The 2022 Midterm Elections

chasfh

4 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

This still is not a great day, though.  About 49.7 % of people in one of our states thought that was the guy to represent them.   That's fucking scary as hell and as bad a candidate as he was, it took everything to beat him. 

At least I won't get 12 emails a day asking me to donate (at least for a little while) 

the first thing you have to do *after* you make any contribution is unsubscribe from your candidate....

14 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

This still is not a great day, though.  About 49.7 % of people in one of our states thought that was the guy to represent them.   That's fucking scary as hell and as bad a candidate as he was, it took everything to beat him. 

At least I won't get 12 emails a day asking me to donate (at least for a little while) 

It'll land closer to 48%, fwiw

9 hours ago, mtutiger said:

You do concede the point that a shutdown of freight rail traffic would have harmed a lot of workers in the broader economy, correct?

Absolutely.

On that note, I’ve been told on this site that Putin is crazy enough to nuke Ukraine, and even without that, by supplying Ukraine and prolonging this war, are we not harming workers and famine all over the entire world?  So obviously it’s in a no win situation and Biden should just let Ukraine get screwed over, for the benefit of far more people. Right? That would be consistent right?

Just now, ewsieg said:

And you guys actually supported this man over science (a doctor)?!?! Willing to just screw over the country.  Typical democrats, just want to destroy America. 

Or now that he’s elected are you going to admit his health is an issue to excuse this imbecile thought process?

14 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

... are we not harming workers and famine all over the entire world?  So obviously it’s in a no win situation and Biden should just let Ukraine get screwed over, for the benefit of far more people. Right? That would be consistent right?

We're not hurting workers and creating famine all over the world... Russia is.

15 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

... by supplying Ukraine and prolonging this war, are we not ...

And supplying Ukraine or "prolonging the war" is not a valid reason to wish-transfer the blame over to Biden. Also... in order to NOT prolong the war... All Russia has to do is pull their ass out of Ukraine.

Very simple solution, right?

14 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

... Right? That would be consistent right?

Apples and oranges which, apparently, you are incapable of recognizing.

6 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

And you guys actually supported this man over science (a doctor)?!?! Willing to just screw over the country.  Typical democrats, just want to destroy America. 

That's a joke, right? Or are you actually trying to convince us that all those fake pills Oz sold over the past decade to make his millions were actually based on science?

Laughable.

Screw over the country? Dems want to destroy America? Seriously, WTF are you even talking about? Or is this another one of your jokes...?

11 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Not really sure what you're driving at here... as we have discussed ad nauseum, reasonable people can agree with Fetterman's point while recognizing that, given two terrible binary choices (with one that is significantly worse in the macro), almost all would go with the less bad one.

As you yourself admitted, President Ewsieg probably would have enforced the deal.

Edited by mtutiger

9 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Ewsieg... you seem to be triggered by the Dems winning in the mid-terms. Warnock has you down? Fetterman has you upset and fully triggered?

Take two aspirin and get a good nights sleep and maybe you'll feel better tomorrow morning...?

What's weird is that the subtext of Fetterman's tweet is that the railroads and their shareholders have agency, they could do these things on their own (ie. without needing the unions or the government to compel them) and have chosen not to, and it is hard to understand for the average person why they can't figure out a way to make it work.

It's a statement that literally everyone in this thread who has engaged on this discussion agrees with, and yet here we are jamming it all into our left-right ****show debate. Because that's what we do lol

Edited by mtutiger

24 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

What's weird is that the subtext of Fetterman's tweet is that the railroads and their shareholders have agency, they could do these things on their own (ie. without needing the unions or the government to compel them) and have chosen not to, and it is hard to understand for the average person why they can't figure out a way to make it work.

It's a statement that literally everyone in this thread who has engaged on this discussion agrees with, and yet here we are jamming it all into our left-right ****show debate. Because that's what we do lol

Which is where the comedy is coming in...

LOL is right...

42 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

yeah - this is a pretty simple bottom line - one party would have forced the company to provide the days, the other stopped it. There is nothing more to it than that. Work stoppage is/was a non-issue once the administration decided to go to Congress. If Congress wants to short circuit collective bargaining they darn well can and that is that.* The only possible work stoppage issue was if the workers wild-cat, but again that would have been (will be if it happens) the result of GOP Senators not agreeing to the more worker friendly settlement.

*And don't get me started again on how assinine a Supreme court is that knows full well that the Congress when it cares to use it, has complete authority over the operations of corporations (and unions FTM) in the US in such a fundamental process as collective bargaining but is then somehow thwarted by some kind of imputed personhood when it comes to corporate political spending.

Edited by gehringer_2

8 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Not really sure what you're driving at here... as we have discussed ad nauseum, reasonable people can agree with Fetterman's point while recognizing that, given two terrible binary choices (with one that is significantly worse in the macro), almost all would go with the less bad one.

As you yourself admitted, President Ewsieg probably would have enforced the deal.

Right, but as 1984 says, i'm a conservative, that's my track record.  I should be beat up in the media for such horrible ideas.  Yet Fetterman is advocating sinking this country just so a few workers can get a few paid sick days.  We're not living in my pretend land as president, in a few weeks this man will have a vote and it was the democratic party that supported him. Hopefully the likes of him don't take over the party and the Democrats can stick to common sense ideas where they get union votes, without actually producing for the unions. 

10 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Yet Fetterman is advocating sinking this country just so a few workers can get a few paid sick days.  

I interpret Fetterman's comments as advocating that the companies provide their employees seven days of sick leave. 

I dont see anything in there making a judgment about whether the negotiated deal should or shouldn't have been enforced