

Edited by chasfh
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, casimir said:

Gibson's defensive career is kind of silly.  Came up as an OF, shoved to RF despite a poor arm, then reclaimed a good chunk of CF duties later in his career.  I guess some of that is the design of the Tigers defensively which didn't exactly follow the Tom Emansky videos.

Gibson’s career has one silly, weird aspect to it: he had a career WAR of 38.4, with three seasons over 5.0 (including a 6.5), along with one league MVP award—yet he never made even a single All-Star team.

Only two players in the All-Star era had a higher WAR without making a squad, and one of them was one of Gibson’s teammates on the 1993 Tigers! You know who I’m talking about …

3 hours ago, Cruzer1 said:

Love Frank Beckmann. Best football announcer from this area, which is a tall task going up against Dan Miller. I've listened to Frank since the 70's.

A lot of people dislike Frank Beckman.  I think there were rumors about him being responsible for Harwell being fired, but that seems dubious.  I thought he was a good broadcaster.  He wasn't Harwell or Dickerson, but he wasn't rathbun/Rizzs either.  

Edited by Tiger337
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Gibson’s career has one silly, weird aspect to it: he had a career WAR of 38.4, with three seasons over 5.0 (including a 6.5), along with one league MVP award—yet he never made even a single All-Star team.

Only two players in the All-Star era had a higher WAR without making a squad, and one of them was one of Gibson’s teammates on the 1993 Tigers! You know who I’m talking about …

Tony Phillips, baseball's ultimate utility player.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, casimir said:

I think that he played center until Chester Lemon arrived.  

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

Frank Beckmann was one of the voices of my young adulthood. His is one of those voices that is imprinted in my brain such that I can replay it pretty faithfully.

His wife was quoted in the Detroit News, I think, yesterday, as saying he probably wouldn’t make it to Monday. That’s a very unusual thing to read in the media, that the relative of someone says they are going to die in the next couple of days. I can’t recall when I last saw something like that.

Godspeed to him and his family.

I think it's becoming a bit more common due to age. I doubt anybody remembers Bill Bishop who worked in Ann Arbor during the '60s and '70s. Did a bit of sports on WAAM, especially Basketball, EMU baseball and hockey. He moved to Hampton Roads in the late 70s to do minor league baseball and was a sports staple in the region. 

Just before he passed late last year something similar was announced. He died right after the Michigan/OSU game.

Prayers of peace for the family.