General Tiger Discussion

oblong

Soto is 5th all time in OPS+ among players at his age only trailing Ted Williams,  Mike Trout, Stan Musial and Ty Cobb. All 4 of those guys got even better after that so there's no reason to think Soto won't as well.

I think he has a real chance of being the first 500 million dollar player when he hits FA at 26 he is just that special of player and hitter.

Or maybe Soto and his agent want to give the Nationals the next three years to demonstrate that they are going to put a long-term winning organization together that can rival the Dodgers and the Yankees. That’s a real possibility, too.

Soto is already going to make a record first-year arbitration amount whenever baseball gets back on the track. There’s no pressure to take all the money he’s ever going to make right now, or else.

Edited by chasfh

I posted this in the bar and grill section but wanted to make sure you guys get a chance to watch this if you haven't yet. 

So with baseball not happening anytime soon I revisted this with my 13 yo son, he enjoyed it. If you have not watched it is a great baseball story I knew nothing about. I mean Big League Chew was invented in the bat boys parents kitchen? You can't make this stuff up! 

• Like 2

On 2/20/2022 at 9:07 AM, chasfh said:

Or maybe Soto and his agent want to give the Nationals the next three years to demonstrate that they are going to put a long-term winning organization together that can rival the Dodgers and the Yankees. That’s a real possibility, too.

Soto is already going to make a record first-year arbitration amount whenever baseball gets back on the track. There’s no pressure to take all the money he’s ever going to make right now, or else.

its about the money.  its always about the money.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I posted this in the bar and grill section but wanted to make sure you guys get a chance to watch this if you haven't yet. 

So with baseball not happening anytime soon I revisted this with my 13 yo son, he enjoyed it. If you have not watched it is a great baseball story I knew nothing about. I mean Big League Chew was invented in the bat boys parents kitchen? You can't make this stuff up! 

My all time favorite baseball movie

Speaking of transcendent hitters, let's talk about Ray Oyler.

Most of us know how just incredibly awful he was at the plate in 1968. Some of us were alive then to remember it. He was a glove-first shortstop; it was the Year of the Pitcher. The poor guy didn't stand much of a chance.

But I had no idea that that his last hit of the season came on July 13:

image.thumb.png.9097041a3224938d6160bb2cdc3b2a01.png

Thirty-three games, nine as a starter. Forty trips to the plate, 36 of them at bats. Zero hits. An .000/.053/.000 slash line for basically the entire second half of the season.

No wonder Mickey Stanley started at shortstop in the World Series.

Here's another fun Oyler fact:

In 1967—the only season Ray finished above the Mendoza line—his slash line was a relatively lofty .207/.281/.264. He was still a two-win player that season. That's how good that glove of his was.

• Thanks 1