2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

4 hours ago, romad1 said:

Probably won't see the above on RT or any of the "Patriot" RW media in this country because it doesn't feed the dumb narrative of the guileless smoothbrained neckbeards who love them some autocracy and christian nationalism.

It was only about 250 years ago that the Royal Governor of the Virginia Colony dissolved the House of Burgess for declaring a day of prayer in support of the Massachusetts Colony.

"Only the King (or his designated representative) has the power to declare a day of prayer"

2 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

It was only about 250 years ago that the Royal Governor of the Virginia Colony dissolved the House of Burgess for declaring a day of prayer in support of the Massachusetts Colony.

"Only the King (or his designated representative) has the power to declare a day of prayer"

well, they did add "in god we trust" to the currency since then. 

6 minutes ago, romad1 said:

I can't vilify Billy Graham but Franklin Graham is a piece of work.   

TBH it seems the phrase was in circulation at least since the Civil War, both Confederate and Union Troops used the phrase. So I really can't blame the elder Graham solely responsible for convincing Pres Eisenhower and Congress.

I do hold Franklin on the same evangelistic level as the Falwell family, Pat Robertson and Oral Roberts.

Some exploitive MFs in that list

21 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

TBH it seems the phrase was in circulation at least since the Civil War, both Confederate and Union Troops used the phrase. So I really can't blame the elder Graham solely responsible for convincing Pres Eisenhower and Congress.

I do hold Franklin on the same evangelistic level as the Falwell family, Pat Robertson and Oral Roberts.

8 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

This is beyond f'd up.  This is 1. some ad person trying to get the actual word out about the maniacal aspirations or 2. they really wanted this to be the reaction because they are trying to get the vote of those doubting nazis who were on the fence about Trump.

2 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

the Trump movie includes his rape of Ivana. doubt it will move the needle, but yet another reminder that he's a rapist

It won't matter because a lot of his supporters probably think it's OK to rape your wife.  

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

It won't matter because a lot of his supporters probably think it's OK to rape your wife.  

There are a lot of fundamentalist evangelicals who think it’s impossible for a husband to rape his wife as it’s her duty to “provide”… like in the same sense it’s impossible for someone under the age of consent to consent.  

16 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

“What do you mean, ‘rape’? It can’t be rape! She’s my ****ing wife!”

13 hours ago, oblong said:

There are a lot of fundamentalist evangelicals who think it’s impossible for a husband to rape his wife as it’s her duty to “provide”… like in the same sense it’s impossible for someone under the age of consent to consent.  

Fun fact: they are litigating age of consent.

https://www.salon.com/2018/03/11/banning-child-marriage-in-america-an-uphill-fight-against-evangelical-pressure/

1 minute ago, RatkoVarda said:

replacing Biden with a younger candidate does not change this disconnect with reality

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/article/2024/may/22/poll-economy-recession-biden

Replacing him with someone who communicates better might have helped a little and very small percents are all we need to potentially change an election result.  I have been told that the system makes it really difficult to get different candidates even if they are bad ones, so I'm not suggesting it would have been easy or even practical.  

Biden's age would just be replaced with something else if it were Whitmer or Newsom. My guess is a non stop reel of homeless regardless if they are in California or not for Newsom and a 24/7 Detroit crime blotter if it were Whitmer. The limited polls out there show none of the top replacement candidates fair better. On top of that, we did have a challenger in Dean Phillips who failed miserably. 

3 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

replacing Biden with a younger candidate does not change this disconnect with reality

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/article/2024/may/22/poll-economy-recession-biden

Any questions about secret death camps for Trump supporters who get caught badmouthing Crooked Joe Biden in front of undercover Democrap operatives? That’s gotta be something near 49% as well.

39 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

How about if lies were challenged, as opposed to wondering if a “better communicator” would have made a difference?

Jeez

I really, really hope Democrats don’t botch the messaging on just how deadly a second Trump term will be. All they really have to do is use his own words about what he plans to do against him. Intersperse that with reminders of what Biden has done and will do for the people, and D should be as much a winner as basically every election everywhere since 2018.

49 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

How about if lies were challenged, as opposed to wondering if a “better communicator” would have made a difference?

Jeez

330 million people in America and they can't find someone who challenges lies and communicates well at the same time?  Obama would destroy psychopath moron Trump.  They haven't found anybody close to him as a candidate in 12 years.  

3 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

330 million people in America and they can't find someone who challenges lies and communicates well at the same time?  Obama would destroy psychopath moron Trump.  They haven't found anybody close to him as a candidate in 12 years.  

The last GOP candidate who was a good communicator was maybe John McCain and he wasn't going to win in 2008 with the W. Bush legacy and the financial crisis and Obama being a historical figure.  Prior to that was Reagan.  Not that W couldn't give a speech but he wasn't inspirational (and certainly McCain wasn't either). 

14 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Biden challenges his lies all the time. The networks don't want to cover it. 

• Thanks 1