The 2022 Midterm Elections

chasfh

3 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

... In the first case it's relatively easy to imagine a block of as many as 300 deciding a non-partisan speaker might be best for all concerned...

This is where I'd like to see Establishment Republicans (I have no idea how many remain in the house versus MAGA) appeal to Democrats with just such a candidate and a cross-aisle consensus gets an impartial Speaker with ~350 votes.

Even Progressives would be on board with a consensus Republican impartial nominee versus a hyper-partisan MAGA nominee... I would like to believe.

Although... that may require some negotiation that is just unworkable...

Which Republican will agree with the Democrat side of the aisle in nominating a Speaker under the agreement that NO Impeachment or Hunter Biden inquiries will commence? And for that matter... even if that promise were given... how on earth could any Republican be trusted to keep their word/ that they are not lying?

48 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

This is where I'd like to see Establishment Republicans (I have no idea how many remain in the house versus MAGA) appeal to Democrats with just such a candidate and a cross-aisle consensus gets an impartial Speaker with ~350 votes.

Even Progressives would be on board with a consensus Republican impartial nominee versus a hyper-partisan MAGA nominee... I would like to believe.

Although... that may require some negotiation that is just unworkable...

Which Republican will agree with the Democrat side of the aisle in nominating a Speaker under the agreement that NO Impeachment or Hunter Biden inquiries will commence? And for that matter... even if that promise were given... how on earth could any Republican be trusted to keep their word/ that they are not lying?

The exact count will be key I think.  At one seat there may some kind of consensus effort. 2 seats and I would think the party in control (seems pretty sure the GOP now) probably will just try to power through.

20 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

In case anyone was wondering how the votes are lining up for Kevin 

This dovetails into something I’ve been wondering: assuming Warnock beats Herschel next month, could the Republicans persuade Kristen Sinema and/or Joe Manchin to jump the aisle?

4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

This dovetails into something I’ve been wondering: assuming Warnock beats Herschel next month, could the Republicans persuade Kristen Sinema and/or Joe Manchin to jump the aisle?

I could see Sinema. I get the impression that Dems in AZ want to primary her anyway. Manchin is a different beast. Even he switches parties, there would still be a strong chance he gets primaried by a MAGA Repub.  Dem programs do help W.Va, so in a sense, being a contrary Dems gives him the potential to get the best of both worlds so to speak, and he seems to be skilled at navigating that space. I haven't followed him to any degree but he also seems like too stubborn a cus to change parties.

18 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I could see Sinema. I get the impression that Dems in AZ want to primary her anyway. Manchin is a different beast. Even he switches parties, there would still be a strong chance he gets primaried by a MAGA Repub.  Dem programs do help W.Va, so in a sense, being a contrary Dems gives him the potential to get the best of both worlds so to speak, and he seems to be skilled at navigating that space. I haven't followed him to any degree but he also seems like too stubborn a cus to change parties.

Manchin will never switch parties... just because he can have a difficult relationship with his own party doesn't mean he likes the Rs at all.

24 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

This will get the conspiracy theory whackjobs going but if you were to fix an election, a New Hampshire house seat (400+ delegation) would be among the lowest bang for the buck 

I suppose the tsunami of allegations will come soon enough, and perhaps I’m hanging around in the wrong circles, but I have heard surprisingly little about voter fraud in this election.

37 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I suppose the tsunami of allegations will come soon enough, and perhaps I’m hanging around in the wrong circles, but I have heard surprisingly little about voter fraud in this election.

I've been pretty vigilant about muting ans blocking the types who would propagate that stuff.

16 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

I've been pretty vigilant about muting ans blocking the types who would propagate that stuff.

I'm not talking about wackjob twitter accounts and that kind of thing. I'm talking about mainstream news reports about politicos alleging fraud.