General Tiger Discussion

oblong

It's the same feeling I get when I go to a concert.  You are outside, maybe waiting in line. You get in the lobby, walk around, get a drink then go out into the theater area and see the stage and drums set up, the lights, the soundboard.. then it hits you why you are there.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Watching that, I felt a slight chill as they walked up the ramp and the field came into view. Sure it was a dump but it was our dump and that video makes me very nostalgic.

Seeing the green of the field as you come through the walkway.....

That's what the lawn looks like in heaven.

No, it wasn't Jerry.  I cannot think of the guys name right now but he was the beat guy in '68 then transitioned to op ed style things, which is where I would read him in the 90's.  He also hosted some shows on WJR.  He passed away probably 10 years ago.

It's bugging me his name....

21 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

HaHa - Not THAT Tom Green!

And my memory is so bad I just realized it's not Tom, it's was JERRY Green that used to write for the DetNews. But I'm not sure it's this guy or not.

image.png.6477bbedb352b484136dd8c3434f64dd.png

Does he still write rambling post-retirement articles about how everything was better in the 1930s and how current players don't respect the game and fancy analysis has ruined the game?  At first, I found him annoying, but it was so perfect it became amusing after a while which may have been Detroit News' intention.    

A pretty good non Tiger book from years ago is Peter Gammons' "Beyond the Sixth Game".  It takes a close look at the Red Sox from post 1975 WS to the mid 80's.  The Sox were a bit of  a clown show during that period (let's forget to mail Fisk a contract so he becomes a FA) so it's an interesting study

3 hours ago, casimir said:

Seeing the green of the field as you come through the walkway.....

That's what the lawn looks like in heaven.

It was the green the really got me when I went to my first game, because we had only a black-and-white TV at home.

Edited by chasfh