Roger Clemens

UCFKNIGHT

I know Roger never played for the Tigers, however I was hoping he would don a Detroit cap for Kody Clemens debut. Most parents, don some Tigers clothing, to see their son’s MLB debut. Roger appeared to be wearing a cap and polo shirt advertising a business.

2 minutes ago, UCFKNIGHT said:

I know Roger never played for the Tigers, however I was hoping he would don a Detroit cap for Kody Clemens debut. Most parents, don some Tigers clothing, to see their son’s MLB debut. Roger appeared to be wearing a cap and polo shirt advertising a business.

He was wearing a Tigers Jersey in the suite.

Of course it was the shitty home jersey with the wrong D on it... still bitter about that.

• Like 1

I live out of the Detroit television market and don’t have the MLB programming on my cable or phone. I only watched highlights of the game on YouTube. I did see a pre-game interview with Roger Clemens. At that particular time, he wasn’t wearing any Tigers clothing.

1 hour ago, UCFKNIGHT said:

Yep.  The guy will do anything for money.  I thought it was completely in character for him to schill for some company while on the field in his son’s biggest moment.  I’m a little surprised he didn’t have Kody take off his Tigers hat and put on whatever Rog was advertising. 

Roger Clemens is a douchebag.  When he played in Toronto he was meeting some friends at a high end public golf course and got into a physical altercation with the guy behind the counter in the pro shop who was insisting that Clemens pay the green fees, probably around $175 at the time.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

Roger Clemens is a douchebag.  When he played in Toronto he was meeting some friends at a high end public golf course and got into a physical altercation with the guy behind the counter in the pro shop who was insisting that Clemens pay the green fees, probably around $175 at the time.

Cut him some slack—was probably a ‘roid rage.  

11 hours ago, 1776 said:

I have never been a Clemens fan, ever. Saw him pitch against the Tigers at Fenway in 1992. The Tigers, behind Walt Terrell, beat him.

I saw the Tigers clobber Clemens in Detroit in 1987. I was behind the plate about nine rows up in the Time Inc seats. Might have been my first-ever free game courtesy of a media vehicle, because of my job. Great memory.

• Like 1

Great pitcher.  Sure, no problem but a couple of things.   The B-12 and Lidocaine injections in his arse for a sore arm.  That's not how lidocaine works.  One of the Senators doing the questioning was Bill Frist, who was a physician.  Frist didn't bother to bring up the fact that Lidocaine is a very localized nerve blocker.   When you go to the dentist they inject it directly into the gum where they will be working, not in your arm or rear end.  This always bothered me - that Frist was so star-struck he didn't ask the obvious question about why he would get a lidocaine shot in his arse. 

Another major problem I always had with Clemens is when he was in the AL he threw at guy's heads all the time.   Wow, that's tough - for a guy that didn't have to bat.   You want to dot a guy you throw it at his back or rear end where he likely won't get seriously hurt - throwing at a guy's head is a cowardly move when you don't have to bat yourself and you only set your teammates up to get hit.   

I  KNOW this, I mean KNOW it - Mike Piazza was telling the hitters what was coming in that All-Star game in Clemens home stadium.    Thanks, Mike.   

Plus there is the whole Mindy McCready thing, as if she needed another thing to contribute to her mental illness.   

I just hate the guy.   Nothing against his son (who resembles young Al Kaline).  I wish Kody well, but his stay here will be short when Austin comes back this weekend and Riley Greene the weekend after that.     

On 6/2/2022 at 8:09 AM, oblong said:

I was at the game in 2003 when he was going for 300 wins at Comerica Park.  It was a sellout.  Tigers came back late to tie it... game went like 17 innings.

I was at the Roger Clemens-Kerry Wood game when Clemens was going for his 300th win. I could've sold my tickets for $400 the pair. I wasn't about to miss a legend getting his 300th win, though.

That was the Hee-Seop Choi ambulance game. He was never the same again.

https://sabr.org/gamesproj/game/june-7-2003-hee-seop-chois-injury-overshadows-wood-clemens-pitching-duel-at-wrigley/

• Like 1

On 6/2/2022 at 9:09 AM, oblong said:

I was at the game in 2003 when he was going for 300 wins at Comerica Park.  It was a sellout.  Tigers came back late to tie it... game went like 17 innings.

I remember Ernie Harwell was announcing that game on tv.  He had already retired, but was filling in for someone.

Went to a Yankees - Blue Jays game in 2002ish in Toronto.  Kids went down to Yankees bullpen pregame and both came back with a Roger Clemens autograph.  To say I was shocked is an understatement.  Went from hating the guy to rooting for him from then on.

Edited by davidsb623
  • Like 2