General Tiger Discussion

oblong

I'd like to think I went "all the time" as a kid but in reality it was probably once or twice a year at most, other than a few years when I was a member of the Pepsi/Tiger Fan Club. 

Once I got my driver's license for the 1990 season I went to probably 7 or 8 games a year until the final 2 seasons when I got season tickets, a 21 game plan.    So that's probably 100 games at the most.

I estimate games at Comerica around 500. 

I love discussion like these.

I recall maybe a small handful of games at Tiger Stadium.  If I had to guess it would be around 4 maybe and a couple of those were with a friend and his dad because he had an extra ticket.  Some really good individual memories though while at the park.  If i had to guess I would say the first time I set foot in there was when I was 12 or so, maybe as early as 10.

I have probably been to about 90-100 games at CoPa.

I went a bunch in the mid 90s when I was a young teen, one of my Step Dad's clients had season tickets like 4 or 5 rows behind home plate, just a little towards the visitors dugout.  Great seats but me and my brothers would usually just wander around the stadium since at that point the teams were terrible so we'd just venture to different spots to try to get a foul ball.  Probably went  20 or so times a year for those few years.

The last few years it was open I only went to a few games that I can remember,  the two that stick out was in June of 98 against the Cubs when Sosa was on fire. The other was in I believe late July or early August of 99 against the Mariners who were my bandwagon team at the time. Griffey made the most spectacular catch I've ever seen live robbing Luis Gonzalez of a HR.

I wish I could've experienced though as an adult and in a playoff atmosphere though.

Edited by RandyMarsh

That Cubs game in 1998 is epic.  I was there and so were a few others here.  He broke Rudy York's record for HR's in a month, got a curtain call from the fans.  Matt Anderson made his ML debut Nuke Laloosh style, hitting the backstop on his first warmup pitch.  Tony Clark hit a bomb late in the game to take the lead.

Yeah that was probably the most electric atmosphere I got to experience there.  I don't remember much about it other than Sosa. At that time I paid no attention to our draft picks or prospects so I probably didn't even realize who Matt Anderson was.

Another memorable game that came to mind that I went to there was a Sunday Night Baseball game against the White Sox. Nothing memorable about the actual game it self but a couple experiences I had there made it memorable to me. One was before the game my brothers and I were walking around that little concourse thing outside the stadium(can't remember what it was called) and outside a door which I assume must of been the visitors clubhouse was Ozzie Guillen in full uniform chilling on a folding chair smoking a cigarette. We went up to him and he gave us his autograph.  Another memorable thing was Frank Thomas coming over and talking to us while he was in the on deck circle. 

• Like 1

My favorite Comerica Park story...I was there with my young daughter probably back in the mid-2000s.  The team was bad enough that the stadium was pretty empty.  We walked behind the CF camera well and noticed the door was open a crack and no one was broadcasting that day.  So, we stepped in and watched an inning and a half from the CF camera well.  It was amazing how clearly you could see the pitches moving even from that distance.  After an inning and a half some usher opened the door and asked what we were doing out there.  I replied "Just leaving" as we hurried past and disappeared. 🙂

• Like 4

I don't know how many total games I saw at Tiger Stadium, but it had to be at least 200, maybe 300 starting with my first game in 1972. Working at an ad agency as a client to media starting with the 1987 season, I'd get Tiger tickets a lot. Reps would call me if they couldn't get rid of them, which was not uncommon. So, maybe 15 or 20 or 25 a year for those five seasons. Then I moved out of town for my work. I saw probably another eight or ten at The Corner coming back into town for games.

In the 21 seasons fans have been going to Comerica, I have come in for at least one game nearly every season since, and mostly I'd see two in a weekend. Plus a lot of those playoff games, at least one every round, including the 2006 World Series (not 2012, though). So I'd say maybe about 50 games total there? Give or take a dozen?

Coming to a baseball park near you…

The National Football League suspended Atlanta Falcons wide receiver Calvin Ridley for betting on games this past season, the league said, as the country’s most popular sport grapples with the proliferation of legal sports betting and its own embrace of it. 

The NFL said Ridley, a second-team All-Pro in 2020, bet on NFL games during a five-day period in November of 2021. Ridley was away from the team and on the non-football illness list at the time. Ridley wrote on Twitter in October that he was taking time away for his mental health. 

Ridley’s suspension is indefinite, but runs at least through the conclusion of the 2022 season. Afterward, he may petition for reinstatement. The Falcons said in a statement they first became aware of the NFL’s investigation in February and have cooperated fully and “support the league’s findings and actions.” 

WSJ

• 1 month later...
On 2/7/2022 at 11:27 PM, Jim Cowan said:

Tettleton hit the hardest ball that I ever saw, batting righthanded at the Skydome.  There were 2 loud bangs, the first one was his bat hitting the ball and the second was the ball hitting the back of an empty seat about 5 rows back in the left field seats.  I don't think it ever got more than 25 feet off the ground.  The interval between the 2 bangs was no more than 1001, 1002, 1003.

2K8J44Vv_bigger.png

#OTD in 1993 Travis Fryman, Rob Deer, and Mickey Tettleton each hit 3-run home runs in a 20-4 romp over Oakland on #OpeningDayMLB_Flag_2022.png at #TigerStadium

Edited by BBFCFM

On 2/25/2022 at 2:38 PM, buddha said:

ive seen too many to remember them all.  saw the first game of the final three against toronto in 87.  then sae them lose game 3 against the twins.  think my first game was in 77.

in contrast, i think ive seen 3 games at comerica park?  maybe 4.

Saw my first game in 1962 at Tiger Stadium as a Cub Scout. Saw Warren Spahn Pitch live in Milwaukee in 1963.

• Like 1