6/22 7:10pm Tigers @ Red Sox

Motor City Sonics

13 minutes ago, Stanley70 said:

The first international guy that received a million was Danrys Vazqez in 2010. Wilken Ramirez got close to that as well a few years earlier. Both were busts. Most years they spread the money around like you said though...

I totally forgot those names but now that you mention them...

Yeah, now I remember Danrys and Wilken...

But I think there was a large gap between those signings - nothing but small-dollar signings - until they went back into the top-30 International Prospects again... and signed Wenceel in 2016. IIRC.

4 minutes ago, buddha said:

chas said it was a "failed signing."  i just pointed out that it was a "failed trade" instead of "signing."

we gave up nothing to get nothing so is that a "fail"? BUT, as was pointed out by others, we could have gotten something else so maybe it was? barnhart was supposed to be a defense first catcher.  i thought it was nothing special at the time and its proven to be nothing special.

you can find defense first non-hitting catchers anytime you want.  if youre going to deal assets, you might as well get something of value back.  barnhart aint much value.

But if you're just going to get a 1-year stopgap guy... which is basically not much more than nothing...

Then trading "nothing" to get him is not a "Fail", it's a "Pass" - not in the sense that you are getting anyone "really good", but that you are just filling an MLB hole that needs filling for a year. It's like getting a C- or a D+... Yeah, you pass, but it's barely over the finish line of passing. It was just enough to "get by". That's how I view Barnhart.

7 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Hypothesis: Miggy is loyal to Al and so they won’t make a change until he retires 

I guess I would take the other side. I would think Chris has a lot more invested emotionally/personally in Al than Miguel. If he can bring himself to fire Al, Cabrera won't be an impediment.   Besides, what can Miguel do? He either shows up and does his best, or dogs it in order to get cut to show his dissatisfaction. I imagine the new GM might actually thank him for the latter - though very privately....:classic_wink:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

If you don't want to completely fire him you could always just give Avila some other office job that doesn't effect the team as much as a GM does.  

I do think the idea of Al being moved into some emeritus role makes sense - I believe he is the oldest GM in baseball and is approaching his mid-60s.

EDIT: DD is also around the same age, but does not hold the GM title in Philly (Sam Fuld does)

Edited by mtutiger

40 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I do think the idea of Al being moved into some emeritus role makes sense - I believe he is the oldest GM in baseball and is approaching his mid-60s.

EDIT: DD is also around the same age, but does not hold the GM title in Philly (Sam Fuld does)

make him president or advisor to the owner or something.

Edited by buddha

7 minutes ago, kdog said:

Watching Miggy last night, I'm not sure he can play through another year of this. He just might ask them to pay him off and retire. 

IDK, he's probably happy with himself for being on pace for something like 150 hits, but he'd be a lot more useful if he risked a few more outs to drive the ball more. Or maybe he is and this is still the result.

22 minutes ago, kdog said:

Watching Miggy last night, I'm not sure he can play through another year of this. He just might ask them to pay him off and retire. 

He'll be back for one more year... probably will announce in the offseason, setting up for some tributes at visiting ballparks next year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Gawd...I would love DD to come back and just be making trades for an insanely competitive Rich guy who buys the Tigers.  Rich guy is a data aficionado who demands that DD incorporates the latest and greatest analytic tools.  

Just now, romad1 said:

Gawd...I would love DD to come back and just be making trades for an insanely competitive Rich guy who buys the Tigers.  Rich guy is a data aficionado who demands that DD incorporates the latest and greatest analytic tools.  

Future owner of the Tigers as I envision him.

matrix-neo-pinterest.jpg