The 2022 Midterm Elections

chasfh

My co-workers friend just lost her election for Mayor of Knoxville to Kane of WWE fame.  Apparently it was a +25 Trump town when he ran in 2016.  Kane was an incumbent in an off year election where Dems control the White House and congress.  She lost by 10.  I know history points to a red wave, but right now I just don't see it right now.   

7 hours ago, ewsieg said:

My co-workers friend just lost her election for Mayor of Knoxville to Kane of WWE fame.  Apparently it was a +25 Trump town when he ran in 2016.  Kane was an incumbent in an off year election where Dems control the White House and congress.  She lost by 10.  I know history points to a red wave, but right now I just don't see it right now.   

probably after video surfaced of him choke slamming Paul Bearer

Could you guys do us a favor and keep him occupied for a few years (not that the Lt Gov and AG are improvements). Maybe show him where he can get some great deals on fleece vests, possibly interest him in a partnership with the Pistons...Get him drunk on Ice Wine...

https://wjla.com/news/local/virginia-governor-glenn-youngkin-headed-michigan-campaign-republican-gubernatorial-candidate-tudor-dixon-gretchen-whitmer-november-election-support-state-convention-lansing-august-27-presidential-candidate

WASHINGTON (7News) — Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin is headed to Michigan to campaign for Republican gubernatorial candidate Tudor Dixon.

7News learned Tuesday morning that Youngkin will visit Michigan to campaign for Dixon who was recently nominated by the Michigan Republican Party to face off against Michigan Democratic Governor Gretchen Whitmer in the November election.

He seems to be on the road a lot lately...

A lot of my Democratic and progressive friends frown upon the Lincoln Project, but I have to say, both in 2020 and today, they have the best overall messaging and ads. I think this ad below does a great job showing the contrast of Biden and the MAGA crowd, anger or results, making your life better or constantly airing your grievances about people. This is the type of sharp contrast that Democrats need to be drawing upon in their ads and messaging for individual candidates. You can effectively capture people's frustrations with the way things are while still showing them that you are getting stuff done to make their lives better. It doesn't have to be either extreme anger or status quo.

10 minutes ago, oblong said:

I see the LP as an echo chamber.  And a grift opportunity for the owners.  It's nice but not really effective.  Just a circle jerk among like minded people that does nothing to move the needle.

right. The problem is that they are preaching to the converted. Their ads effectively make Dem talking points, but if those actually connected with the MAGA we wouldn't be where we are. Yesterday I heard a just a bit of an NPR segment done from Wyoming. This guy is in tears because after knowing the Cheney family for 3 generations, he is going to vote against Liz. It just made no sense, the guy wanted with every fiber of his being to vote for her, but the challenge to the self-identity he was attached to was so great it literally had him choked up to where he could hardly speak, but even that emotional impact wasn't enough to separate him from his cult.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, oblong said:

I see the LP as an echo chamber.  And a grift opportunity for the owners.  It's nice but not really effective.  Just a circle jerk among like minded people that does nothing to move the needle.

I think you undervalue the need for fellowship among the nevertrump world in a world where they need to rebuild their social networks.  

2 hours ago, romad1 said:

I think you undervalue the need for fellowship among the nevertrump world in a world where they need to rebuild their social networks.  

Well, it's great for them, it would be nice if there were enough of them to actually swing elections! It's damn depressing. Then again, when you can't swing a guy like Romney on things like renewable energy and expanding ACA, I'm not even sure there is any point in having 'Never-Trumpers'. It's fine to talk about how horrible Trump and his politics are, but if you are going to keep towing the exact same philosophies and policy lines that ultimately led to politics like Trumps, you  really are not helping.

Trump's demagoguery and disdain for democracy didn't just spring full grown from his brow, there was a GOP constituency conditioned for years with set of political beliefs that was leading inevitably up to this point. If the never Trumpers can't walk away from those, they will just leave the soil fertile for the next Trump. Some have, but almost none among the elected set where it would matter. Romney being exhibit one.

Edited by gehringer_2

15 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Well, it's great for them, it would be nice if there were enough of them to actually swing elections! It's damn depressing. Then again, when you can't swing a guy like Romney on things like renewable energy and expanding ACA, I'm not even sure there is any point in having 'Never-Trumpers'. It's fine to talk about how horrible Trump and his politics are, but if you are going to keep towing the exact same philosophies and policy lines that ultimately led to politics like Trumps, you  really are not helping.

Trump's demagoguery and disdain for democracy didn't just spring full grown from his brow, there was a GOP constituency conditioned for years with set of political beliefs that was leading inevitably up to this point. If the never Trumpers can't away from those, they will just leave the soil fertile for the next Trump. Some have, but too few.

They swung 2020 for Biden

I'm not going to knock any ally, but I want real allies. The guys at the Bulwark to the best they can by their own lights. They are mostly the true converts. But there is a whole GOP intellectual set that's still working on a serious case of hemorrhoids trying to sit on the edge they think divides Trump the man from the party beliefs that produced him. 

Edited by gehringer_2

15 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

The people at The Lincoln Project are literally the very same people who found and made a star out of Sarah Palin. Nobody knew she existed until they went and found her. 

That's true, but I can give a guy like Steve Schmidt credit for repudiating his past as long as he is willing (as he seems to be) to actually now work against what he built then. It's the people like Mitt that I have no patience for, who want to sanctimoniously  repudiate Trump as some kind of isolated infection instead of the revealed core of what they believe produces.

Edited by gehringer_2