The 2022 Midterm Elections

chasfh

3 minutes ago, romad1 said:

We definitely don't. What we do have is a bunch of brush cut dudes who bitch about anything and everything that seems to nudge in the direction of that.

Brushcuts bitching about wokeism is not de facto proof of wokeism.

BTW, love the term “brushcut” because that’s what my dad insisted we boys wear until I was at least 12. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, romad1 said:

My attitude toward these things has really shifted since I run a girl's sports program in my city.  The minefields are all over the place and the kids have internalized these things better than the adults.  If I can run this successfully until my daughter ages out without making a huge gender dynamics mistake I'll be happy.  

My problem with how we handle these issues is the lack of grace that is accompanied by it.

Obviously there are extreme cases which are irredeemable, but I don't think this day and age allows for people to learn and correct. One mistake and you're at risk of being out.

Just now, chasfh said:

Brushcuts bitching about wokeism is not de facto proof of wokeism.

BTW, love the term “brushcut” because that’s what my dad insisted we boys wear until I was at least 12. 

I apparently threw a tantrum in the barber shop upon seeing the results of having been given a brushcut when I was about 5. First and only time in over 60 years my hair (or what little is now left of it) was ever that short.  🧑‍🦱

6 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

My problem with how we handle these issues is the lack of grace that is accompanied by it.

Obviously there are extreme cases which are irredeemable, but I don't think this day and age allows for people to learn and correct. One mistake and you're at risk of being out.

Yep...there are a lot of people who think the thought police are after them.  And, maybe they are.  The kids are better at this stuff.  Although, i've seen a bit of kids using 'racism' as a jokehammer on each other.  "You won't let me have the other reeses peanut butter cup?  What are you racist? "

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Yep...there are a lot of people who think the thought police are after them.  And, maybe they are.  The kids are better at this stuff.  Although, i've seen a bit of kids using 'racism' as a jokehammer on each other.  "You won't let me have the other reeses peanut butter cup?  What are you racist? "

No doubt.

A lot of how I look at this comes from growing up in one of the most conservative parts of Michigan, one with lack of diversity and relatively low-income as well. You don't know what you don't know... For me, it took going to college and having internships and co-ops in places like Los Angeles and Chicago to actually meet people who didn't look like me or were culturally different for me. And that's a tough learning curve... Not everyone can leave and get other experiences because they are simply working to make ends meet and put food on the table.

Again, some things are too irredeemable to be forgiven. But we would all be better off (and the Dem Party would have more success) if supporters would acknowledge and recognize this and seek to educate before ostracizing/outcasting.

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Its proof of the political power of the issue.

Yeah, I’m with you on that to the degree that one’s politics is real to each person, and to anyone who believes wokeism is the biggest existential threat to the human race, it’s heart attack serious. But when it comes to the sum total of politics for everyone altogether, I think wokeism falls practically off the list of serious problems facing America.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

If Democrats lose the house by 1, I will never forgive them for punting on MI-10.

I would throw in Cuomo and NY Democrats for not getting away with gerrymandering. Also Newsom for only doing the minimum for California candidates. 

There could be a lot of finger pointing on both sides.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CMRivdogs said:

I'm don't understand why Levin chose to run against Stevens rather than run in the 10th. With Brenda Lawrence's retirement the was a good opportunity.

Stevens chose to run against Levin. Levin actually lives in 11. Stevens lived in 10 and then carpetbagged to 11. It wasn't a candidate issue. Marlinga was a good candidate who has held public office in the district for over 20 years. He was outspent 3 to 1.